free hit
counters
Owning a Dry Sump S3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nigeninja

Owning a Dry Sump S3

Is there any real problems with owning a dry sump Esprit,I know that checking the oil can be a bit hit and miss(I think Ive read that somewhererolleyes.gif )but apart from that is there anything else I should be aware of or watch out for please shuriken.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The lack of availability of parts for the oil pump can be an issue if ever required.

I have a dry sump car which is crawling at a glacial speed towards a full restoration. I have spent 3 years looking for parts for the dry sump pump!

HOWEVER, they are rare cars and well worth the investment in ownership for the exclusivity.

Good luck and congratulations if you are getting one.

smile.gif

Edited by TAR

It's getting there......

Hi,

The only thing that comes to mind is that because these engines where rare parts can be hard to source,

Regards danny

A

Mike at Lotusbits is breaking an Essex, he might have some parts that would be of interest. :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

That's what i thought might be the case,I was really hoping someone was going to say that fred boggs machine shop on the corner of iron filings street over in stainless steelvill can knock the bits up for a dry sump pump.

Oh well thats narrowing the search even morecoffee.gif ,which is a shame cos i rather like the silver cars with the red leather(there's one for sale at the mohope.gif ) shuriken.gif

Nigel

I think the system was from PACE Products which are now based around the corner from me in Haverhill, Suffolk. Give them a shout as they still do lots of sump systems. their site is

http://www.paceproducts.co.uk

from which you can get all the details

They did a special oil cooler for me when mine blew and the service was very good

Cheers

Ralph

I enquired of Lotus about the origin of the dry sump pump and they told me the original manufacturer had ceased trading, which was why the parts became obsolete. They declined however to tell me who that manufacturer was.

I was able to obtain the small rotor and annulus from Fiberglass services, but I'm not sure if I had the very last one he had in stock. The large rotor and annulus are no longer available.

There are a few people who may have second hand pumps which may be serviceable, its just a case of finding them.

I'm in the process of getting my pump refurbished, but its taking a very very long time, as the company doing the work also have contracts with some major race car manufacturers and are very busy. This isn't a real problem for me as there is lots of other work to do on my car and not much spare cash.

smile.gif

It's getting there......

Nigel

It is basically the same engine. There were some spec changes and the normal sump sits the other way round I think (must climb under mine one day an have a look then compare to Esprit). From memory I think there is a lot of similarity between the two pumps but it is many years since I have seen either system. Either way give PACE a shout, what have you got to lose and you never know they may even have a better version these days.

Cheers

Ralph