free hit
counters
ecu upgrade kit - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
braziers

ecu upgrade kit

im thinking about purchasing an ecu upgrade kit for my v8

the kits im looking at are a (chip 1 360 diy kit ) or a (chip 2 350 - 450 Adjustable)

question is are the chip sets the same animal in both kits with one kit having a bleed valve?

(chip 1 360) is a .08 bar boost. is this plug and play and the boost solinode will automaticly give 0.8 or do you have to manualy adjust waste gates to alow more pressure.

do these kits come with decent instruction for diy or is it a find out your self kit.

whoes the best people to buy from

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If your engine is stock then I would not recommend any of the ECU upgrade chips, by themselves. The best ECU code for a stock engine is the S350 code, that was shared with the last edition of Esprits.

The reason behind this, is that any increases is boost (especially with the standard turbos) will elevate the inlet temperature, for which the ECU will dump fuel and retard the ignition timing. Both of these actions will kill the power output - kind of defeating the object. Your engine will develop higher power output for a short period before the ECU will intervene and the power will drop away.

In my honest opinion, it is not money well spent.

If you want more dependable power from the engine (something that is easily done), then you need to take steps to control the inlet temperature. This would be either through intercooling or methanol/water injection. There are other things that you need to consider when increasing the power output from the engine. These topics are well documented here on the forum - have a search in the V8 Technical section and you

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

all advice is valuable and listened to. you guys know more than i do and i apriciate all advice given. you speak of the s350 chip for stock engines. could you tell me more of the caracteristics of this chip ie does it remove the lower gear restrictors ect. is this a worthwile move or a waist of time. when you say fitted to later v8 from what years are we talking as mine is a 1999/2000.

Edited by braziers

The S350 code is also referred to as the high-torque code. As you say, it allows more boost in the lower gears, but peak boost (and power) are the same.

From memory, the S350 code was an extra bonus for the final edition cars produced late 2003/early 2004.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

iv been looking at the info on the (chip 0 s350 high torque chip) acording to the info suplied they were fitted to euopean 350s and v8s from 99my apart from the us market were it was avalible as an upgrade. or thats as i read it ( please someone correct me if im wrong ) mine is a 2000 uk model so how can i tell what i have allready?

Edited by braziers

For details about the varies chips I'd contact Marcus Freudhoffer (www.pukesprit.de), who is the guy who 'makes' the chips. I think chip '0' is a copy of the Sport 350 code Mike referred to. There is also a guy in the USA called Johan, who has similar products to Marcus'. I can't comment on who's chip solution is better, as I've only ever used Marcus' chips. As Mike said try searching the forum as the chips have been discussed many times.

If you do go for a higher boost solution, then you may have to change your wastegates. Some standard ones will not hold standard max boost (0.75bar) yet alone increased boost.

Regards,

Peter.

well i bit the bullet and purchased a 350 high torque chips that i purchased through dave walters at espritperformance merseyside. the service was fantastic i sent my ecu to him and he turned it around within 48 hrs as promised and kept me well informed of progress, the workmanship was very neat too. put it all back tonight and just been out. it has totaly tranformed the car drivability and performance. a well recomended upgrade!

Edited by braziers

I think it is a good decision and glad to hear that you

and thank you mike it was your advice i took and it was good advise. what do you mean when the weather improves? i live in the south of the uk its allways shines down here on the costa del sussex !

Edited by braziers