free hit
counters
engine cuts out above 4K revs on "fullish" throttle - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MGFREAK

engine cuts out above 4K revs on "fullish" throttle

1987 Esprit Turbo- car seems to "fall flat on its face" when you accelerate with anything more than a feather throttle after 4 to 5 K revs. Its like hitting a rev limiter- but if you back off on the throttle, she will continue to rev. Theories- secondary fuel pump issue, one of the rpm relays, or maybe the engine overspeed/fuel pump failure module?

Cheers All !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Got her sorted... hooked a test light to the white/green wires (primary fuel pump) and the light went out when the stumble occurred- so the engine overspeed/fuel pump failure module is bad. No worries...

Sounds to me like blocked fuel filter or the same problem that I had last year and that was crud, debris, muck blocking the outlet from the fuel tank. I took off the hose from the tank to pump and blew up it with an airline. What a difference.

Not really a long term fix though.

Do you still have the spring-loaded rev limiter in the rotor arm? They have a reputation for failing and reducing the limiter setting if the spring breaks or weakens.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE