free hit
counters
2007 Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

2007 Esprit

LotusS4S

2007 Lotus Esprit w/BMW 470hp / 1250kg / $93,500  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely a question of "if I had the money" for me...

I don't doubt that lotus can make something amazing engineeringwise in the chassis department. I'm certain that they can do amazing things with the engine, whether it's a V10, a V8, or a 4 banger (which I think it ought to have :)).

What I can't trust is how it's going to look. I would buy one so long as it didn't look like an Embarassment (If it comes out looking like an M250, any of the "design concepts" featured in magazines, or anything like the Europa, then I will count it as an embarassment).

I probably shouldn't be worried about that so much, except that so many of the things I've read here and observed have led me to believe the design might be erring more towards "embarassment" :)

Guess that makes me superficial. That makes or breaks the deal for me though. If I wanted something that had great performance and looked good... well I'd just buy an old Esprit. Even an S car :o

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

It would depend on how it looks. The only thing that's drawn me to the Esprit since I was a kid (Given I've never even sat in one!) is its' looks.

So, the specs wouldn't matter to me really, plus the Esprit already exists for me in my dreams as an S3 Turbo so don't need a new one!

MK1 Volkswagen Golf Owners Club Well, had to get this one in if anyones interested?!

Academic, as i can't afford it, and if i had that kind of money

to spend (outside of a mortgage) i'm not sure i'd spend it all

that way, especially not on a first model new sportscar.

:angry:

When new in 1993, an SE cost more than the house i bought

that year, the esprit is now worth less than a third of it's new

price. The house is worth 4-5 times as much. Knowing this i

'think' but can't be sure, i would not buy a new one IF able to...

I am 100% sure that Lotus will follow the elise system of after

6 months introducing a 'sport 500' model then a 'sport 500 SE',

then a 'sport 500 GT3' (stripped out version), then a 'sport 550',

a 'sport 600?', then an 'Esprit S2 SE'....

I think waiting will be the sensible choice. after as little as 1 year

i think the first models will be cheap enough to buy AND upgrade

to what will be the current spec but without too much loss.

There is of course no doubt that if you are the guy turning up at

one of our meets with the first new Esprit we have seen. We will

all be all over it, and wanting one bigtime.

So all of the above is rubbish!!!!!!!!

B) B) B)

There is much speculation at this point about what, if anything, will replace the Esprit now that the current production has ended.

I can tell you that recently, Tony Shute from Lotus Cars, LTD. invited several of us to a seminar with the Lotus design team. The goal was to discuss the design issues for the future Esprit replacement. All attendees were required to sign non-disclosure agreements and no cameras were allowed. However, I can say that the Esprit replacement program is well under way and that there is already at least one test mule running on the track at Hethel. The test mule is using a modified Esprit V8 body for camouflage but with a much wider front and rear track. A new engine supplier has already been chosen and we were shown a preliminary 1/6 scale clay model of the car. I can't say much about the shape of the new car except that the wedge styling is still there (for those who feared a larger scale Elise). and is a blend between a Gallardo and the current Stevens Esprit. We were invited to cast our votes on various names for the new vehicle. Although there is the possibility Lotus will reuse the Esprit name, another name may be chosen. Some of the suggested names were rather interesting.

There is no official word on when the replacement will be available; but the current speculation is that a new car will be released at the Paris Motor Show in 2006 in time to celebrate the 30th year anniversary of the introduction of the original Giugiaro design. Recently, several magazines have been quoting leaked information claiming that the Esprit replacement will be built in Malaysia which is the home of parent company, Proton. Lotus official deny this is atrue at this point.

Trusting fellow Esprit enthusiasts opinion above, I will be interested in buying it when it becomes affordable to me.

Even though I spend a lot of time having a go at Lotus (the company), I am a fan, they are British, and it would be my first choice above a foreign brand - unless it is cr*p and not a world beating product like the original.

I like the styling of the Gallardo, and if it updates on the Steven's (not the Thompson) SE, then I am very possibly interested.

