free hit
counters
Who was the greatest Lotus F1 driver? - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Who was the greatest Lotus F1 driver?

Bibs

http://www.thelotusforums.com/cms/index.php?option=com_apoll&view=apoll&id=7:who-was-the-greatest-lotus-f1-driver&Itemid=

Click on the poll. Who was the greatest driver to get behind the wheel of a Team Lotus F1 car?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who voted Senna ? :lol:

I voted Clark. Graham Hill would be my wing man :thumbsup:

Main reason is he used to get into cars and just win, very little adjustments needed to be made for him becuase he was possibly the most naturally gifted drivers of all time.

Colin could design the thing, Jimmy raced it.

He also raced touring cars, Indy 500, overall super nice bloke, and won 2 World Championships for Lotus, more than any other driver for Lotus.

Win : Race ratio is by far the highest 73 starts : 25 wins in 8 short years (which was much better than Sennas).

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I suspect it should be Clark but I never saw him (or Moss or Hill) actually race. I did see all the others and for me Ronnie Peterson was better than any of them - including Senna, who I'm afraid never impressed me as much as he did so many others. One of my criteria is how well they do in the wet or when the car's not going well. Peterson was always stunning, smooth and graceful to watch - that man could drive!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Clark...couldn't be anyone else. Stirling's win at Monaco in Rob Walker's Lotus remains the high point of my F1 memories, but Clark could drive a supermarket trolley to victory...saw him in Lotus Cortinas, all sorts, he'd just get in and go faster than anyone else. Senna, to me - after the 1990 Japanese GP - is nothing but the first in the modern line of deliberate crash merchants, and - no matter how fast he may have been - I have no time for the man.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I am missing Elio de Angelis?

He was a real gentleman driver, still remember his win against Rosberg great!

Cor

Elio D Angelis, not mentioned on the poll?????

Talented and a gentleman, a very close 2nd to Clark in my mind.........................

Dont worry,be happy.............

Seems that Nigel is driving at Le Mans this year...as a family team; him and the two lads. He's still very quick...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

No question Jimmy Clark, closely followed by Mario Andretti in my opinion. Both drivers had brilliant drives in more then just F1 cars.

Probably wouldn't make the top 10 but Gunnar Nilson is also missing tragically taken from us by the dreaded Big C.

Clark, Clark and Clark. Not just F1 either. Multi talented across all disciplines even when he was in F1, unlike todays drivers :P

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

"The man," a review:

Born in Fife, Scotland to farming parents, it was hard to see the future of Jim Clark belonging to the glorious world of motor racing. As a child he developed many of the characteristics that would set him apart from many of the pretentious, narcissistic drivers of his era. He was, as many British rural farming folk are, rather shy and softly spoken. This belied a steely determination to succeed, coupled with immense bravery when behind the wheel of a racing car.

Jim's early forays into racing, which comprised rallies and local events, weren't particularly successful, but he persevered. This met with disapproval from his parents who had assumed he would take over the family farm, as he was the only son in a family of five children. The fact that he had earlier shown a keenness to help out on the farm by forfeiting his latter years of school, only served to heighten their expectation. But it wasn't to be

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Jim Clark

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

jim-clark-431x300.jpg

My Favourite pic :P

clark.jpg

People often sling the work 'hero' - hero this, hero that around all over the place - Jimmy Clark definatly deserved the title - not least because he's one of the only people that would have scoffed at being called it !

His headstone btw (can just about see it) says on the top line 'Farmer' - after all he achieved, what a man.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

His headstone btw (can just about see it) says on the top line 'Farmer' - after all he achieved, what a man.

And, it's said (as I'm sure you know, Jon), that it was his request that it be so.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

"The man," a review:

Born in Fife, Scotland to farming parents, it was hard to see the future of Jim Clark belonging to the glorious world of motor racing. As a child he developed many of the characteristics that would set him apart from many of the pretentious, narcissistic drivers of his era. He was, as many British rural farming folk are, rather shy and softly spoken. This belied a steely determination to succeed, coupled with immense bravery when behind the wheel of a racing car.

]

Jim Clark was born in the village of Kilmany in Fife and there is a bronze statue to his memory in the village.

JimClarkRemembranceWeekend009.jpgJimClarkRemembranceWeekend022.jpg

JimClarkRemembranceWeekend007.jpg

Lotus Cars launched the Elise Type 25 at Knockhill during the Jim Clark RemembranceWeekend in 2008 to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of his death.