free hit
counters
FUEL Breather pipes - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KVJ 786

FUEL Breather pipes

Hi Everyone

While I was looking over the ECU for connections, I noticed there are small clear tubes plumbed into fuel filler neck and also connected to something buried above the fuel filer neck. This is dificult to see and I noticed the clear small hoses are perished and broken. When the tailgate is lifted and looking on the right side there are 2 phillips screws holding this device but the damn thing wont unscrew( keeps spinning without releasing). Since the hoses are broken from that devce I need to get it out to fit new hoses and then refit to the body.

Anyone suggest how to remove the screws, very bad position to get access. I think looking in the manual it is called the Roll Over Valve in section 44.05A.

Thanks

Ameer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think I know what you mean, bear in mind mine is an 88 series 3, I have fuel fillers on both sides. I think the thing you are referring to is a non return valve, I didn't disturb it, just fitted new tubing from there on. On mine the tubing goes up and over the cabin window bonded in under the carpet, goes to a "T" piece which links it to the tube from the other side fuel filler and also the "Breather" that breather pipe needs to go down to below the high of the bottom of the fuel tank.

Important because if you picture the car upside down a breather terminating above the tank, becomes an open tap below it, so having rolled the car it's now pi$$ing fuel everywhere.

Hope that helps, if not post some pics.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Roger is correct it's an anti-rollover valve but if the tubing to it is cracked it's almost impossible to replace the tubing without removing the valve. The phillips screws also have nuts on the back of the valve that you need to hold which is why they are just spinning.

Real PITA job to remove and re-install...

1995 S4s

Maybe in this instance you will need to remove the filler neck, a pain but not impossible, or just swivel it to get better access. It was different tubing on mine and was still in good condition.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction . Got the unit out by holding the lock nut with a socket and then release the screws and capture the nut and washers before they fall off.

JIM you were right it was a PITA job to do.

Refitted new good quality braided fuel pipes and all works good nowthumbsup.gif , no more fuel smell. The big breather hose that goes over the window is in very good condition so I will leave it for now, since if not broke dont fix.

Thanks again

Ameer

Good job Ameer! Everyone always mentions the crossover tubing as the usual likely suspect for fuel smells but as you found there are several other tubes which can cause the same problem and are the same crappy surgical tubing...

1995 S4s