The engine choice is probably going to be a buy-in, as most Lotus engines of the past were. Although it doesn't impress me that they have not moved into producing their own motors after a successful V8, we have to make the best of what Lotus is today. I don't agree with them, and i don't like it, but I'd back them anyway - because they are ours.

But if the car doesn't compete well with others, and doesn't look that good, then it will not be worth the money, so one can only answer this question when they pull the covers off. Oherwise it is academic, especially as they haven't taken the time to allow a few of us hardcore UK fans to take a peek and guide them with our thoughts.

But then they are obviously confident they will succeed - let's see.

At $93,000 it's unattainable for me and I'm also very, very afraid that it will have bangleized styling. (*)

I'm happy with my Giugiaro styled Esprit. If I had the money and the garage space for the new Esprit, I'd instead get a '90 SE or possibly a V8 Esprit. Maybe even something with a Cavallino Rampante.

-Dave

(*)To be more specific, I dislike styling where the lines and shapes do not form a cohesive whole. Rather, the lines and panels seem to be independent of each other and tacked on, resulting in a jarring interruption of the flow or smoothness of the body's lines.

Edited by mr50bmg

All Cows Eat Grass

BTW it's a V10 not a V8 and will more like to be priced at more than that!

Sorry dave is a V8

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

(*)To be more specific, I dislike styling where the lines and shapes do not form a cohesive whole.  Rather, the lines and panels seem to be independent of each other and tacked on, resulting in a jarring interruption of the flow or smoothness of the body's lines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kind of like what Julian Thompson did to the Stevens shape... :angry:

Yeah i can imagine a V10 is just too long to fit sensibly in the engine bay, longitudinally, so I would guess at a V8 too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This should not be a problem, they could offer a transverse layout like a F355? I mean the Gallardo isn't a big car by any means...

It took me 20yrs to get my 1983 Turbo Esprit :(

Put me down for a 2007 in 2027 (if its any good) :angry:

Seriously, I have become so disilusioned with new cars , it will be a miracle if I actually like the new one(if it gets built) :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Wayne...if we wait till 2027 to buy it then we won't be able to afford any petrol/gas to put in it by then!

:lol:

Jim

There is NO WAY the new Lotus will be even remotely similar in price to a new Lamborghini Miura! :lol:

The Poll is missing several vital options:

* Don't / Won't have the money

* It's a new Lotus... I'm not stupid, I will wait until the S2 sorts out all the problems.

I too am very pissed off that a handful of American customers and enthusiasts have been given a peek but only Dealers in the UK. It shows where they believe their market is.

Car design by committee - ESPECIALLY an American one (sorry guys but I'm about to prove my point) is a really bad idea.

1) Maseratti tail lights - those stylish LED boomerangs got swapped for mondeo ones because of an American focus group (<valley girl accent> "Uhhh they look weird")

2) Anything ever produced by Saleen ESPEICALLY the S7 which is the wost designed supercar ever. It's the worst example of a lack of design taste which all depends on knowing that less is more. The S7 is clearly the product of a more-is-more mentality and has had *every single* design cue EVER chucked onto one abortive lump of mash.

If you REALLY want it to look beautful, stop fucking around and do it properly... ask an Italian focus group. :angry:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

The worst thing that ever happened to car styling was the use of focus groups :lol:

You gather 10 people to look at a car, 9 like it ,one doesnt .

It gets changed!

Leads to ever more mediocre designs from some companies(GM especially)

If your boss has faith and support for a designers ideas, great looks can develop.

If not , the "committee special" is the sad result :angry:

Im now going to have a stiff drink(at 8.20 pm) :(

SUNP0003-1.jpg

When new in 1993, an SE cost more than the house i bought

that year, the esprit is now worth less than a third of it's new

price. The house is worth 4-5 times as much. Knowing this i

'think' but can't be sure, i would not buy a new one IF able to...

I agree. There's nothing financially rational about owning a new Esprit.

The Lambo Miura is indeed NOT scheduled for any kind of production at all at this time. So no competition there at this time.

Also the Maserati tail lights (which the original I loved) did not make it to U.S production becuase of U.S regulations not becuase of any focus groups "claiming they look wierd". True some of the regs we have are dumb so things like this are a shame.