free hit
counters
Factory ECU grade - factory says no. - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Factory ECU grade - factory says no.

jeff_hooper

Picked up this possible option from LEW site. I'm sorry to say I'm reluctant to do any of the after market upgrades, although I know a number of people will tell me thats the way to go.

Phoned my local dealer who have now come back to me after speaking with the factory. The official line from Louts is quoted as saying;

'Its not worth it there is hardly any difference. The majority of performance improvement with the 350 Sport derives from the lighter weigh bodyworks etc.'

So do the graphs on LEW mean any noticable difference? Its difficult to tell what they mean in raw figure work as there are no scales at the side.

So was any comments by the factors about the 350 Sport ECU at the time the Sport 350 was marketed just a lot of marketing hot air.

These facts from Lotus might well be as simple as it sounds but, as I have now have two contraditory stories (LEW and the factory) both sources I'd like to be able to trust. Other possibilities are in my mind;

1. My 1996 ECU is difficult to upgrade (I think part of the overall engine management system differs slightly later cars particularly the diagnostics).

2. As an ex-directors car (They know which car I own) its already tweaked in some way (I doubt this because I'm very aware when driving in lower gears of the boost coming up and then dropping/being capped off to a steady state, unrelated to revs, and that capping doesn't seem to happen the same in 5th - maybe? not driven any others or been in a 350 Sport and general background noise is a lot higher in 5th! so just guess work on my part here). It had a new engine when still factory owned in 97.

3. Its just not work the factory want to be bothered with anymore (for whatever reason).

4. The bloke that does it is on holiday (sorry couldn't resist).

5. They have lost the floppy disk (still being silly give me a minute).

6. They know how easy it is to wreck the gearbox etc. and don't want to say that directly but have my best interests at heart (I do love them really).

The reason I was looking at a firmware update is that the ECU is out of the car (rusty fuel tanks at 33,000 miles 9 years) - at present so an easy thing for me to get done.

Has anyone had it done by the factory and know how much it costs (they didn't quote) and what DID it actually feel like in reality?

Discuss.... lol

Thanks Jeff

Ps. I'm inclined towards a combination of 3 and 6...

Edited by jeff_hooper

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff

Your 96 V8 will not have the gearbox mod introduced to all models at the same time as the S350. Details on LEW

They happily did my 2002 model so I think they are probably trying to help you.

Just for the record there is a noticable difference with it.

Regards

Fred

I'm no expert on the V8's, but I think the 96-97 V8's had a different ECU that is not upgradeable as the 98+ cars are. Its either the entire ECU or possibly the PROMS are not flashable.

If I remember correctly Johan, extremeesprit, had to replace the entireECU and there was still a check engine light after doing the switch, so he had to do something else to get it to work.

Though I could be wrong.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I'm no expert on the V8's, but I think the 96-97 V8's had a different ECU that is not upgradeable as the 98+ cars are.  Its either the entire ECU or possibly the PROMS are not flashable.

If I remember correctly Johan, extremeesprit, had to replace the entireECU and there was still a check engine light after doing the switch, so he had to do something else to get it to work.

Though I could be wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi All,

The V8s (ALL V8s) have the very same ECU-box (=hardware !). The only hardware difference between the MY96/97 cars and the later MY98+ cars is the fact that there is one sensor (=fuel-level) missing on the earlier cars.

This means, when you put an ECU-box with a MY98+ software in a MY96/97 Esprit, you will get a pemanent Error-Code + Check Engine Light + severely reduced performance ... :angry:

But, donot worry this sensor problem is very easy to solve inside the ECU :lol:

Cheers

Marcus

www.PUKesprit.de

Marcus

Picked up this possible option from LEW site. I'm sorry to say I'm reluctant to do any of the after market upgrades, although I know a number of people will tell me thats the way to go.

Phoned my local dealer who have now come back to me after speaking with the factory. The official line from Louts is quoted as saying;

'Its not worth it there is hardly any difference. The majority of performance improvement with the 350 Sport derives from the lighter weigh bodyworks etc.'

So do the graphs on LEW mean any noticable difference? Its difficult to tell what they mean in raw figure work as there are no scales at the side.

So was any comments by the factors about the 350 Sport ECU at the time the Sport 350 was marketed just a lot of marketing hot air.

These facts from Lotus might well be as simple as it sounds but, as I have now have two contraditory stories (LEW and the factory) both sources I'd like to be able to trust. Other possibilities are in my mind;

1. My 1996 ECU is difficult to upgrade (I think part of the overall engine management system differs slightly later cars particularly the diagnostics).

2. As an ex-directors car (They know which car I own) its already tweaked in some way (I doubt this because I'm very aware when driving in lower gears of the boost coming up and then dropping/being capped off to a steady state, unrelated to revs, and that capping doesn't seem to happen the same in 5th - maybe? not driven any others or been in a 350 Sport and general background noise is a lot higher in 5th! so just guess work on my part here). It had a new engine when still factory owned in 97.

3. Its just not work the factory want to be bothered with anymore (for whatever reason).

4. The bloke that does it is on holiday (sorry couldn't resist).

5. They have lost the floppy disk (still being silly give me a minute).

6. They know how easy it is to wreck the gearbox etc. and don't want to say that directly but have my best interests at heart (I do love them really).

The reason I was looking at a firmware update is that the ECU is out of the car (rusty fuel tanks at 33,000 miles 9 years) - at present so an easy thing for me to get done.

Has anyone had it done by the factory and know how much it costs (they didn't quote) and what DID it actually feel like in reality?

Discuss.... lol

Thanks Jeff

Ps. I'm inclined towards a combination of 3 and 6...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jeff,

IMHO I feel that 3) unfortunately is correct. They just seem to avoid service-contact with Esprit owners :angry:

4) Should read: "The bloke who did this is getting pro-Elise-Exige-Europa brain-washed at the moment"

5) Should read: "We have thrown away the floppy discs so that the guy cannot find it anymore !"

6) see 3)

Marcus

Marcus