free hit
counters
Esprit V8 Wheel bearings - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit V8 Wheel bearings

Guest modifiedv8engines

Horrible whirring noise from my Esprit which sounds like its coming from the n/s/r. Checked all wheels side to side play by giving them a good tug and its the o/s/f wheel bearing.

Turning right the noise dissapears which loads the bearing and subsequently reduces the noise.

Contact 3 of my local Motor Factors - Esprit V8 Wheel Bearings Inner/Outer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a paid up forum member you'd get 10% off those prices with Strattons making them even cheaper still! :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Front wheel bearings are taper roller bearings (adjustable)????

Check the manual & adjust to spec.

Cheers for the response John

These bearings are totaly shot and the noise they make is bloody awful. There is some means for adjustment I beleive, but without inspecting further and having been down this road many times with other vehicles its sure to be the bearings. New ones are on order from Stratton so will post a further response and possibly an image or two of my findings

Paul

I HAVE TODAY TRIED PURCHASING A FRONT WHEEL BEARING FOR MINE . ALL OF THE MOTORFACTORS SEEM TO HAVE LISTINGS THAT SAY THE FRONT BEARING IS THE SAME AS THE REAR AND THEY ARE ABOUT WHAT YOU QUOTED PRICE WISE. I THINK THERE IS A CROSS REF. ERROR WITH ALL THERE LISTINGS COS MINE IS ALSO A ROLLER TAPPER BEARINGS. ONLY LOTUS SAY THEY ARE DIFFERENT ITEMS WHICH THEY ARE. SO I THINK YOU ARE BEING QUOTED FOR THE WRONG ITEM AS THE REAR IS A BEARING AND HUB ASSY. THIS APPLIED TO 4 DIFFERENT MOTOR FACTORS. ALL CAME UP WITH THE SAME!

Edited by braziers

Steve, read this please.

http://www.glassmess...p?topic=30896.0

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

the confusion is there for the cross-reference with Renault ! Just take a look into the workshop-books, and you will see what it means. You're right, the rear is 'pre-set' bearing and works as a hub assembly.

The front bearings can be identified via the SKF (or what ever was placed..) brand-numbers on the inner & outer bearing. Inner side and outer bearing have different size on most cars with this conception. So it only needs to find the number, compare those with the various listings from different brands, and chose one that fits your needs on reliability (as bearings for the same size can have 'ratings' for the time/load that they can be in use..).

Don't trust on simple 'quick sell' Motoring-part shops. Ask in some of the special hardware stores who have bearings and screws and special engine parts (like pistons, piston rings, steering arms, wishbones and so on..)

this is not the exactly right part, but should be good to illustrate what I mean: http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/index.asp?function=PRODUCTIMAGEWINDOW&closedelay=20000&SRC=http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/ekmps/shops/karlparker/images/02474-420taper-bearing-4608-p.jpg

..just follow the picture-url. Think there is a whole world of bearings out in the *www*

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

sorry bibsy i didnt realise thats what it ment. i typed it out and then realised i had the caps lock was on. buggered if i was going to type it all again ! :) good job i didnt have it in bold then i would be in the shit :P

Edited by braziers

Last person who typed in bold now sleeps with the fishes.

Evora NA

• 3 weeks later...

Update on front wheel bearing replacement.

Changed off-side front wheel bearing - great improvement but still can hear this whirring noise. All other wheel bearings appear to be okay and no play apparent.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Paul

rust , or small stones caught between hub & brake disc heatshield !?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Enough of their perversions.

Anybody recall the Simpson's reference

Fat Tony asks "Who wants to sleep with the fishes?.. Because I brought this Finding Nemo bedspread!"

...and...

Louie: Hey, I thought you said Troy McClure was dead.

Tony: No, what I said was: "He sleeps with the fishes". You see...

Louie: Uh, Tony, please, no. I just ate a whole plate of

dingamagoo...

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Off side wheel bearing replaced as previously posted but would you beleive the other side ( near side front ) has gone also.

Unbelivable but true

Paul