free hit
counters
Tyre pressures - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Al.

Tyre pressures

On my TPMS I have been noticing that my right rear tyre in particular rises more in pressure when driving than the left rear. Therefore I assume running hotter. Anybody else noticed the same?

All pressures are exactly the same with <0.5psi variation left and right cold and with the TPMS as well as a quality motorsport stand alone gauge. Once rolling the right eventually gets to 40psi (my TPMS changed from Bar) and the left usually stays about 37 or 38. I have been watching for 3 weeks now since I noticed it. Same happens with the fronts but less noticeable and usually less than 2psi and it is the front left that gets higher. Now I know in every other car I've owned I have never had this info to hand, so have been happy checking pressures cold as recommended but we do have more info, so wondered if only mine or are we all experiencing it? If so, I wonder why? The exhaust does not seem particularly left or right for example. Tyre wear seems similar both sides in first 2,200 miles.

The ride does get noticeably harsher particularly with the bloody awful roads at present and I was considering starting to drop the right rear cold pressure so they come up to same when running hot.

Anybody any thoughts on this?

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

mine are pretty stable in general, the odd variance when i up the pace a bit depending on the road but nothing consistent.

may be something to do with the local roads ?

perhaps small roads with a large camber, means the right hand side of the car is on the top oif the camber and if you are sat on the right hand side of the car, this is putting a bit more pressure onto the RHS ??

is it the same on a dual carriageway/motorway ?

construction and property consultants : My company

I concur with Al on this.

Have noticed that we can get 1 bar difference on drivers front side when tyres are warmed up....and watch it with the pie jokes - cake and wine, but no pies please NOCD whistle.gif

Deposit Paid 25.07.08

Delivery Date: 10.09.08

Pies Simon? I didn't think you had seen any photos of my aerodynamic shape. (Round is a shape you know whistle.gif ) Cultivated through years of dedication trying to reduce worlds excess, spirt, wine and beer lakes if you please. Not pies.

Anyway to stay on thead the same thing happens on Motorway. In fact I was taking car to dealer on way to airport again on Tuesday (Now back in Brazil) I particulary noted as leaving house I was at 35 on both rears on a particularly cold day at -1 so slight drop from the set 36. It is motorway from 1 mile from house and even rolling out through village tyres started to warm (well increase pressure anyway) by time on M-way it was 36 (Left rear) and 37 (Right rear) and after a few miles I was up to 37 & 40. Stayed there on cruise at 80 mph for the 40 miles. Giving it a final gunning in last few miles out of roundabouts and short acceleration blasts in traffic they went 38/41.

Left front rose 2 psi above right but I think some of that is them being very close to one just about to trip onto next number as it changed 1 psi almost as soon as I started driving.

No conclusions I know but I will watch tyre wear with interest.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

I have all tyres filled in on 0,00 precise with a digital handchecker. The display shows about the same as put it, but varies that way, ... that its nice to see, but no real support.

Starting rear with 2,4 it rise to 2,6 when driving and 20 degrees outside. It stays 2,5 when drivin and 15 degrees outside. Similar on the front (2,2) goes to 2,4 max.

Left and right are variing a bit but during driving it consolidates.

I noticed after some heavy mountain rides, that backtires loose profile much quicker than front. This is normal, but I was surprised anyhow. A.

Been driving my car for almost 4 weeks now... and just realised the tyre pressures were wrong for all that time!

The fronts were 28 and the rears 30. I didn't think about checking as that is pretty normal in some cars. I only realised that they are supposed to be 35 front and 38 rear when I read the technical section in the manual today.

I took the car for a spin after I adjusted the pressures and felt quite a difference (understandably). Would be interested to see if the economy improves, I am averaging 17-18mpg at the moment.

Just checked my manual (NA) and it's 33.5 F/ 36 R. My pressures were still quite low though..

Anyone had any experience with changing pressures? I just checked my thread depth too and 5000m in I've still got 5-6mm left which seems to be better than most. Maybe the lower pressures helped?

It depends what wheels you have. I have the 19" front / 20 " rear. The manual states it should be 35 / 38.

I have the 18 / 19 mix on standard wheels for the NA car.

It's a little frustrating the manual states 33.5psi at the front when the display doesn't do decimal places... and neither does my tyre gauge... or my pump!

Does it work out better in "bar"?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Unfortunately my keyring gauge doesn't do bar.. it's a bit cheap.. and I've got two 12v pumps and a foot pump, none of which are accurate beyond a massive needle on a 2psi scale!

Maybe time to invest in something better...

I could do with an accurate pump with digital display, any recommendations?

Have you not got the dash display?

http://www.thelotusf...ing-system.html

^ We sell them, I've got one in my Esprit and it's pretty accurate but not the cheapest solution.

tyresure-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

Yeah, I've got the standard TPMS system in the Evora, but it's only accurate to 1psi / 0.1 bar - and not much good for when pumping / changing pressures.

There don't seem to be many devices on the net that do less than 1psi accuracy. I wonder if I'm really going to be able to tell the difference anyway!

My Esprit tyres can go up/down by 6psi depending on what I'm doing anyway, in truth 0.5 is fairly negligible.

Evora NA