free hit
counters
Sell break or restore? - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J

Sell break or restore?

I've had an S2 on my drive for about 5 years now, several personal issues have meant that work ground to a halt, its all there but somehow theres no drive left in me. The big question is whether to strip it and sell for spares, sell it as a project or try and find the enthusiasm to get on with it.

The engine and general running gear were pretty good when I last had it running, the big issue is that it needs a new interior and that's something I can't do myself and cant find anyone to do for me.

Come on guys, give me some clues.

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How much of an interior do you have?

If you have lost interest, I would sell whole, as a project, on ebay

http://www.coachtrimmer.co.uk/

Nick Fulcher will do you an interior. You'll pay a pretty penny for it but it will be better than when it was new (unless he did it when it was new, which is quiet likely!)

Here's an example of his work! :lol:

http://www.thelotusf..._1&#entry207877

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

If you have lost interest, I would sell whole, as a project, on ebay

I'd say thats right, and probably the best thing to do if you are not into restoring it. It's a shame but early esprit unfinshed projects seem to pop up on Ebay quite frequently, someone buys one, does a bit here, bit there, strips this and that, and then sells. I guess it's a lot to take on and some money commitment too, and there's a whole world of things that can occur in life during the long restoration process that demand priority over a non running car.

:)

Restore or sell as a project! So few S2 cars about anymore it would be sad to see another one lost forever.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I would agree , if you can sell it as a project. With the increasing interest in all types of Loti it has to be the way forward.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum, If you have had the car for five years and not done much with it i would say you are probably better of sellling it and give somebody else the chance with more time and enthusiasm to do it! As for selling it for parts if you break it for parts you will sell the engine gearbox on ebay straight away, same as wing mirrors and wheels etc but the body and chassis will be a pain to get rid of. Just put it on ebay as a project or contact lotusbits.com and they will come and see it and take it off your hands straight away not sure how much they pay though, or just post some pictures on the forum and put it on the for sale part on this site saying offers! the last option is probabl the best for the time been as at least it will to an ethusiast.

Good luck with your dilemma which ever path you choose to take,

Regards danny

A

S2 project cars seem to make good money on ebay.

Buddsy

Where do you get that from Buddsy? Not seen a restoration one over £1500 in 3 years? I'm talking about actual sale, not price listed at.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Sadly I have to agree with everybody else, even if you muster the enthusiasm to start again there will be hold ups when you find the unexpected and restarting after a hold up can be tuff.

So if you lack the drive now I’d have to say that’s project you won’t finish.

Sell as an ongoing project try to keep it intact it’s a piece of motoring heritage and any one who brakes one up should hung drawn and quatered. :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

If you don't have the drive (and you need a lot!) then best let it go as a project car. It is too easy for a car to pass hands and someone does a bit here and there. I would hate to see it broken (even though I would love its washer fluid bottle, I can't get hold of one for love nor money!)

Depends though if (interior aside) you can do all the work yourself, otherwise money comes into play and thats a whole new problem when that dries up!

Depending on what part of the world you are in, there must be someone local who can re-trim your car? Luckily I have two very good trimmers within 5 miles of me, just deciding who to use when I get that far as my interior also needs completely redoing. Price I have been quoted is around £2k for the interior, so that might also make your decision easier.

I also went to look at an S2 that had been on someones drive for four years before I bought my car, he wanted £3k for it (it was also complete, the interior was not too bad) - he did eventually sell it but I doubt he got that for it.

Has the car been covered whilst outside or left open to the elements?

Good luck whatever you decide

I agree with Roger. Dont break it.

I faced that choice last year. With the insurance payout plus the projected income of breaking the remains, I would hve made a tidy profit.

BUT breaking and selling isnt easy - could take 12 months +. Also, the car would be truly lost. I couldnt bring myself to do that. Your S2 is a much rarer thing than my S3 and must be saved.

I imagine that to restore everything yourself would take 1 -2 years with prolonged effort and heartache. Not to mention the cash.

If you dont feel you have the drive to get to the end, cos thats what matters, I'd sell it intact and use the money to get something you ARE driven by. Whatever that is.

I've gome down the costly, and uneconomical restoration route. There are very few moments I'm not thinking and most importantly, looking forard to the next steps I'm going to do. I'm enjoying it and thats the only way I'm getting past the usual difficulties - expensive parts, bits that dont fit, siezed components, breaking newly restored parts etc etc. If I didnt enjoy it, I would not make it.

Only you know.

Good luck, whatever you do.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Where do you get that from Buddsy? Not seen a restoration one over £1500 in 3 years? I'm talking about actual sale, not price listed at.

Since all the S1 cars have basically been bought people seem to be looking at the S2 cars. I guess it depends how much of a project its going to be. There was an S3 pretty complete but in a real mess which went for £2700.00. I thinks Wayne sold his S3 project for £2000.00. Thats seems to be quite high to me as there is so so much work to do and that you can buy a S3 for £6000.00 I could be wrong but Im sure S2 cars are becoming harder to find. There are no S2 or S1 for sale on pistonheads or Autotrader or LEW or even on Ebay.

Just my impressions I know I could be wrong lol

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Not sure I totally agree. A lot of people want the S1 for the Bond connection, and a S2 won't do for them, regardless of how scarce/costly S1 cars are.

Yes I think you are spot on that there are hardly any S2 cars out there. It doesn't mean though that there are a queue of people lined up waiting for them.

The majority of people shopping for a G Car seem to prefer S3 cars, either cause they want a turbo, aircon, or just a later car. Value wise (as seen by the S2 that went recently at Stocks) an S2 that's fully sorted, seems to go for a similiar price to a sorted S3 NA car.

