free hit
counters
got a problem can anyone help? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

got a problem can anyone help?

hi

got problem with my esprit 2001 when on full lock it seem to skip along when your parking it and i ve notice the suspension has dropped on one side is this normal? to be honest with you i dont know much about the car and im willing to learn just need a hand in the rite direction

thanks mikey holt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mikey, welcome to TFL, and now the good news. You don't have a fault. That's how the cars react at low speed cornering. It's all to do with Ackerman and anti-Ackerman steering (do a Google if you want to know what each means), but the Esprit is set in such a way that the inner and outer wheels do not turn evenly, that way you get more stability at high speed cornering. The down side is that they scuff when cornering at low speed.

Andy

Hi Michael

The suspension skipping on full lock is to do with the steering geometry used by Lotus, its called Anti-Ackerman, its been discussed on here quite a bit, if you do a search you should find plenty of info.

It worried me when I first got mine but it is completely normal! :)

As far as the suspension being lower on one side goes, is it the drivers side?

All cars seem to suffer from drooping a little on the drivers side, mostly caused by said driver eating too many pies!

I'm sure if someone looked at my Esprit whilst I was in it on my own they'd have a little giggle at my girth!

It may be worth checking for a damaged spring just to make sure all is safe, but I'd not be too worried.

How much is it drooped?

Chunky Lover

I've no idea if it applies to your model, but on the earlier Esprits there is a rubber isolater on the springs which can collapse with age and cause the car to drop on that corner.

As I said no idea if it applies to your model, hopefully someone will pipe up and either confirm or correct.......

If it is that it's not a biggie to fix.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg