free hit
counters
Replacing Alloy Roof Edge Trim - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ian4455

Replacing Alloy Roof Edge Trim

I've ordered replacement alloy/chrome roof edging trim for my esprit but looking at whats arrived doesn't look the same shape as to whats on the car. Has anyone replaced this and have any advice/pics??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Did you get it from SJ?

If so you need to cut part of it away at the pint where it goes near the top of the windscreen and the rear of the roof.

It looks like a corner piece , but that's fine for the bit down the side of the windscreen then you have a choice, cut it so that it doesn't have the vertical edge remaining when it goes along where the sunroof is (assuming you have one), or just cut the two sections where that vertical section would foul the body.

Hi Ian,

do you mean the sreen surround or the trim that goes from front to rear on the car on the car!

Regards danny

A

Hi,

I mean the trim that goes from the front along the A pillar then along the edge of the roof above the door. The two lengths sj have sent are kind of cornering with a round edge. What do you use to trim the excess off ?

post-5137-12654685736_thumb.jpg

Edited by ian4455

Hi Ian,

Its been a good few years since i did mine, i purchased mine from sjs and they where plastic with the sivler paint/foil underside, not hard plastic sort of soft and easy to trim and bend, The job itself is not hard can just be fiddly and when you are doing it seems like a lot of work for just the trim, mine are starting to fade already but have been on about four or five years. Yout need to drill out the pop rivets that hold the a post outer trim on, them remove any other trim, also the pop rivets by the back quater glass can be hard to get at especially if the window has been bonded in the wrong postion!

Then its just a case of removing cleaning and pushing the trim on, also REMEMBER to use silicone sealant round the pop rivets otherwise you will get leaks. Good luck regards danny

A

You can cut the new trim with a Stanley knife or similar; it's a bit fiddly but not overly difficult. The rounded channel fits over the GF section which runs up the windscreen and over the doors..think you'll have to take this off, I did. The chrome trim pop-rivets to the body underneath the GF section. Be very careful as it's held on with silicone sealant as well as pop rivets, and heaving at it cracks the gelcoat; I ended up having to sand mine down completely to the gel coat and apply glass cloth and epoxy to get rid of the cracks! Also be very careful drilling out the old pop rivets as it's very easy to damage the trim around the rear quarter windows. Once you have the old one off, you'll see where you have to cut the new one to make it fit. As Dan says, ensure you use silicone sealant as well as pop rivets or you'll have leaks.... by this time, you'll have worked out how it all fits back!!

Bon courage....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Ah, the rivets to get the pillar trim off, don't remove the glass just the plastic trim that's stuck to the glass. A knife blade run along the glass with detach that black ABS trim without damage.

• Like 1

ok thanks that explains it, what adhesive is best to glue it back on and any other advice before i start?

From what i see its simply a matter of going along the edge drilling out the rivets, remove the trim and replace the alloy edge using silicon sealant around the new rivets.

If you do damage the trim on the windows SJ sell that as well. I have purchased two for my S2. Mine were already ruined so it wasn't an issue taking the old ones off carefully. I am about a month away from having to bond mine onto the glass.

Edited by Nelly9000

Ian,

I used tiger seal to seal mine on before, its black and sticks about anything to anything! Just pop down your local motor factors and they will sell it or give you something similar to use.

Regards danny

A

My car is only weeks away from being painted and I need to order some stuff, one of which is this chrome trim. I can see that it fills a very small body gap. With a trial refit it looks like the capping can butt up against it's counterparts to leave a minimal gap without compromising the finish to the bottom part of the A pillar nor the rear of the C pillar. My question therefore is, is it a necessary part?

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Hi, I did this a couple of years ago and put pics in this thread....

good luck, take it slow and you'll get a good result.

cheers,

simon