free hit
counters
S3 Handbrake not releasing - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pete Amey

S3 Handbrake not releasing

Guys,

I have a S3 1986 Esprit with inboard rear brakes. Have just replaced the discs but didn't bother with the calipers as they look new to me.

I found the handbrake is not releasing properly, so changed both cables.

It still doesnt release - if I nudge the leaver on the caliper where the cable connects, the brake releases perfectly, but as soon as the handbrake is applied again, it won't release.

I have checked both cables have some free play on them and have looked behind the rubber boot and all looks new, shiny and well.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Pete,

Are the cable springs on the caliper correctly positioned against the spigots so there's actually tension there?

Are the pistons rotated to the corect position to allow the handbrake self adjust mechanisms to work?

Those would be where I would look first.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete,

Are the cable springs on the caliper correctly positioned against the spigots so there's actually tension there?

Are the pistons rotated to the corect position to allow the handbrake self adjust mechanisms to work?

Those would be where I would look first.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Reading the service notes, your description fits the earlier Girling set up perfectly. I appear to have the later Bendix units which are different.

However, reading the notes again, there is an alignment of the pistons that has to be correct, and as I didn't change pads (they were almost new) I didn't check this.

I'll pull them apart and see if maybe thats the problem.

Your reply is appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

No worries Pete. Sorry, forgot you had Bendix. Good luck!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Don't know anything specifically about Bendix brakes...but the spindle that the lever rotates on all of these mechanically operated handbrake disc calipers can tend to get a lot of stiction..I think I'd try a few squirts of WD40 or similar on the spindle whilst someone else operates the handbrake...the underneath man can do the squirting and whatever levering is needed until it frees up.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Simon,

A rear Bendix caliper strip and rebuild is next on my list.

Why not post your experiences?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Mainly lack of time, photos and other excuses! LOL

I've found that not working doesn't equate to lots of spare time, just more jobs to do!

I'f I get a chance and if I find some photos I'll have a bash! :wallbash:

Chunky Lover

Alternatively, if you explain your job, I could do mine with some pics as I go?

Well, I've started one caliper to see how it goes and in the process I ordered a seal kit (2) from SJs.

Steve then told me it was VITAL to separate the aluminium cylinder from the cast carrier/wings and clean it up. Says its due to potential corrosion forcing the cylinder out of shape.

Has anyone done this and how is it done? The workshop manual describes a special tool which forces the wings apart, allowing removal of the cylinder.

An easy, non special-tool way?

Edited by slewthy

If your pistons are not free moving in the cylinder then this can be down to corrosion as it forces the alloy casting out of shape. Didn't do it on mine as it didn't need to be done.

When the caliper is stripped to it's component parts you can slide the piston in without seals and see how it fits or measure the cylinder for rowndness

Chunky Lover

That makes sense. I was forseeing a disaster.

Hi guys, any pics/rebuild suggestions on the rear caliper rebuild? I want to remove the piston etc but would like to benefit from the wisdom of someone who has already done this before I break something expensive!!

I have removed the cast carrier and am down to the bare piston and handbrake lever assembly. I have new seal kits at hand as well.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971