free hit
counters
Staying cool - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rogerch

Staying cool

Not that it needed it, but I decided while putting it all back together to flush the coolant.
What came out looked quite good, but hey hoy, 18 months since it was last done. I use Castrol Radicool, says it's good for 3 years. 1.8 litres provide the correct ratio for our climate, (we don't freeze in Coffs Harbour) But it was closer to 2 I suspect.
But here's the thing,it's running about 5 degrees cooler than it was, 5 degrees with a turbo is worth having.
Roger :yes:  cool.gif

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

depending on the concentration of alcohol-based 'antifreeze' products, think you will have slight changes on the temp.-compensation capacity (specific heat capacity) of your cooling system !? Maybe that's why the water-system can transport the heat a little more efficient ..?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Old thread. But I would like to ask, if you Guys use Castrol Radicool?

Or Castrol Radicool SF?   The one without strange additives bla bla. It's supposed to be more gentle for an all aluminium engine, and longer lifetime. Never mind the lifetime, More interested in the anti sorrosion. Mentioned elsewhere, when I spoke to Castrol UK, they said Radicool SF, but I would like to hear you Guys experiences.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

It never made much sense to me to put water (even with additives) into an aluminium engine. I bit the bullit and fitted a nice new aluminium radiator and then ran it on Evans Waterless Coolant. It is expensive but lasts forever (unless you have a leak of course). It is like a very fine oil--no corrosion, doesn't expand when hot, doesn't boil, doesn't freeze so no pressure on the hoses. I can sit in a traffic jam all day (not recommended) and it's fine. I have to say I am very impressed. Cheaper than a head gasket if your fan doesn't kick in! Roy.

Yea I been using Evans since I rebuilt my engine 2 years ago. Makes sense to me not to put water in there as well.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Old thread. But I would like to ask, if you Guys use Castrol Radicool?

Or Castrol Radicool SF?   The one without strange additives bla bla. It's supposed to be more gentle for an all aluminium engine, and longer lifetime. Never mind the lifetime, More interested in the anti sorrosion. Mentioned elsewhere, when I spoke to Castrol UK, they said Radicool SF, but I would like to hear you Guys experiences.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Radicool SF in the SE for 2 years now....will be flushing it for some more next season.

Why all the suspicion around water, is it the deposits or its inferiority compared to some other products at transferring heat?

Edit: I was recommended Radicool SF by a guy who has been running an SE for going on 15 years now I believe.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

It has a lower boiling point than the Evans so requires the system to operate at a higher pressure to stop it from boiling but the main reason I chose it was as I dont like the way water corrodes the Aluminium and steel parts. My old water pump was in a terrible state. I will add a pic. I just thought if I could avoid water I would.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236_zps61df728d.jpg

Thats my reason.

Buddsy

I use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and the orange coolant for the last 14 years.  My engine has 84k miles on it.

My water pump looks like this...

P5230084.JPG

P5230086.JPG

The previous owners of my car, didn't take care of the cooling systems, especially the charge cooler, tha system was packed with white crystals...

The charge cooler aluminum housing was corroded and pitted, and so was the steel pump shaft.

P3220010.JPG

But if the coolant had been replaced on schedule, it would have been fine.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I've ordered 8Liters of Radicool SF plus the same on Destilled demineralised Water. Should be enougn.

But I will try and flush the complete system first.

Tanks,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Travis I think you are probably right. My car had been standing for 14 years when I bought it with no heads.  The cooling was either cause or symptom but I dont know which as I didnt get any history with mine.

Buddsy

Jesus Buddsy that doesn't look too good. I suspect my SE *might* look like that as well. I'll replace with Evans at some point in the future. Gotta pump the rad empty first though. I guess that can be done through the bleed plug port? 

Right now I don't even use destilled water (expensive) - so just the ol' garden hose straight into the header tanks. I think I'll ensure the V8 (which is still unviolated) only gets distilled or Evans... 

Vanya you will prob be ok as mine had stood for so long. Travis's internals look fine so I think you will be ok as long as you keep ontop of your service etc.

That said if you look at the Jay Lenno vid I think its quite interesting.

Buddsy

Water's been good enough for the last 100 years... (although I am not claiming its the best)   and I suspect the antifreeze/coolants have continued developed in the last 30 years.   As a matter of curiosity, I wonder what the high end manufacturers use where cost is not a significant factor?   Tap water/coolant is fine in north of England, where we have very soft water.    

Edited by 910Esprit

Distilled, or de-ionised?

Discuss!

Hummm...Isn't distilled getting rid of all the lime and other "contaminants" and de-ionized when you only have one H30+ and one OH- left in the mix?

Distilled is more preferable for a car.  Removes the solids (the whole point of not using tap water). Distilled is slightly acidic (pH ~5.8), but the coolant mixture will have the corrosion inhibitors that will cancel that out.

Deionized water doesn't necessarily have the organics or even some minerals removed...  Also it can pull ions out of aluminum.  We use it at work for electrical measurements, and it will corrode an aluminum bath that we use.  It won't normally dissolve a more pure aluminum alloy like 1100, but the Esprit system has several different metals in contact (aluminum, steel, iron, brass, copper), and deionized would cause those metals to suffer from galvanic corrosion...  Though again, the coolant mix would have corrosion inhibitors, so it would probably be fine, just may not last quite as long.

I had to flush my system out with a phosphoric acid + surfactant + other stuff, and all my corrosion came out as a grey paste!  The system is now pretty clean, but I had to replace the coolant tanks, the chargecooler pump, the chargecooler started leaking internally, and I recently re-cored my radiator for better cooling, and to fix a leak...  So take care of your cooling systems and change the coolant often!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album