free hit
counters
My Esprit GT300 racer - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
andecorp

My Esprit GT300 racer

Fabulous looking Esprit.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry it took so long to come back, but I haven't been able to get on the board. Kept getting Database error.

Jonathan, on 11 February 2010 - 03:20 AM, said: Haha beat me to it - it looks incredible ! It's essentially perfect, very good attention to detail (I've poured over the photos for years)

A:From the pics I just saw on your site, I saw that I missed the CitiScape decals on the rear bumper corners.

Also, she's missing the green PRO something decals next to the front indicators. I just can't make them out, so I couldn't replicate them.

Jonathan, on 11 February 2010 - 03:20 AM, said: 1) Are you planning to fit the flairs long the lower bodywork that extend the flair of the arch all the way to the sill - or is this a keeper as it is ?

A:I am not exactly sure what you mean. She is as she was built by factory, and to me it looks the same as the LeMans car.

Jonathan, on 11 February 2010 - 03:20 AM, said: 2) Did you make the bespoke parts yourself ? ie cover for the light pod / lower spoiler / rear wing ?

A:All factory. Actually, she came with a ton of spares - front spoilers, wings, body panels, spare engine, titanium conrods, pistons, wiring looms, chargecoolers, you name it.

Jonathan, on 11 February 2010 - 03:20 AM, said: 3) What wheels are they ?

A:Customs made for when she raced. Nothing on them, but I put the OZRacing red decals like on the LeMans car.

Jonathan, on 11 February 2010 - 03:20 AM, said: 4) Decals or sprayed on ?

A:Decals.

Jonathan, on 11 February 2010 - 03:20 AM, said: 5) Any pics of the engine bay ?

A:Still waiting on the rest of the pics. Engine bay looks standard to the layman, but it's all braided hoses, shiny bits and pieces. The boot cover and the engine lid are all made out of cardboard to save weight and just look standard

Jonathan, on 11 February 2010 - 03:20 AM, said: LOLMight have to do #45 then

A:They would look crazy in a photo shoot together!

Jonathan, on 11 February 2010 - 03:20 AM, said: bet it's a monster to drive as well

A:That's an understatement. Brad Jones described her as 'wrestling a crocodile'.

Quikr ,on 10 February 2010 - 06.24 AM said: stunning!!!!! I have my new wallpaper. Engine bay pic please. the lower front splitter - is that custom made or an actual Lotus part?

A:More pics will be coming soon. The spliter is factory.

fmxa, on 10 February 2010 - 06:37 PM said: That is truly one of the best looking Esprits I've ever seen, do you have any interior pics, and do you drive her on the street?

A:I drive her on the street with a special permit. She is definetely not road registrable though.

mayesprit, on 10 February 2010 - 07:56 PM said: Andy, your other Esprit was always stunning but that really does trump any other Esprit I seen to date.

A:I still like my S4s the best :lol:

Well you've given me more motivation to get mine done asap.

I was going to continue when the spring arrives (currently ~ 2 degrees C outside and I dont work in the cold - should move to Aus LOL) - but I was out there yesterday freezing my nuts off.

Most of the time is being taken up by making things like the roof etc - mines on a budget of ~

facebook = [email protected]

Now I see the rear wheel arch. I am going to leave it as is. The way she is now, she is the way she raced here in Aust when she won the championships. All I would have to do is to change the decals, and she would be 'original'. That is why I didn't vent the bonnet and the roof.

The tailgate is hinged in the roof, and she has pins at the wing end. Front bonnet is held in place by 4 pins.

A quick release glass is there - a removable glass panel on the ECU side for easy ECU access during pitstops.

Also, there is no window in the tailgate and the rear window is perspex.

I chose the #44 car because I think is the better looking one too, although lately, I think the #45 car looks more 'fresh'.

Yes, this is the car with the light decals. No idea why, it was fitted with a standard bumper and that stupid sticker put on. Fit the proper bumper on the car, would you?? LOL

Very nice indeed, whats your plans with her.

