free hit
counters
Exige CUP 260 on order - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exige CUP 260 on order

Frosty

Hello everyone,

I made my first few posts in the Introductions page under "Greetings". I am currently making the moves to buy a 2010 Exige CUP 260. I'm hoping to place an order in March. However I would love to hear what people have to say about their experiences in an Exige S with or without the performance pack or if there are any CUP 260 owners out there then please share your wisdom!

I would like to hear from people who have used "Paintshield" or another paint protection film company.

If you can help me decide on options for the 260 such as Colour, Alcantara interior, A-Frame, 4 point harnesses, radio, Interior Noise Reduction Pack, Removable steering wheel.

Quite a list there, but as you can understand I'll only buy this car once an I don't want to make any silly mistakes!

Please comment, all opinions welcome.

Regards,

Frosty

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erm..... :) ...yes!

As I'm known for my Engineering skills and knowing so much about the internals of a Lotus (i.e. You get in it and push the accelerator, if a corner gets in your way, turn)

Yellow, obviously.

:wacko:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I've had the front of mine Venture Shield protected and its very good, only wish they had done the splitter but thats being painted satin black next week so will get that done then!

Not sure about the 'noise reduction pack' I've gone with the TRD high flow airbox and stage 3 exhaust which must be the 'noise increase pack'!!! :wallbash:

Get it ordered you'll love it!

Thanks for the replies guys! Everyone else don't be shy, you are bound to have more experience than living with an Exige than I have.

As for the udates, I'm lucky enough to get a couple of hours with an Exige Cup 260 on the 12 March at the factory and track at Hethel. I have no doubt that this will confirm my thoughts and feelings I experienced for a brief moment late last year.

My Audi is good to go on sale, all I'm praying for is a nice day to take some pictures and from there I can start to advertise it.

That is all for the moment, but please, I'm calling out to all owners, I want to hear from you!

Kind regards,

Frosty

Sounds like 'midnight mover' Darryl has picked the car up, any thoughts so far Darryl?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Sounds like 'midnight mover' Darryl has picked the car up, any thoughts so far Darryl?

Sue drove the new 260 out of the Stratton's showroom just after midnight, although we are limited too 4500rpm for the first 500miles only one word describes the little racer "awesome", we both had huge smiles after our little driving stints Sue driving the first 1.5hour and me the final 50minutes. Neither of us even switching on the cd player!

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

I'd double check the running in regs in the manual - it's the same engine/tune/warranty in the 211 and I'm sure it doesn't have the rev limit.

You need to get above 4.5k to bed in the power cam and at 4.5k it won't touch it.

As long as the engine is fully warm (at least 15-20 minutes running) and you

- don't use full throttle

- don't go too high a gear

- don't load the engine so it labours

- don't hit the rev limiter

then there is no reason you shouldn't venture up higher.

Darryl,

Great news to hear you and Sue are so pleased with the car. What's even better is that after the run in period there will be bags more to experience. I'm sure you'll keep us posted in your adventures.

I have a road test and visit to Hethel this Friday, can't wait! My Audi TT is looking very shiny and is really showing up all the love and care I have given her over the last few years. Just need to post the pictures on the various web pages to try and spark some interest for a sale. As for Exige colours, I keep changing my mind daily. I keep telling myself, that this will probably be the only time I get to buy a brand new Exige, so I want to do it right and get the perfect package I can enjoy driving and looking at for many years to come.

I hope you all have been able to enjoy this beautiful weather we have had this week. Great blue skies, little wind and no flies or tar splattering on the front end!!

Regards,

Frosty

• 2 months later...

Frosty,

Did you place your order for the Cup 260

All i can say is F**king wow now that we are well up the "rev" range, corners like sh1t on the shoe

According to Sue it even brakes like nothing else; going to hot into a series of bends and mid corner had to shed loads of speed no drama exited picking up speed

The car truely is awesome, can't wait till the new Esprit

Darryl & Sue

The S2 Exige is the last new model the company have made that i would like to own, i think the cup 260 represents the 'If i had the money' current Lotus for me anyhow, it has everything you expect when you think of the Lotus name. I have always found the Europa visually nasty and never saw the point, and (mainly as its a class of car and driver image i have always been 100% uninterested in) i'll quite happily not drive an Evora again. I'd not own either at any age or value.

But that 260 for the price is just fantastic, it's the where the buck stops for me in terms of waiting for them to get cheap enough to afford. If the new Esprit turns out to be some 'lambo looking gadget fest' then the last Exiges might well be the last Lotus models i can ever see wanting to own as a used car. I await the 'S3' Exige to confirm this, but i do prefer the current S2 Elise/exige front to the new 'S3' Elise front in those recent shots.

I think the 260 is ace Frosty. I envy you if you have it i really do.

:D

Paul,

We had a test drive in the Evora, neither of us enjoyed it; just did not give us a "wow" got to have, we always have liked the Exige and had a test drive in a second hand 260 (about 18months old), had a chat with Guy (MR LOTUS) and the rest is history as they say.

Darryl & Sue

Just for the record, i don't think the Evora is a bad car, i thought it drove brilliantly and thought it would do well in it's market against the porsche and Audi stuff that bores this countries roads to death.

:)

It's just a class of car, new or used, that i have no interest in at all whatsoever. It's not a reflection on the car, i think the people that like them and have bought one must be happy as larry (whoever he was?).

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Another update... I have a sensible hat on for the moment, and on a bit of an economy drive! I have an out of area posting with the Royal Air Force early September this year and I just can't bring myself to buy a brand new car only to get it run in and then leave it sat in a garage for months while I'm away. So... all being well, Guy, I'll be over to Stratton very soon to confirm the order and collection specifics for early 2011!