Given that price equality, it takes a particularly focused buyer, who would prefer the issues of running an S2 when you could have an S3 which is a smoother and more sorted car. I'm sure S2 values will/are picking up, but that will be for sorted cars, not projects. I've run an S2 for 4 years so I know what it's like living with one. It's a labour of love that constantly requires little jobs being done on time to keep it going. Just one for instance are the rear CV joints, which always degrade in time as there are no top links. You don't get that on an S3 car.

Steve, I've already PM'd you, so you know what I'm about to say, but at the end of the day if you want to get rid, and aren't in a hurry strip it. You'll get a lot more for it. If you can't be bothered with the hassle of doing that then move it on as a restoration project, but it's £2K tops in my opinion as a project. Anyone taking it on as a rolling job is going to have to fully C Service it, change all fluids, a load of pipes, perhaps full brake overhaul etc, before they could even drive it. That's potentially another £2 - £3K on top. I recently sold a load of parts but as a guide:

Engine £600

Wheels £120

Gearbox £500

Switches £20/switch Say £100 total

Gearlever assembly £100

Instrument Cluster £100

Seats £100

Carbs £150

Wouldn't take too much to exceed the worth of it as a project sale. In my experience you can also realise a surprising price for some of the bits you wouldn't think are valued (e.g. switch gear, gear lever knobs etc). Steering columns in good nick are quite valued now too. I sold mine as a non runner but not needing much, and with a reasonably up to date history in Nov 2008 for £2500 if that helps.

Whatever you do good, luck with it.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Steve,

I think we can all agree that owning one of these cars is a desire, otherwise, no one in their right mind would want to spend the time or money on them. This site allows us to share a common connection that few others understand making the journey all that much more satisfying. If letting it go is your only option remember to factor in the time it is going to take you to try to piece it out as opposed to having it go in one piece. Hopefully someone will purchase it and we will all get to enjoy its transformation.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Mat I think you are right but also there are some people who prefere the S2 over the S3 for the sharper lines, more akin to the s1 but with a bit more reliability than the S1. All the G cars are now old cars and so all will need a fair amount of TLC to keep them running well.

But thats why we love em

Buddsy

Steve.

The sell/ break / restore options are al dependent upon what you want.

1) I want rid of it all as long as I get a half-decent return on the cash.

2) I want best possible cash return on this over a period of time.

3) I want a good Esprit to drive and know it will last

Those roughly translate to

1)Sell you'll shift it in one lot, but not for as much in total as 2.

2) You'll get good prices for the bits other people need, and eventually you'll get rid of the lot, but it may take time, and some bits will fetch more than you believe possible, some for what seems like no money at all.

3) This will cost quite a bit to do it properly, but you'll have a car that should (if maintained) will keep going for years and years.

The debate over whether an S2 is desirable, whether it should be saved etc, is one you should e aware of, but only consider if you wish to.

Best of luck which ever you decide to do.

Andy

I would say, as a car to drive for pleasure rather than outright performance, my S2 beats my former TE and SE, and my current V8. It drives so well and feels so right. You can feel the relative lightness in the steering and handling. When I drove it back from the NEC in November at night up the A roads through Ashbourne and Buxton, I just couldn't stop grinning. Best 2 hours I've ever spent in a car.

I would really encourage you not to break it. There must be a buyer for such a project if you don't feel able to complete it yourself. I'm almost tempted.

ok so here's my update.

The car is a 1978 white S2, body is reasonable with a few marks on it. Engine was runnimg very nicely and the gearbox, clutch and brakes etc were good.

There are a few electrical issues but most things seem to work.

Since buying it I've had a few personal and family issues, not least of which was a rather acrimonious divorce.

I've been thinking about what to do over the last few months and yesterday bit the bullet and put up a post. I then went and told the family, now the kids aren't speaking to me and my girlfriend is nagging me to keep it!

Apparently it's the car she wants us to leave our wedding in (next year!!)

I've had some supportive emails from a few of the guys on here and offers of moral support if nothing else!

Now had 3 recommendations of upholsterers to tackle the daunting task of the interior so things are looking a bit better.

As far as the financial side goes, I can do all of the mechanical stuff myself and I've been told to stop all work on the house and sort the car so I reckon I should grab that offer whilst its on the table.

Hopefully I can get to have a look at some other S2's and get some of my old enthusiasm back so anyone fancy a trip to Portsmouth??

Top result!! Welcome to the long cold nights in the garage. Start a thread in the resoration section so you can look back and see how far youve come. It really helps when you start getting down in the dumps! So to does the support from fellow Esprit owners!!

All the very best

Buddsythumbsup.gif

Glad you've made this decision mate... Even more pleased it's with full support from her indoors, it's one he'll of a motivation getting it ready for your big day :whistle:

Take a look at this,

Can't seem to do Propper links on the iPhone?

It's my journey, not to dissimilar to yours.... Starts with me being a single guy with a broken car, through getting drunk lots, meeting a wonderful lady, asking her to marry me and then getting the car finished for the 'big day' which was amazing!!! :hrhr:

Check this out for how it all turns out :)

Hopefully the above will help spur you on a little...!

It's A LOT of hard graft, but it's worth it in the end...

Good luck dude, they are a very supportive mob in here... We'll get you through it :)

Chunky Lover

Can you be bothered with stripping the bits off it, then cashing the cheques and packing and posting all the bits? I know I couldn't so I'd sell it as a project (and have in the past). Just my opinion of course!

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Glad to see your keeping it now :rolleyes:

Check out my S2 in the restoration section.

Had it for 7 years and been restoring for 5 years. As Im out of the country I get approx 2 to 5 weeks a year to work on it.

Think ive done not bad considering how little time I get home :yes:

My original intention was to buy a S1 OR S2 as I wanted an older model. S3 wasnt an option for me.

S2 is the best decision I ever made and it looks great in white.

Good luck with it.

Mike