I am hiring a number of tracks here privately for the day to get used to her. Although I have track and tarmac experience, currently I am the limiting factor, not her. So once I get comfortable with her and I feel confident enough, I'll be entering her in various races.

You know what I think of it Andrei. It was spectacular enough before but that new paint is just too beautiful.

I can answer some of the earlier questions. Andrei does get it out on our roads and frighten the bej.... He generously let me have a drive and it is trully awesome. Really needs to be on a track to fully enjoy it.

I'm sure that when he does so it's going to surprise many exotic drivers. Especially those who tend to dismiss the Esprit all too readily.

:lol:

My S4s

Lotus_Esprit_S4s_Melbourne_Vic_1_Au.jpg

I take it you have already purchased the Sparks model of your car (link to one on Ebay if you have any troubles getting it sent to Oz I can but it for you and send it over (see below):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPARK-1-43-S0444-LOTUS-ESPRIT-SPORT-300-44-LM-1993_W0QQitemZ310199542576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN?hash=item4839556330

Thanks :D I already bought this as soon as I bought the car. I used it to recreate the decals. I only wish it came in 1:18

With regards to the engine bay I take it has the diagonal welded in engine brace or does it have the Road Sport 300 removable strut brace (if welded how does the engine come out?)

It doesn't actually have an engine bay brace. In '93 when she was disguised as a S4, she couldn't have the engine brace on, so she raced without it, and one was never fitted after. she does have a full built it rollcage which is part of the body though, so she is very stiff.

With only 900kg and pushing out 444bhp you have the rough magic figure of 500BHP per ton (well 497bhp) almost the same as a Veryon, wow she must be a real animal under acceleration. Any ideas what engine modes she has over a Sport 300 and what performance benefits they bring (like the ECU).

444bhp was at 6,000rpm. And the torque curve was still flat, meaning she was relentless. Redline is at 8,000rpm.

I can't tell you the exact mods, but I can find out easily. In '93, Lotus Australia who comissioned the car, sent their service manager Paul McCreery to Lotus UK specifically to learn this car and he became the car's custodian, by travelling with her at all the races, and being in charge of all the maintanance. Paul now works for me, as my private mechanic, maitaining all my cars ( I worked it out it's cheaper to have a full time mechanic on board, rather than pay maintanance on all the cars).

Is the Ferrari 355 yours as well and how does it compare to the S4s and the GT300. Again you are a very lucky man and I think once you are up to speed with the level of performance and you have learnt the circuits you are going to take many scalps when racing.

I had a F355. it caught fire while I was driving... The one in the pic is a 348. I spent $80,000 last year giving it a full resotration. Everything (paint, mechanicals, interior) is new or fully restored. See the pic below. F355 is better than a 348. The S4s destroys the F355 in every aspect - handling, acceleration, comfort, ride, etc.

Ferrari_348tb_-_front_right_4.jpg

One other point is there any chance you could upload your restoration diary (with photos to the projects and restoration room as Im sure this would be of great interest to us all.

I don't actually have a diary on her, but the shop that did the restoration is a very well known shop, that does champion winning SummerNats cars, etc. The day I dropped her off, some TV show like 'Pimp my ride' or whatever they are called, was there, and they jumped on her as soon as they saw her. So she will be part of an episode. I'll post further details when i have them.

Edited by andecorp

Does it have a 'special' gearbox - or is it running a UN1 variant?

Do you have pics of the roll-cage and the under-bracing it connect to?

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Are we going to see on the track and if so when?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Oh my God what a car that is !

* in need of oxygen now *

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

348 is maybe a 'full restoration' ..but the wheels are wrong !?

by the way -nice collection of cars :D

...needs deep pockets to buy all that , and let others do the work. Sounds like a big bill :)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

348 is maybe a 'full restoration' ..but the wheels are wrong !?

It is not a "correct" restoration:

360 wheels, custom front spoiler, custom interior (red stiching, carbon fiber panels, Hills Engineering add ons, etc), everything mechanical has been improved, MilleMiglia exhaust, etc, etc. The point was to make her like new and in the process to improve her as much as she can be improved.

