free hit
counters
Almost wish they'd just called it the Esprit... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Almost wish they'd just called it the Esprit...

slade

It would at least lay to rest my probably overwrought anxiety about Lotus putting out something that's an embarassment to the Esprit name. Maybe it's not in the Esprit spirit, but it's an awesome car... 124 horses per litre, 0-60 in 4.1, 0-100 in less than 10.

But not in the US. Goddamn it.

Color keying looks nice

Lotus_Exige-S_Front_3Qtr_Low[1].JPG

15822.jpg

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the numbers, but DAMN if that isn't one ugly mother....!

Why does Lotus seem to revel in ugly coach work?

The Esprit was just a fluke.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

I like the Elise/Exige. Think it's the prettiest thing anyone makes nowadays... Short of maybe the Gallardo and a few Astons (doesn't matter which- they all look alike :lol:).

I don't think the Esprit was a fluke lookswise. Lotus made these before and they're plenty pretty

lotuselanS4.jpg

lotus4.jpg

lotus-elan-plus2_67_1.jpg

EUROPA4.jpg

ok just kidding about that last one. but only a bit :angry:

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

The Bank's Europa type 62 with all the muscle on it looks fantastic.

62Lot-b5.jpg

Always been tempted by one.

The Esprit is by far the best road car for looks imo. I think the S2 Elise / Exige looks amazing as well, there are some bits I dont like which you can hide in different colours like the tear drop indicators and the silly mouth - you def have to see it in the flesh to appreciate it.

facebook = [email protected]

Looks like a mini gt40 to me, have never seen any pictures of this car

before, looks fantastic, :angry: i have always liked the europa, wonder if anybody ever made the moulds to convert a normal europa! :lol:

Edited by silverfrost

A

yeah always thought that the europa was an intersting looking car. that type 62 is beautiful though. wouldnt mind a replica of those...

but i do like the exige s. should be a fun car. i would love one as my "daily driver"

shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

The Type 62 was awesome. There was an even more potent Europa, the GKN Type 47D, with a Rover V8 installed. Only 1 was ever made. I've got a picture somewhere, will have to dig it out. Here's some information on it:

Lotus Europa Type 47D

Shouldn't be, Elise R and the Exige have the same engines, Exige is lighter iirc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in the CAR and Driver magazine for march 2006, comparing the Caymen vs Exige.. its says Exige is slower then the Elise. I have the article right here..

i cant believe they picked the Caymen instead of the Exige

anyone wants the article on Exige vs Caymen just note me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Exige is slightly slower in a straight line by virtue of it being slightly heavier. However, with ten times the down force of the Elise at 100mph, it is much faster on a road circuit. It also comes with stickier compound tires and the base suspension package offered is the equivilant of the sport package on the Elise.

Driving the car around town does not give much indication of any difference. The ride is harsher and the rearward view is virtually non-existant.

Hold a cheese grater at arms length and that is about what it looks like looking through the rear view mirror.

The Exige seats are a better fit than even the newer 06 Elise seats and are set up to accomodate a 5 point harness.

Otherwise the interiors are essentially identical in appearance.

Exhaust note is identical to that of the Elise.

The Exige is slightly slower in a straight line by virtue of it being slightly heavier. However, with ten times the down force of the Elise at 100mph, it is much faster on a road circuit. It also comes with stickier compound tires and the base suspension package offered is the equivilant of the sport package on the Elise.

Driving the car around town does not give much indication of any difference. The ride is harsher and the rearward view is virtually non-existant.

Hold a cheese grater at arms length and that is about what it looks like looking through the rear view mirror.

The Exige seats are a better fit than even the newer 06 Elise seats and are set up to accomodate a 5 point harness.

Otherwise the interiors are essentially identical in appearance.

Exhaust note is identical to that of the Elise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sooooo basically you are saying that the exige is pretty much better in everyway. :P

Shah

I didn't know the base Exige was heavier !

Only way to tell is put both cars under the same conditions in the test (ie fuel, driver, temperature, test equipment, wind etc) to see which is faster.

I'd question how much aerodynamics plays on a 0-60 time, yes it'll affect it but by 0.8 secs ? hmmmm.

This the link ?

Clicky

Again the Lotus styling is so much better.

I can see why the Coxster is more appealing to the masses than the Exige and why it's gonna get a better vote - but can't see how you can really compare them, one is for people who can't get into a 911, the other is a track car for the road and who want's the basics as opposed to the one that needs 1/2 the computers changed in it to get the perscribed 4000 different windscreen wiper modes to work when things go wrong :P

I personally wouldn't pay too much attention to 0-60's unless the variables are all completely the same.

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

short of a 959... or maybe even a 928 which I've always had a wierd affinity for, I can't get boners over Porsches. My dad had a 356B when I was younger. Didn't capture my attention as much as the flamed out El Camino :P

Boxter/Cayman seems to be in the same picture as the 914- could potentially be a better car than the 911, but Porsche is unwilling to develop it.

In the 80s Porsche's strategy was horizontal rather than vertical, and the 944 provided similar performance to the 911, just in a different package for those who have no affinity for 911s (me). I'd rather see a return to that than have Porsche hold back a platform that could potentially outperform a 911 just cause the 911s supposed to be the best.

slade

short of a 959... or maybe even a 928 which I've always had a wierd affinity for, I can't get boners over Porsches. slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 928 is a beautiful car in my opinion as well. if only it wasnt such a ass to work on...

Shah

Love the early 928 :P

Caused a load of contraversy when it was released :P

Water cooled V8 engine in wrong end of car etc.

Designed by Tony Lapine (ex GM studio X, where the Vettes were done)

My favourite roadgoing Porker :)

Porsche-928.jpg

Oh, I dont like the Exige (I just dont get it , Im afraid) :(

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg