Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil thermostat pipe dimensions - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil thermostat pipe dimensions

Nigel

I am looking to buy an oil thermostat , does anyone know the thread size for the oil cooler pipes (I think it's either 3/8" or 1/2" pipe thread)?

I think the thread for the filter is 3/4"-16 but I could be wrong.

This is the seller

http://tinyurl.com/9wgfv

I've looked in the parts book but there is no information.

Nigel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your advice.

Pete , I looked at the website you recommended (Think automotive) but I found it a bit confusing and wasn't sure which stats. were of the sandwich type.

So I'll try again , what about this one....

http://tinyurl.com/7jgq3

Scrool 2/3 down the page and the part number is MOCTB3

Does the Esprit need an oil thermostat? I was really keen on putting one in, but was talked out of it by my Lotus mechanic. Said it wasn't really necessary. The only time my oil didn't come up to temperature was one very cold 0 degree F day when I took the Esprit out for a drive. The car really didn't like that temperature, but it still ran like a champ.

I'm surprised Lotus didn't include an oil thermostat, esp. in the SE with the oil coolers. Porsche has included them in every model.

Btw - I run Mobil-1 15W50 in the summer and instead of an oil thermostat I switched over to Mobil-1 0W40 for the few times I did run the car in the winter. Fortunately we are having a mild winter here.

-Chandra

91 SE

That looks like it would be a direct replacement for the factory piece.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by chandrab

Does the Esprit need an oil thermostat?  I was really keen on putting one in, but was talked out of it by my Lotus mechanic.  Said it wasn't really necessary.  The only time my oil didn't come up to temperature was one very cold 0 degree F day when I took the Esprit out for a drive.  The car really didn't like that temperature, but it still ran like a champ. 

I'm surprised Lotus didn't include an oil thermostat, esp. in the SE with the oil coolers.  Porsche has included them in every model.

Btw - I run Mobil-1 15W50 in the summer and instead of an oil thermostat I switched over to Mobil-1 0W40 for the few times I did run the car in the winter.  Fortunately we are having a mild winter here.

-Chandra

91 SE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have around a 13 mile journey to my work , at this time of year the oil takes around 10 miles to reach 60C.Which is around four times the warm up time of the water.It is mainly motorway miles at under 3000rpm until the oil heats up.

I don't think 60C is enough especially as I am using Valvoline Racing 20/50 (as recommended on the airbox cover) , the thermostat should keep a steady 80C.

This will have two benefits , one is a shorter warm up period , reducing engine wear and the other is the ability to push the engine after a shorter period of time.

I did consider switching to Mobil 1 for Winter use but the thermostat should allow me to run the same oil.

"pitstoppete" has fitted one and has recommended it.

I intend to order one today , I will post again after it is fitted.

Nigel

• 1 month later...
I have around a 13 mile journey to my work , at this time of year the oil takes around 10 miles to reach 60C.Which is around four times the warm up time of the water.It is mainly motorway miles at under 3000rpm until the oil heats up.

I don't think 60C is enough especially as I am using Valvoline Racing 20/50 (as recommended on the airbox cover) , the thermostat should keep a steady 80C.

This will have two benefits , one is a shorter warm up period , reducing engine wear and the other is the ability to push the engine after a shorter period of time.

I did consider switching to Mobil 1 for Winter use but the thermostat should allow me to run the same oil.

"pitstoppete" has fitted one and has recommended it.

I intend to order one today , I will post again after it is fitted.

Nigel

Nigel,

Did you get the MOCTB3 oil sandwich plate thermostat?

I was also thinking about getting one since I often drive in the winter.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Travis

I have not ordered a thermostat yet , I have been busy fixing an oil pressure problem which is now OK.

I now have a lot of stuff to buy (gaskets , oil pick up pipe , oil pump , timing belt , v belts , and some vacuum connectors etc.) , budget permitting I hope to fit the stat. when I have the inlet manifold off and do other stuff , like oil catch tank and HKS BOV.

All talk and no action , I'll post again if I get it fitted.

Nigel

Travis

I have not ordered a thermostat yet , I have been busy fixing an oil pressure problem which is now OK.

I now have a lot of stuff to buy (gaskets , oil pick up pipe , oil pump , timing belt , v belts , and some vacuum connectors etc.) , budget permitting I hope to fit the stat. when I have the inlet manifold off and do other stuff , like oil catch tank and HKS BOV.

All talk and no action , I'll post again if I get it fitted.

Nigel

I just pulled my engine out on Saturday, so I was thinking about getting the thermostat too. My oil stays too cool in the winter here.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE