free hit
counters
Timing belt tension - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
catalina8

Timing belt tension

I know there are many posts about timing belts already and hate to post another. But i found one earlier with bad links so i decided to try starting my own. I have an esprit s1 and it has not had the timing belt changed in almost 5 years, so i wanted to tackle it in the next few months. The manual says to use a Burroughs gauge. I have never even heard of one before. So the question is, is this the gauge to use or can others be used and where can i buy/rent one (preferably rent).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Basically it's a belt tension gauge that measures belt deflection. Here is a link to a thread on another website that shows pictures of what various models look like. http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r20156034-Timing-belt-Tensioner-tool

I wouldn't worry too much about cost as there are some that are quite reasonably priced (under $20). Seeing that your in the states, if you have a harbor freight tools nearby, you might be able to pick one up from them. Otherwise some of your more knowledgable parts houses should know what your talking about.

Hi Justin,

The most popular alternative to the Burroughs gauge is the Krikit gauge. Got mine from RockAuto $10.88, here's a link:

Link to RockAuto

When using a Krikit on a new belt set the tension at 55. Eveything is just a guide but a good rule when checking the belt tension is to do the twist check. At the mid point between the IN Cam sprocket and the AUX sprocket twist the belt. It should be fairly easy to twist the belt round to 45 degrees and difficult to get it to twist to 90 degrees. If you can twist beyond 90 degrees the belt needs to be tightened up.

Gavin

Cheers, Gavin

As Gavin said, get the Kricket gauge. It's cheap and gives repeatable results.

IMHO, the belt twist is not a reliable way to check belt tension especially for someone who doesn't have much experience with it and has no idea what it should feel like. Feel is too subjective unless you're a real expert.

1995 S4s