free hit
counters
New elise chassis due? - Update, now with pics! - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New elise chassis due? - Update, now with pics!

As you probably know the Tesla is based on the Elise chassis. The wikipedia article on the Tesla has just been updated with this.

On 29 January 2010, in a Form S-1 filing of its preliminary prospectus with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company stated that it would halt production of the Roadster in 2011 and replace it with a new model which would not be introduced until 2013 at the earliest: "...we do not plan to sell our current generation Tesla Roadster after 2011 due to planned tooling changes at a supplier for the Tesla Roadster, and we do not currently plan to begin selling our next generation Tesla Roadster until at least one year after the launch of the Model S, which is not expected to be in production until 2012..."[42]

Its possible they are talking about a supplier other than Lotus, but its difficult to imagine what other part of the car (apart from the chassis) could not be re-tooled in order to keep production running.

If it is the chassis then it does suggest a new Elise / Exige is on its way in 2011?

Alan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the S3 prototypes, not just EPs (evaluation prototypes) but VPs (validation prototypes) are alive and kicking. It is amazing that they haven't been spotted yet. "Anglesey" is just around the corner, you may expect a S2-style big bang presentation S2-style (read: oops, look, we have a new car, and from now on you can buy this one) to not harm sales of the S2. I for one could imagine that Geneva '10 will be quite interesting. I do not believe that they will wait until 2011. And since there is no IAA '10 and Paris seems too small for a presentation of this scale...

IMHO:

Geneva '10: Anglesey & Silverstone Concept

Geneva '11: Silverstone

Chassis is different anyway, there are the monza (?) and darkstar chassis in separate piles.

Perhaps the tooling difference is to do with glueing other peoples badges on cars that leave Hethel

Really cannot see the problem being that the factory will be running at capacity

Edited by simonb

I guess that makes sense for Tesla as they are building their own factory but it does seem as if the gap in production will be due to Lotus not being able to supply them?

My possibly wrong understanding is that the Tesla is based on a modified version of the Elise chassis (lower sills so you can get in/out more easily etc) but still uses most of the same castings / extrusions. Its built at Lotus Lightweight structures in Worcester and unless they were retooling to produce a new Elise chassis it does not make any sense to stop Tesla production for a year or so.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

The car gets a mention in the Independent.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the facelift

036.jpg

but why did they not give us the same rear access to the engine compartment and luggage area as the Tesla?

045.jpg