free hit
counters
Girling Rear Caliper Pre '85 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Boots

Girling Rear Caliper Pre '85

Hi all

Hubby just got the handbrake working for the MOT (hope it passes on Monday at the re-test)

Needed to retract the piston by turning through 45 degrees but none of his screwdrivers fit the slot as per the diagram in the manual.

To the rescue came an ordinary cheap teaspoon. Fitted the slot and worked like a charm!

So now I have one less teaspoon and a happy hubby :lol:

Sue

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A TEASPOON?!! Crikey...I would have thought the average teaspoon would simply have bent under the strain..you must use the "Acme Dreadnaught" teaspoon in your family!! Every time I have to do that operation, I have to use an old tyre lever which has been ground flat and just fits in the piston slot..and even then, I end up making the "blood sacrifice". Generally, when the handbrake ceases to function, it's because the operating lever isn't going back to the stop...this means that the self adjusting mechanism doesn't work. The spindle, being exposed to road gunge, gets too stiff to return under the force of the return spring. I usually have to remove the whole back of the cylinder assembly, the handbrake mechanism is in there, get it off the car, free it all up with WD40 and brute force until the lever moves freely, then reassemble it all and bleed it through. A clamp on the rubber brake hose stops the system draining completely..and usually just loosening the bleed nipple and waiting for the fluid to come through minus bubbles is sufficient to bleed it. Make sure you don't contaminate the inside of the cylinder...keep it clean. But, of course, if you've fixed it already this is all redundant....!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Fortunately the piston was free (ish) and moved with just the teaspoon.

I am a little worried about the return spring as on one side it doesn't spring back with out some manual assistance and then it might be binding.

Still now its passed the MOT we can go back to not using the handbrake :-)

John

Yes...that's the problem. If it's not too bad, you can cure it by a two person effort...one inside to pull on the handbrake lever and let it off again, and one underneath to squirt WD40 or similar on to the shaft, between the lever and the main casing, whilst using a screwdriver or similar lever to ensure that the operating arm goes all the way back to the stop. Talk to Sue and see which part of this she'll be happy with(!)... After a few minutes of ON..OFF..ON..OFF squirtysquirty it should free up.You will find that you can lever the operating arm down a bit to get better access to the pivot..don't use excessive force (back to the British Standard Teaspoon again!). Then smother the thing in copper grease and it should be OK for quite a while! This can be done singlehanded but the leaping about from underneath to inside gets a bit tedious. I always leave mine in it's lair with the handbrake off.. All these sort of handbrakes exhibit similar problems, my Volvo is the same and so was the Audi. You can get at those more easily, though..Lotus always require you to grovel properly, don't they?!

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yes...that's the problem. If it's not too bad, you can cure it by a two person effort...one inside to pull on the handbrake lever and let it off again, and one underneath to squirt WD40 or similar on to the shaft, between the lever and the main casing, whilst using a screwdriver or similar lever to ensure that the operating arm goes all the way back to the stop. Talk to Sue and see which part of this she'll be happy with(!)...

I would be the one in the dry in a seated position, the phrase "you don't get a dog and bark yourself" springs to mind. biggrin.gif

As for the 'on, off, on, off, squirty squirty' I wondered who that was on the ladder peeking through the curtains! shock.gif