free hit
counters
Strength of stock internals - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Newts

Strength of stock internals

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The gearbox is the limiting factor and that is good for up to 300ft-lb of torque.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

In case his question was to be taken literally, then I guess theres is indeed a limit to the engine itself: The two Esprit S300 that raced at Le Mans I think both broke their engine ?

Can't remember how much power they made though, probably 400 or so...

Edited by troutrou

I think the problem with the Le Mans cars was dissipation of heat from the turbo during pitstops, nothing internal failed and they were far from 'stock internals'.

Garry Kemp once said ' it's been running 10,250 rpm regularly for about two years; with 3.8 bar boost it hits 0-170 mph in just over 8 seconds." and that's a modified 912 engine.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I think the problem with the Le Mans cars was dissipation of heat from the turbo during pitstops, nothing internal failed and they were far from 'stock internals'.

I remember one of the two had a failed head gasket, but can't remember what the other engine suffered from exactly...

Garry Kemp once said 'it's been running 10,250 rpm regularly for about two years; with 3.8 bar boost it hits 0-170 mph in just over 8 seconds." and that's a modified 912 engine.

Wow... I just love high-revving engine, I will look at the 2.2 with even more envy than ever then ! :lol:

I just hope Garry will still be in the business by the time I manage to get an Esprit...

Edited by troutrou

Did Gary build those engines? Or was he talking about one of his own creations?

I like the fact my engine is from Gary, yes ok it's stock but it's got some kind of oil restrictor in the head he stuck

in there and he gave it a full strip and check over :lol: will be using him again if I need anything

He's a lovely chap! :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

The stock internals would make at least 450 bhp if you could cram the boost in it to make it! The rods are forged steel, the pistons are forged aluminum and the crank is very big! The head gasket, as I recently found out, doesn't like to hold lots of boost inside the engine! Soooo, I'm thinking for a well tuned engine with 1.5bar, she should make 450 hp at the crankshaft!

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Lottie's engine was overhauled to GK spec (I don't think he did the work, but supplied the brains) and is on stock (original too) internals, but balanced and ported etc. I wouldn't hesitate to crate it up and send it to him for an overhaul when needed (if I can control my boost foot that should be a while away, hopefully!).

She's apparently good for 380-390bhp on 1.25 bar from a S300 turbo.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"