free hit
counters
non start - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
crashrepairman

non start

rebuilding my s3 2.2 n/a. put it all back in and during this time removed the "selmar" alarm/imobiliser (remember them with the pendulum inside!!!) now i cant get it to spark, the wiring is so old and the colours faded its hard to be sure they are correct.

Can anyone send me a pic or advise what to check for lives, earths etc

live in nazeing essex.

regards

mick

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Check the basics first.

Have you got a spark at the output of the coil (before it goes to the cap)?

If not,

Have you got 12v to the coil?

Have you tried disconnecting the engine speed limiter (assuming it is that type of system fitted)

There are lots of questions, bits to check, bit of a decision tree, so let us know what you find and somebody will come back with for more things to check based upon the results.

Andy

Also dont forget to reconnect the engine earth strap...had a mate and me try to get an Austin Healy started for hours until we found we left the earth strap off!!! DOH

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

earth strap is on !

i tried putting a live straight tp the coil but still no spark.

The ignition unit has 2 wires going to the coil, there is a 3rd wire with a round terminal, should this be connected to anything, it doesnt look like it ever has been, i wonder if there is still something left over from the alarm? still connect. should the coil body be earthed? can i put a live and earth direct to the coil?

thanks guys

ign module says ducellia

i have put live and earth straight to coil, if i touch earth wire on/off i can feel voltage so coil ok. how can i test ign unit or distributor?,

thanks

No use putting a live and earth direct to the coil, one has to be broken (the earth) to generate the change in magnetic field in the coil which will create the spark, but yes you can put a live directly there if you wish, as you've established there is +12v there, no need.

The system has an amplifier in it (Lucas box system) which takes the magnetic pick-up of the rotor (not rotor arm) and generates a small magnetic field change to trigger the amplifier to cut the earth to the coil, so testing the amp or the field generation side of the dissy is difficult without suitable equipment.

Next test.

Put a temporary earth to the coil on the side that goes to the dissy, see if you can generate a spark (again cut the rotor arm out of the equation and just go off the HT side of the coil). If that generate a spark, we know coil is OK (well at least works to some extent). And probably points to amp or dissy pick-up area, which can be as simple as a poor connection in the low tension wiring, or broken wire inside the insulation.

If you don't get a spark from the above test then it points to the coil.

Please be careful when checking out the Ht system, don't hurt yourself or anybody else, with the possible shock tat can easily get past the insulation on many tools.

No use putting a live and earth direct to the coil, one has to be broken (the earth) to generate the change in magnetic field in the coil which will create the spark, but yes you can put a live directly there if you wish, as you've established there is +12v there, no need.

The system has an amplifier in it (Lucas box system) which takes the magnetic pick-up of the rotor (not rotor arm) and generates a small magnetic field change to trigger the amplifier to cut the earth to the coil, so testing the amp or the field generation side of the dissy is difficult without suitable equipment.

Next test.

Put a temporary earth to the coil on the side that goes to the dissy, see if you can generate a spark (again cut the rotor arm out of the equation and just go off the HT side of the coil). If that generate a spark, we know coil is OK (well at least works to some extent). And probably points to amp or dissy pick-up area, which can be as simple as a poor connection in the low tension wiring, or broken wire inside the insulation.

If you don't get a spark from the above test then it points to the coil.

Please be careful when checking out the Ht system, don't hurt yourself or anybody else, with the possible shock tat can easily get past the insulation on many tools.

thanks andy, but youve lost me a bit, there are two wires coming out of the dist and go to the power module, is it one of those?, ther is no wire going direct from dist to coil.

regards

mick

Take the wire off the earth side of the coil that comes from the amp unit, use a piece of wire to give it an earth, and see if you can get a spark when disconnecting that temporary earth.

Andy

there are two wires on the earth side, they both disapear into the loom, how can i tell what goes to the dist, the only wires going to the dist are connected to the ign module- does the round terminal from the module connect to anything, if you let me have your e mail i can send a pic,

thanks for your help and patience

mick