free hit
counters
So I bought an Apple iPad today. - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

So I bought an Apple iPad today.

Well I didn't but I don't think it will be long! I'm looking forward to one of these replacing my netbook.

appletablet1.gif

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mate, you've got enough PC's/laptops/netbooks for vertually everyroom of your house already! Does look a nice bit of kit though. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

That makes you 50% Mac, what with the iPhone as well :)

I agree the iSlate looks the biz, but is it just an oversized iPod Touch?

I'm sure it won't be, but at the moment I'm struggling to find a place for it between my iPhone ( upgraded to 32gb 3Gs yesterday) and MacBook Pro :)

Looking forward though to the launch at the end of the month :)

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

Apple-tablet-001.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

take 2 with a glass of water, then rest until better. :lol:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Hmm. Will that fit in my pocket...................Er..........I meant boot!!!!!!!!!

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Ta-da!

apple-creation-0097-rm-eng.jpg

Evora NA

Still a bit big for me pocket :thumbsup:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ipad-video/

Looks like a big iPhone to me. I've already got a small one, a netbook, a laptop and several desktops. It's not solving any problems I have.

Evora NA

I have a 3 year old Sony Ericsson, with internet functions, email and browser. I have a netbook (1 year old) with WiFi and an 8 hour battery. The phone fits in my pocket, the netbook is eminently portable. With the phone, when I arrive in the UK or other destination, I go straight to a Vodafone outlet and buy a sim card, then use the netbook to transfer all my contacts to it.

I have freinds with Blackberrys, blueberries gooseberries, Ipods, and non of them can explain what they can do that I can't for a fragment of the cost. OK I'll grant you I describe myself as semi retired, so I don't have any commercial requirements.

Quote Jermmy Clarkson "I don't need to photograph my genitals and distribute it around the world, I just want to make phone calls".

What am I missing?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I dont see much point in it either, it does look like you say a huge iPhone/touch.

Doesn't look like there is a USB / Card slot in there.

Apple keep crowing on about the apps in the app store but to be fair 85% of them are absolute crap, stupidly over priced or copies of the same thing over and over...how many spirit levels / unit conversion tools do you really need as an app ?

The new iPhone is the one to keep an eye on - v4 of the iPhone software is out soon as well (although I wont upgrade until it's jailbroken). At least the iphone you can put in your pocket, the screen is so high res I dont have any issues reading web pages.

The only thing I think this will bring to the table is load up times, thats one thing I do like about solid state OS and things like the iphone and itouch is they sleep to awake in a flash.

facebook = [email protected]

Roger - Store your numbers on your phone and you won't have to do anything when you change sim cards. Phone storage is much richer too, the last person to store contacts on a sim card was Noah.

International pricing for the iPad isn't going to be revealed until June/July. Don't they have a currency convertor app?

Evora NA

dom_mobile_4aug08_wenn_350.jpg

This is from Mashable and is spot on...

When I woke up today, it took me about half an hour to get up to speed with the iPad. After I’ve read a couple of articles, I already knew everything there was to know about it (and more): its advantages, its flaws, and its potential.

But hidden between the lines of all that iPad coverage I’ve learned a thing or two about Apple and its plans, mostly from the things iPad is missing.

The thing is, Apple didn’t omit a camera or multitasking by accident. An engineer didn’t come up to Steve Jobs on Tuesday saying “I don’t know how to tell you this, Steve, but we’ve forgotten about the camera. No, please, not the head! Ouch!” They’ve omitted all these things on purpose, and this purpose tells you more about Apple’s plans than the things they did put in.

First of all, Flash. For years, we’ve been hearing that Adobe and Apple are in talks to bring full Flash support on the iPhone. It was almost always described as “nearly there”. Well, now that the iPad is out – a bigger device, perfect for browsing the web – and there’s still no Flash in sight, we can assume that Apple is not only not bringing Flash to its mobile devices: it’s fighting against it. For some reason, Apple doesn’t see eye to eye with Adobe when Flash is concerned, and if they haven’t reached some sort of agreement now, it’s probably not just around the corner, either.

Then, there’s multi-tasking. Nearly everyone I’ve talked to thinks this is a huge deal-breaker, but I think it makes sense. Although Steve Jobs was trying hard to prove to us that the iPad is a computer, it isn’t. Just like the iPod and the iPhone, its main purpose is to give the users an easy way to consume certain types of digital content. After music (iPod) and mobile applications (iPhone) comes iPad with video, photos, e-books, e-magazines, games. Apple doesn’t really want you to do complex photo editing on the iPad; you’ve got your Mac or PC for that. Apple wants you to touch a button, and start consuming content (preferably paying a couple of dollars for it).

Finally, the camera. Yes, it would be nice to have video chat. But once again, Apple wants you to do that on a Mac. If you want to snap photos, you should do it on the iPhone – you’re carrying it with you all the time, anyway. Once again, it becomes clear that Apple doesn’t want to sell devices that can do everything; they want to find the best form factor to consume some types of digital content, and then focus on them. If you look at it, you can do pretty much everything on your personal computer; by that philosophy, you don’t need anything else besides a laptop. And yet, you’ve now got smartphones and e-readers selling very well. Could it be that one powerful device is not as good as several less powerful, but more focused ones?

The way I see it, the iPad is not about creating; it’s all about consuming content. It shouldn’t be sold in Apple stores, it should be sold on newsstands (together with a 24-month subscription to some newspaper), in video clubs, in libraries. I honestly expected a lot of subsidized options for the device if you agree to buy some content with it, but Apple hasn’t really delivered that – yet. If I’m right, and if Apple starts doing that, most of iPad’s shortcomings won’t matter.

http://mashable.com/...pple-yesterday/

Evora NA

Roger - Store your numbers on your phone and you won't have to do anything when you change sim cards. Phone storage is much richer too, the last person to store contacts on a sim card was Noah.

Agreed on theory, but in practice, it's easier to seperate out UK and Australia, I'm only in the UK every 2-3 years, and only for a couple of months. I'm never going to make an internation call on my mobile, that'a what the netbook is for. (I'm a bit of security back up freak and have my regular contacts on the phone, on the sim ans backed up on the PC) There again I probably use the MP3 facilty most.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Evora NA

PMSL @ the picture - spot on.

Check this out - how camp is this guy ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/?ls

(see it still has the orientation bug in it lol)

"Oh its gorgeous/beutiful/fabulous" :)

Where is the external storage ???

If I wanted to take pics on my gorgeous digital camera (becuase the pad doesnt have one) I wanna view it on my faaaabulous screen to show all my amazing friends !

In all truth I bet my old dear/man would love this, as a PC it would be good for them as it has all they need and is basic to use - as a fashion accessory / show off thing it's OK as well. They'll sell to the die hard Apple lemmings though.

facebook = [email protected]

The Cheater guide to IT:

I'll keep it simple

Apple = TOY

PC/Blackberry = BUSINESS

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I sacked off a Blackberry for an iPhone - It replaces the bb and laptop when travelling, much easier and is a very useful (more useful than a bb) business tool.

Evora NA

Maybe but for commercial IT Blackberry rules the phone sector, due to it's integration with Exchange etc.

Apple have not cracked it yet, maybe they will only time will tell.

Out of interest I wonder what Apple run there IT on? as they dont manufacture servers.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"