free hit
counters
Best way to mount an oil cooler to a chassis tube? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
slewthy

Best way to mount an oil cooler to a chassis tube?

OK, swapping from old (bent) chassis to new chassis.

So far, the only bit lacking on the new one is the relevant brackets for the engine bay mounted oil cooler.

I have a new 115mm cooler and I need to mount it in the usual place just under the chassis tube as follows

DSCN1812.jpg

Has anyone had to do this and whats the best way?

Obviously I dont want to violate the tube by drilling or welding it.

I had an idea of clamping on two straps, between which the cooler could be mounted, with vibration dampening rubber between the metals but its not got beyond an idea at the moment.

I wondered if standard scaffolding tube is the same dimension as the chassis tube? If so, there maybe readymade (cheap) solutions out there?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Exhaust clamps - yep thats a possibility. Could make that work.

Hi Simon,

Using clamps may be a bad idea as if they work loose it could all go pear shaped, Just a thought and its what i personally would do but without making templates and seeing what they look like may work may not! If you look at your picture in your post you see where the trailing arm bolts to, its the square bit of metal plate on the chassis of memory there are four holes drilled in it, I used thes to bolt my heat sheilds to, on the engine side of the plate you bolt some sort of bracket, this way you end up with a firm structure that is bolted in place and nice and secure! Especially at the moment as the bodys off you can measure up and fabricate a nice welded frame/bracket to bolt in! job done . P.S THE FOUR LITTLE HOLES NOT THE TRAILING ARM BRACKET BOLTS!

Regards danny

Edited by silverfrost

A

Yes, I know the ones you mean. Alas, the gearchange is situated on this side so may be an obstacle. I'll take a look cos I share your concerns re things coming loose.