free hit
counters
sealant for camboxes, - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
s1guy

sealant for camboxes,

will be doing my valve clearances this weekend along with a full service,,whats the best sealant for the camboxes, zero thickness preferred,, thanx, kenny

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Ken,

I used to always use the loctite stuff supplied by SJ sportscars, its an orange colour, no setting and in ultra thin! What the part or code number is though i cant help you, ring sjs or hopefully somebody will be along shortly with the product code or another product that they have had a good experiance with, having said that sjs use this stuff themselves in the workshop which speaks volumes also i have had no dramas with it!

Regards danny

A

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCTITE-518-FLANGE-SEALANT-NEW-LARGE-300ML-TUBE_W0QQitemZ200444801333QQihZ010QQcategoryZ98641QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know it's a few £s more than SJ, but it's a lot more volume, so if you have more than one vehicle it makes financial sense.

the loctite stuff looks like the candidate,,will let ya know how it works out,,thanx guys,,, plus, my parts supplier has it,,!!!!

Loctite 518 anaerobic adhesive or equivalent Permatex anaerobic adhesive.

Use their Kleen&Prime first.

thanx,,i,ve been looking at this stuff ,,loctite stuff is the best ,,just needed to know which though,, ,,you guys are great,,thank you all,,,,kenny

Edited by s1guy

When were the cam housing gaskets deleted? I thought (not based on any evidence!) that the S1 907 would still have the paper gaskets?

they deleted those gaskets back when moby dick was a minnow,,,if that helps,,lol

they deleted those gaskets back when moby dick was a minnow,,,if that helps,,lol

BTW,,if you want oil leaks and big problems when doing a valve adjustment,,then yes use them,,lol,,,,just my 2 cents,,

One caveat on using the loctite 518 and the kleen and prime.

I was doing a shim job this week and used Permatex Surface Prep and Activator for anaerobic sealants with the 518 and it caused my valve clearances to open up .002-.003 using the sealant over the dry fit measurements. I actually did it twice before I was able to determine that the activator was causing the problem. It was causing the sealant to cure much faster and increasing the sealant thickness way over the .0005 specified before I could get it torqued down.

When I sealed the tower the third time without using the surface prep/activator the clearances were fine.

I don't know if the loctite kleen and prime is an activator as well but if it is, it may cause a clearance problem.

1995 S4s

Thanks for the info Ralph, that looks like it could be a better alternative than the 518. Have you used it yet and been able to determine if it's an improvement for sealing the cam towers?

1995 S4s

I don't think any Esprits had gaskets when new; they are all, AFAIK, just sealer + the O-ring around the oil feed.

I doubt the paper gaskets lasted past 1974-75. Quick way to tell: if your oil feed hole has no provision for an O-ring, then it probably originally had a gasket.

Ken: get new O-rings! :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Jim

Yes, I have been told we are about to change a complete engine line over to it and the intent is also to carry back. I am talking several hundred thousand units a year.

Seems the curing of the 518 caused some problems and it was less flexible. 5188 gives better results on all the surfaces we have used it on, including oil pump to block and ladderframe to block.

Obvously I havent tried it on a Lotus yet, but cant see why the same improvements cant be beneficial to us Lotus owners.

Cheers

Ralph

Ken:

There is a guy on the USA West Coast who specializes in the 907 used in the Jenson Healy.

He has developed a Valve Cover Gasket set/package he finds will not leak - and is reusable.

Check it out at www.jhps.com

Hope this helps.

Bob