free hit
counters
One minute survey about you and your lovely lotus! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jack _lotus 11

One minute survey about you and your lovely lotus!

Hey all,

I am a student studying transportation design at Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne. I am currently in the process of designing a concept for Lotus. Recently I started a topic about alternative drivetrains and fuels which some of you might have come across (if not check it out!). I have created an online survey which I would be very grateful if you could complete. It's only 5 simple questions and will only take a minute or two at the most, Promise :(

It is completely anonymous and the infomation provided will only be used by me, Just click on the url below

http://www.eSurveysP...75-cd2ecbafe4b8

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Jack

Edited by Jack _lotus 11

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've done it aswell. Or have I? - there - that anonymous enough for you Bibs?

Jack, will we get to see the results?

Yeah sure I can give you the average results when I have collected them all and sorted it.

What I can say is a lot of you people own Esprits, anyone with Elises or Exiges get involved, could do with your input!

Many thanks :)

You missed off two important options.

6. Are you singe, or were you at the time of purchase?

7. Do you wear an anorak?

Oh and to the 40+ age group there sould be a sub catagory

A. Are you suffering a mid life crisis?

B. Are you recently divorced?

Thinking outside the box will get you a better mark on your dissertation! HTH :)

Edited by Simon350S

Done. Couldn't just have the Esprit team answering now could we? rolleyes.gif

Also: 6 - No, 7 - Well only a Lotus one on wet days - does that count?, A: Of course, isn-t that a pre-requisit? , B: No. whistle.gif

@Jack:

Done, of course not in the survey (can't fill all in, it does not accept 'no income' option !?)

..so please feel free do add manually:

1)31-35

2)Male

3)unemployed -(no official income) ..see profile

4)Esprit V8-GT , (wrecked Elise -needs to be sorted)

5) Esprit was main car (and only registered car on my name in this time ) from '02 -'05 , now its more the toy & joy for weekends

6)Single, ever was and as far as it looks now ever will be..

7)I have anoraks :( ..and jackets and sweatshirts ..oh, and even a tuxedo :)

A) think not, as I've got the car in my 20th ..

B)not as far as I now ...

Might have done it...

So what are you trying to deduce from this survey Jack ?

... that in the main, we're a bunch of old gits that spend our weekends tinkering with old sports cars ?

Done.....I may be an old git tinkering with an old sports car...but that's how I started out...not the old git bit, but at 20 in 1966 I rebuilt a 1947 MG TC and it became a pattern for life! Never been able to afford a new example of anything I wanted, so it's always been buy what I could afford ...a used/broken/unserviceable one...and restore it to what I want. Who knows....may be playing with a Lambo when I get to be 80....

In response to you Colin, the reaso for my survey is that for my concept and following a design process I need to have shown that I have researched my user market. I have created a market map of what sort of people are buying Lotus'. By doing this it should show a possible segment in which to place and aim my concept at. On the map I have placed Lotus' current compitors and see how they compare. The questions mainly are comparing depending on how much you earn if your Lotus is a primary or secondary vehicle.

I have found (so far) by the results and speaking to local dealership, that owners of elises/exiges who but them brand new usually between mid 30s and 40s and can afford around 33k on what is essentially a toy, but this user group doesn't have much loyalty to Lotus.

Most of the hard core enthuasiasts tend to but second hand elises/exiges and keep them for much longer than their first owners, and are a lot more loyal to Lotus as a brand. Again secondary vehicle use.

Europas weren't a great seller but usaully bought because of the larger boot space, easier to get in and it offered a more comfortable ride.

It's early days for the Evora but i've classed it as a serious purchase which due to it's cost and the type owner will be used as a primary vehicle.

I've only categorised new models as altough the feedback on people who own older Lotus' have provided great infomation for research purposes I need to keep it at what Lotus are offering currently.

I have been approached by the forum to write up an article about the project which I am happy to do once have a clear direction as right now the concept is in its early stages. I am proposing that it be an on going article where the forum can comment and leave suggestions./opinions on the design. I will post my market map to see if you agree and then when the project gets to the exciting stage of sketching and 3D development the forum can comment on this as well

Hope this has answered you question, I am going down to the meeting at brands hatch on sunday so hopefully will speak to some of you then.

Cheers

Jack

The results of your survey will reflect the demographic of this forum - which is a more 'sensible' Lotus owner. There are other Lotus specific forums (including an Elise centric one) which have an entirely different make-up of Lotus owners.

The Elise in particular appeals to all ages, I've sold them to teenagers who have to take a bank loan to pay for insurance (Muppet, but he wanted the car!) to a woman in her early 70s who likes to do a bit of Historic Racing on the Continent (best road test evaaaah!).

But mostly they are owned by young, unmarried guys who work in an office environment but they don't embrace our way of doing things on this forum, so won't represented on your survey. This will be a huge gap in your research.

The results of your survey will reflect the demographic of this forum - which is a more 'sensible' Lotus owner.

Clearly:

rsz_face.jpgPaul-loves-Witney.jpg

picresized_th_1220733788_me_safe.jpgn533986641_1812338_5390.jpg

But mostly they are owned by young, unmarried guys who work in an office environment but they don't embrace our way of doing things on this forum.

This is sadly true, in fact the owner demographic of the Elise is it's worst feature, not a fault of the car mind, but i'm not about to go to any Elise only supermeets just yet. I'd need a full collection of 'happy meal' toys on my desk before they would even speak to me, the spikey hair is coming along ok though.

:)

Jack, what do you mean with *I've only categorised new models*

an Elise S-1 is not an 'new' model ...and the Europa is (similar to the problem with the 2-11) only build in small numbers, based on the different production concept (body) and source of used OEM-parts. So I think those will run out of production soon ..!?