There is only one thing really bugging my mind at the moment, I would prefer the stereo option over the kill and fire switches, however I would quite like the A-frame behind the seats. Can I get away without the rear speakers, which would in turn allow the space for the uprights of the A-frame?

Your thoughts please...

Frosty

I've never really understood the whole paintshield thing, always looks like your car is wrapped in a plastic bag & costs as much as a clam respray, also tends to show more when it does get hit in my experience just my opinion obviously! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty,

Over to Darryl with his views on the stereo/kill switch argument!

We do far more touring than track driving, hence the reason we ditched the kill switches (both internal and external) the fire extinguisher and the "A" frame. However on saying that we havent had the stereo on that much, as we tend to have the windows down listening to the SC roar!

Not sure if the rear speakers are needed as there are a couple on the dash but as you say if you need the rears then you can't have the "A" frame.

We are at Strattons this Saturday (19th) the 260 having it's first service, the following weekend we are going over to Nurborgring and then (back) to Spa for a track day with a group of Nobles, another Exige and a Lambo, if you are around Sat morning we will be having one of Guy's famous coffee's you will be able to get Sue's/womans view on the 260.

Darryl & Sue

• 2 months later...

***UPDATE***

I have finally got the order in with Guy from Sratton Lotus. Just in the nick of time as well!

I would just like to thank everyone on this post and socially who have helped me make all the decisions when choosing the specification on the 260 Cup. It's great to have such a pool of knowledge to dive into and pick out all the relevant pieces for me.

So as it stands, the order is as follows:

Lotus Exige 260 Cup in Solar Yellow

Add: Radio Fitting Kit inc Alpine unit (with iPod connectivity), Auxiliary driving lamps, Tailgate prop, 4 point harnesses, (We're planning to keep the A-Frame but this is likely to result in loosing the rear speakers).

Delete: Fire Extinguisher and Battery Kill Switches.

Trim: Exige Cup 260 floor mats, Yellow stitching throughout, interior trim supplied as standard with trimmed centre console, door panels and instrument binnacles.

The guys at Stratton Lotus will be moving the Accusump over to one corner of the boot space to allow for better luggage space/fit.

This will all be ready for my return in January 2011 from an overseas posting. What a great toy to come home to after four months! Once she is all run in and had the 1000 mile service I plan to go on a tour of Europe in the Spring with a good friend Paul who has ordered an Exige S RGB Special Edition also from Guy. We promise to post plenty of pictures from that one! But for the moment, I'm very excited that I have got my order in before the end of the "2ZZ" unit is retired from Lotus Cars...

Good man, you'll have a blast in that, what a car :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 3 months later...

Can anyone offer some advice on Tracker options? It would seem that the only current products for private cars are "TRACKER Monitor" and "TRACKER Locate".

There is quite a difference in price and features between the two, I thought that there used to be "TRACKER Horizon" which was not as expensive as "TRACKER Locate" but it did have GPS tracking which I would have thought to be quite a good one to keep.

The Cup 260 is pretty much ready to be delivered to Stratton Lotus and there it will have a few things done to it before I have Paintshield protection applied in the New Year. I hope to post a couple of pics in the near future...

I've got no experience with trackers I'm afraid mate but I think a phone call to your insurance company may be of benefit. Whoever they give the biggest discount for are the ones to go for and if the car does get half-inched at least they'll be happy you tried to secure it as best you can on their advice.

You must be on the edge of your seat! Got any trackdays booked or are you just going to gun it up and down the runway for a few weeks? :D

Evora NA

Well I'm due back in the Marham in January, so that will be the start of the run-in process I feel that this is important to get right first. I really can't wait to drive away after my first service at 1000miles.

My current insurance policy expires at the end of March so I will be shopping around for some good quotes, but yes I will be considering track day cover. Providing I make the appropriate preparations I will have a stonking great long runway and over 10km of associated taxiways and dispersals to play on at the weekends, all of which are safely well out of the way of other cars and objects...

Can I come and play? Seriously, are you allowed to blast around the airfield where there are no planes at the weekend? Too cool! :D

If you upgrade on here you get discounts with:

Insurance: Hagerty, Adrian Flux, Classicline, Competition Car Insurance, Footman James, Heritage.

and CCI (10% off and 4 free trackdays) and Heritage (10% off and unlimited trackdays) offer good deals if your going to be tracking the car often. £20 membership of here could save you a bomb just on your insurance :)

Evora NA

I am an Operations Officer back at RAF Marham so if I gain permission from the right people and there is no flying during a weekend then we could be granted use of the airfield for "trials" and "speed runs" for example. As you can imagine it's not something that my Senior Officer would want everyone doing but if it is managed properly then on the odd occasion this can be facilitated. You might be aware that RAF Marham does conduct several Motorsport days over the summer months to raise money for charity and all of these are carefully planned, prepared and run by RAF personnel during their free time. Some details of the Richard Burns Memorial Rally can be found via the link below.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafmarham/events/richardburns2010.cfm

My friend Paul, (who has recently purchased a White RBS edition Exige), is also at RAF Marham and between us we are keen to organise some form of event which will allow owners to stretch the legs of their Lotus cars. This won't be in the form of a track day but more of an opportunity to go further than one would on a public road. It may also attract those who might not be so keen on a track day and therefore not have track day insurance. This is all just an idea at the moment, I might begin research into the possibilities come the spring.

Let me know what I can do to help, sounds like it's got potential for a good day out. Do you think you can swing it with the boss for me to get a blast in a Tornado? :D

Evora NA