Edited by andecorp

wow!

i'm proud of my 1:43 model of car no. 45 - which makes me dreaming.....

hope you enjoy your 1:1 model....

once again: wow!

Hey wow, bit late to this thread, congratulations, I am envious as hell!! This is an amazing bit of kit you have restored, credit to you!! Love to see more interior and engine bay, underneath pics when you can. Sorry what box has it got in there?

Anyway please keep posting and sharing race meets etc when you get it out there. Some footage wouldnt go a miss either :P Typical woman im asking way too much :harhar: hehe!

350.gifNo.23

Beautiful car..

Andecorp you say "The S4s destroys the F355 in every aspect - handling, acceleration, comfort, ride, etc."

Not sure what 355 you drove, but my experience tells me a different story.. the Esprit and the 355 are each a unique experience.. both very good.. but to say the S4 'destroys' the 355 in every aspect is ridiculous..

The 355 has a far superior gearbox and ratios, and the engine produces an emissions legal, 110hp/L, normally aspirated, and spins 8500rpm with a sound that no Lotus can begin to replicate. The ride on the 355 is at least as good as any Esprit; both the 355 and Esprit are equally quick and comfortable.

...now an F355 compared to the S4S racer.. I would hope so..

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Well done for spending the money and getting your cars as they should be...I only wish you would buy the "For your eyes only" car and get that up to the standard it should be!!

Buddsy :P

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Hey wow, bit late to this thread, congratulations, I am envious as hell!! This is an amazing bit of kit you have restored, credit to you!! Love to see more interior and engine bay, underneath pics when you can. Sorry what box has it got in there?

Anyway please keep posting and sharing race meets etc when you get it out there. Some footage wouldnt go a miss either :P Typical woman im asking way too much :harhar: hehe!

I'll post more tech details tomorrow, with Paul (the Lotus tech) by my side.

There will be lots of footage at the track soon. I'll be hiring Calder raceway in he coming weeks.

Beautiful car..

Andecorp you say "The S4s destroys the F355 in every aspect - handling, acceleration, comfort, ride, etc."

Not sure what 355 you drove, but my experience tells me a different story.. the Esprit and the 355 are each a unique experience.. both very good.. but to say the S4 'destroys' the 355 in every aspect is ridiculous..

The 355 has a far superior gearbox and ratios, and the engine produces an emissions legal, 110hp/L, normally aspirated, and spins 8500rpm with a sound that no Lotus can begin to replicate. The ride on the 355 is at least as good as any Esprit; both the 355 and Esprit are equally quick and comfortable.

...now an F355 compared to the S4S racer.. I would hope so..

The 355GTS I OWNED, was a concours level car, like all my cars. Faultless in every aspect.

The S4s accelerates quicker, has a higher top speed (mine has the long 5th gear), totally outhandles it, rides way better, it is immensely more comfortable, much smoother gear changes (remember how you have to let the 355 gearbox warm up before you can change it half smoothly?) and certainly more reliable.

The 355 has better brakes (just), great fun with the click/clack of changing gears and possibly the best sound of any Ferrari (certainly better than any Esprit).

My 355 ownership ended when I saw flames in the rear view mirror. By the time I stopped and got out of the car, the whole thing fully combusted.

I only wish you would buy the "For your eyes only" car and get that up to the standard it should be!!

Details please! A white S1 has always been very high on my list.

The 355GTS I OWNED, was a concours level car, like all my cars. Faultless in every aspect.

The S4s accelerates quicker, has a higher top speed (mine has the long 5th gear), totally outhandles it, rides way better, it is immensely more comfortable, much smoother gear changes (remember how you have to let the 355 gearbox warm up before you can change it half smoothly?) and certainly more reliable.

The 355 has better brakes (just), great fun with the click/clack of changing gears and possibly the best sound of any Ferrari (certainly better than any Esprit).

My 355 ownership ended when I saw flames in the rear view mirror. By the time I stopped and got out of the car, the whole thing fully combusted.

Shame about 355 fire.. any idea how that happened?

