free hit
counters
Roger Becker retires - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
internets

Roger Becker retires

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When I met Roger for the first time I bowed down before him, he's a hero! :thumbsup:

Wonder if its because of all this Ferrari stuffs going on? Its inevitable some hard core Lotus guys may leave due to this!

Shame, met him as the factory and he was a real gent, don't think he'll be the last one to go though!

A good time to go, imho...leaving on the high of the Evora, and not enough career left to complete another car. Another link with CABC gone, though; it will be really interesting to see what comes out of Lotus next, with the New Regime in charge.

He's been there since 1966 so it's about time he got his weekends back! Enjoy your retirement Roger, thanks for making my cars do what they do. thumbsup.gif

Shame, another link to ACBC gone, so glad I tracked him down for his autograph at the 60th. Thanks Roger for everything, hope you are reading all these well wishes.

Edited by LooseCannon

I would say Simon may have hit the nail on the preverbial. What ever the reason I think Lotus has lost one of it's main assets. I have never had the pleasure to meet anyone who knows as much about car development and Engineering than Roger has. I hope he keeps well and looks after himself.

I am trying so hard to not be a cynic, but I can't help it. When the new CEO brought in a 'mate' to head design (IIRC) a lot of comments were posted about Roger Becker then. (edit: Nope got it wrong. It was Russell Carr) Still, to be a large part of a company, by all accounts, and then not seem to be able to pick up what I would presume to be a promotion to a higher position while more 'mates' come in does not bode well for the design ethos that Lotus was built on.

Just my opinion...

I hope Roger enjoys his retirement.

Edited by ramjet

I would say Simon may have hit the nail on the preverbial. What ever the reason I think Lotus has lost one of it's main assets.

x2.

I wonder how much the Ferrari influx has to do with his retirement.

Met him in April last year when he drove the Essex at Hethel - very fast and smooth. A real gent.

Hopefully he will enjoy his well earned retirement.

I spent an enthralling hour one on one with Roger when the Evora was on its dealer tour prior to the launch. A genuine honour. This is a real shame but a combination of age and the new regime makes it inevitable I suppose. The CEO one liner sums it up in my view - given Roger's service and dedication if that's all he can say then that tells us a lot about the new management.

Having said that the Becker DNA will continue to define the Lotus DNA - let's hope Matt doesn't get itchy feet! Or Gavan Kershaw for that matter. They had better be around in 2011/12 to hone the new Esprit or my money may be going elsewhere.

Funny stuff, maybe now when Lotus puts out a special edition it will be more than some gold pin stripping from the 70's...... How manny special edition Elise/Exige have been out now ... :wallbash:

I was lucky enough to work with Roger for 10 years while in R&D and with other projects after running my own trim business, I am afraid a lot of Lotus "know how" and history that was never written down has now gone with him forever and not sure if the Italians even care.

As you all know Roger is super bloke and has always been helpful to me in our workshops in taking the time from Lotus to meet some of our Esprit customers and talking about their cars to them and signing books for them who else would have done that!.

I for one wish him and his wife a very happy and deserved retirement and can assure you that he WILL be missed.

Nick Fulcher.

I had the pleasure of meeting him along with my wife when the Evora road show was touring and he was in Edinburgh. I was immediately impressed by him and his witty small speech he did. He came across as a real gent. He later stood talking cars, life and more to me and the wife for about 20 mins that he didn't need to, and my wife who isn't a car person was very complementary. At that point in my Lotus knowledge I just had a deposit on and knew nothing. I didn't have a clue just how much he figured in the Lotus DNA. I again met him at the press launch at Cameron House in Scotland when I was desperate to see colours on the cars and he was gracious in saying he remembered our 6 months before conversation and allowing me round the back to where all the press cars were. At that time he was talking about the press responses so far (not yet published at that point) and telling me what his ideal Evora would be. A real gent talking time out on a really busy day for him.

May he have a long, healthy and happy retirement.

Dammit I now wish I had asked him for his autograph! rolleyes.gif

Last of the breed, indeed.respect.gif

Best part of the video of the Evora test drive was seeing Roger's irrepressible mischievous grin when the narrator asked him "to try and scare me a little." biggrin.gif

I spoke with Roger on Friday and told him that I was sad that he had taken the action that he did and retire from Lotus. He is out of the country at the moment trying to get over it all at the moment.

I have been lucky enough to have worked with Roger at Lotus Engineering R&D division for about 10 years or so before I left Lotus to start up my own trim business, and still had the pleasure in working with him on the Delorean project and other projects right up to the Evora.

The passion and enthusiasm and technical know how that Roger has will be sorely missed big time at Lotus.

I think the CEO has a lot to learn about Lotus and Norfolk folk and sadly it will all be to late, hope I am wrong but that's a feeling held by many.

Roger was so passionate about the Esprit that he would even take time out from the factory and come and visit Esprit owners at our workshops and tell them all about their cars and how it was born and then even to my surprise bring a signed book of the Esprit and present it to the owners, who else would have done that.

Then of course there was the James Bond project but I guess you all know about that.

He has told me that he will come in and see us when the dust has settled and will post any comments that he wishes to pass on.

Nick Fulcher.

• Like 1

He is out of the country at the moment trying to get over it all at the moment.

About says it all for me really. I feel very strongly that this was not a decision he wanted to make, more one hes been forced into making! :lol:

Roger is one of nicest people I meet from Lotus, and he was a frequent visitor to California always making a point of getting together with the local OC crowd for breakfast after Cars and Coffee. He also spent the entire evening with us going over the Evora story at the BBQ before the 60th Anniversary, and put on a top notch private Evora preview for us in OC. Top bloke and I wish him all the best and hopefully he's enjoying his retirement in the sunshine

P1020626-vi.jpg

post-87-126549046836_thumb.jpg

Edited by fmxa

Curiously, the Bahar quote in the TLF post is incomplete and at least bears some ray of hope:

Dany Bahar, CEO of Group Lotus plc said,

Eric, i saw that the quote had been shortened as well. It is annoying if people are not completely quoted a it can change the meaning completely. If it is a personality thing that has caused this, then consulting again can be difficult as a matter of principle for Roger. i.e. If you want my opinion, why did I get let go? I have seen personality clashes cause people to move or be moved in the worldwide mining company that I work for. I do not know of one where the person has come back. Not saying that this is the case though.

Hopefully, Rogers dedication to the brand is strong enough (which I believe based on everyones comments above plus his length of time with the company), though if the direction of Lotus is changed by the new hierarchy, would Roger want to be associated with a new car if it completely in a different direction to the Lotus ethos? How difficult is going to be for a complete hierarchy of Ferrari people to change their entire thought process to design a Lotus???

Questions to which answers will only become evident in time.

At the end of the day he is 64, it's hardly "early" retirement. Not everyone wants to, or can, continue into their 70s. Roger had a health scare not that long ago, maybe he deserves a bit of time out and just needed some encouragement.

All the best Roger, you are my hero too.