free hit
counters
Oil Pressure Sender - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
winners

Oil Pressure Sender

Either my engine suddenly loses then gains pressure, or I have a sensor fault. Just to make my job easier and save me a couple of minutes. Can some one tell me where the sensor is located,

Ta

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like one of the two wires on the sender is lose.

Not sure if it's in the same place on the S1, but on my '88 it's drivers side below the distributor & next to the oil filter.DSCF8092.jpg

Hooligan at heart.

The S1 has a different sender style unit. Where you see the electrical sender in the above photo the S1 will have a plastic tube. Thew tube is clear, well was originally - maybe somewhat yellowed now by time, and you can see the oil following through it when the engine is running. Some tubes have been replaced with steel braided line. The plastic does go brittle and can break which results in loss of pressure and oil being sprayed everwhere. Follow the tube and you will come to the electrical sender unit. Its quite a big chunky thing, hence it being mounted off the engine. Mine is located to the right of the engine on the frame just behind the expansion tank. Don't have a pic but will try later and post.

Good luck. Gavin.

Cheers, Gavin

What Gavin said.

Sometimes the tube is black, too.

It's a round thing mounted on the frame. Has only one wire coming from it, as it grounds through the frame. Somewhere there is a 1970s Chrysler/Simca sending unit that can be substituted if necessary. :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Hi Mark, it maybe a little late but here's a what the sender unit looks like:-

DSC01202-1-1.jpg

Not sure if this is the original location. It should have a black/yellow wire going to it. Judging by the wiring on mine my sender has already been replaced.

Gavin

Edited by GavinS1

Cheers, Gavin

Hi Just had the same problem, you will need two 14ml spanners a bowl, a rag and engine oil to top up.

Disconnect the sender unit from the pipe place the pipe in the bowl, turn the engine over and let it tick over, what I found was thick sludgy oil coming out at first, eventually the oil was running clean. I then screwed the sender unit back on while still on tick over to prevent air getting in to the tube.

When you replace the sender make sure it’s earthed, My oil pressure gauge now working as it should and gives me pace of mind.

Hope this helps Carl

The S2 has the oil tube that runs to the gauge in the dash.

Cheers, Gavin

The S2 has the oil tube that runs to the gauge in the dash.

Gavin, you mean that tube that if you forget to hook it back up when playing with the gauges pisses all over your pants/shoes/carpets?

Yes, I know. :-(

-Bob

The S1 gauge cluster is taken from some kind of a Chrysler/Simca. I forget the model, but I think the gauge faces are a dark blue/gray on it . . . but yeah, it's electric.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I have a related problem - can anyone help please?

Following an engine re-build, I discovered that the garage hadn't correctly tightened the union securing the oil feed tube that runs to the pressure gauge, resulting in oil loss all over the engine.

Union has been tightened and oil topped up to upper limit on dipstick.

When I fired up the engine, the pressure immediately rose to 50 PSI on tickover to my relief.

However, I've just taken her for a short run, and the pressure dropped right down.

It does fluctuate, reaching around 45 PSI at +4000 RPM, but it drops to around 5 PSI at tickover.

I've checked the dipstick, and I don't appear to have lost any oil, but still obviously very worried.

I have noticed that in the clear plastic oil feed tube going to the gauge, there are a number of air gaps.

Is this likely to be causing an erroneous low pressure reading on the gauge, and is the car ok to continue running, so long as the oil level remains the same?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers folks.

Mine has lots of air gaps in it too. I get good pressure readings, but the compressibility of air gives food for thought. I wonder how much faster the oil pressure rises after starting than is indicated, due to the time it takes to compress all those air bubbles in the tube? One of these days I might just convert to an all-electric gauge.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

It's quite normal for the oil pressure to drop to around 5 psi when the engine and oil are hot. The important thing is that it rises when the engine speed goes up. The air bubbles won't affect the reading but, as Ben said, it will slow down the responsiveness of the gauge but, at steady state, the air pushes back as hard as the oil is pushing it so the pressure gets transmitted to the gauge.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Following an engine re-build, I discovered that the garage hadn't correctly tightened the union securing the oil feed tube that runs to the pressure gauge, resulting in oil loss all over the engine.

Well I would have traded with you. While working on my gauge cluster I forgot to re-tighten the union at the gauge end, resulting in oil shooting all over my pants leg, shoes, and totally soaking the drivers foot well carpet piece before I realized what was happening and shutting off the engine. I never was able to get the oil out of the carpet piece completely and it required replacement. no.gif

Alan - your question re oil pressure is a little buried in this thread, but 5psi is the minimum specified by lotus. I would not actually be too worried as this is fairly typical for early 910 motors (dont know about the later ones). Following a rebuild I still only achieved maybe 10psi at tickover. Do you know what oil you have in it?

Edited by 910Esprit