My Esprit has R-compound Nitto tires and yes, compared to the Michelin PS I have on the 355, it is no contest as far as grip goes. So perhaps thats a consideration, tires. The one thing the Esprit does have over the 355, and its quite noticable, is its weight.. my Esprit is about 450lbs lighter.. not sure if the S4s is quite so light though? You can feel the extra weight in the 355 and thats where I think the Esprit has a definite advantage.

I dont have experience with the S4S but have driven a few older and newer Esprit. Perhaps the S4S can do 187mph and beat 0-60 in 4.7sec but I am sure it is only by fractions.

The 355 gearbox is not slick at slow speed or when cold, but when shifting warm, at full-chat, it is very good .. and the ratios.. are perfect.

I love the Esprit, dont get me wrong.. but the 355 is also one hell of a car. I know I am asking a lot for that to be recognized on a Lotus forum, but still. :P

---------------------------------

Your GT300 is absolutely amazing by the way.. I applaud your work and good taste.

Edited by f1karting

All three cars look stunning, The Esprit is awesome, but I must admit I do like a dancing donkey. What is the 348 like to drive?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Shame about 355 fire.. any idea how that happened?

My Esprit has R-compound Nitto tires and yes, compared to the Michelin PS I have on the 355, it is no contest as far as grip goes. So perhaps thats a consideration, tires. The one thing the Esprit does have over the 355, and its quite noticable, is its weight.. my Esprit is about 450lbs lighter.. not sure if the S4s is quite so light though? You can feel the extra weight in the 355 and thats where I think the Esprit has a definite advantage.

I dont have experience with the S4S but have driven a few older and newer Esprit. Perhaps the S4S can do 187mph and beat 0-60 in 4.7sec but I am sure it is only by fractions.

The 355 gearbox is not slick at slow speed or when cold, but when shifting warm, at full-chat, it is very good .. and the ratios.. are perfect.

I love the Esprit, dont get me wrong.. but the 355 is also one hell of a car. I know I am asking a lot for that to be recognized on a Lotus forum, but still. :)

---------------------------------

Your GT300 is absolutely amazing by the way.. I applaud your work and good taste.

No offence, but if you have never driven a S4s, how can you compare it to another car? I've owned both, 355 and S4s for years. And from my extensive ownership experience, I can tell you that the S4s is a way better car.

Also, you can't compare a S3 Esprit with a 355. The difference between a S3 and a S4s is the same as the difference between a 308 and the 355.

My S4s does 0-60mph in 4sec flat, quarter in 12.2sec and a top speed of 307kph, all GPS confirmed. Short of adding turbos (ie major mods), the 355 cannot do that.

What is the 348 like to drive?

A pig. But it is fun because it is SO agricultural! LOL

And it sounds sexy as hell!

And, for some reason, with the 360 wheels, only my Diablo used to get more attention. Certainly more attention than the 355 :confused:

Edited by andecorp

I do like the sound of a Ferrari, it's that High revving V8. Someone I know has a F360 Harmann, has just fitted a Tubi exhaust, sounds great.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

No offence, but if you have never driven a S4s, how can you compare it to another car? I've owned both, 355 and S4s for years. And from my extensive ownership experience, I can tell you that the S4s is a way better car.

Also, you can't compare a S3 Esprit with a 355. The difference between a S3 and a S4s is the same as the difference between a 308 and the 355.

My S4s does 0-60mph in 4sec flat, quarter in 12.2sec and a top speed of 307kph, all GPS confirmed. Short of adding turbos (ie major mods), the 355 cannot do that.

Thats impressive then.. Ive driven plenty of Esprit but not a GT3 or S4S.. that said.. I still cant see a stock S4S hitting the numbers you claim without tuning them. Your numbers even beat the published factory specs??

In my experience most Esprit feel similar except the newer they got, the 'fatter' they felt. I always suspected that the GT3 and S4 were simply powered up versions with improved brakes/suspension to overcome their added weight and soft chassis. I guess I was mistaken.

My previous S3 was pretty well modified with decent suspension mods and good tires.. it was at least as good, if not better than any newer Esprit I have ever driven.

Now you have me curious to test an S4S.