free hit
counters
The car in front is a Toyota/Honda/Ford/Saab? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Al.

The car in front is a Toyota/Honda/Ford/Saab?

When Lotus were rummaging around in the Ford and Toyota parts bins for bits they obviously crossed the road for a look in Honda's as well. pirate.gif

I found the following photograph in the Honda Civic Type R online catalogue when looking at them for one of my sons. He has wisely rejected the Focus ST himself! thumbup.gif

post-7988-126783040022_thumb.jpg

I thought looks familiar? So as offshore presently had to resort to library pics I have and sure enough.

post-7988-126783048741_thumb.jpg

post-7988-126783052971_thumb.jpg

Nothing wrong with that and if it is Honda it will be well enough made. Just caught my eye as is unusual design and I remembered the Morris Marina door handles or whatever they were, that some Esprit owner reminded me they had in the early days (Okay that was external I know)

The Evora is becoming a real coat of many colours. I wonder how many more parts we will spot with time? Anybody else spotted bits belonging elsewhere? yes.gif

So far I am aware of the instrument binacle stalks, keys and therefore locks being Ford. Towing eye - Ford (well until it was replaced anyway, as old one was covered in Ford badges) Engine and associated bits obviously Toyota. I have also seen the standard Alloys on a Saab alongside me in traffic but don't know if original fit or not and I appreciate will be from one of the big suppliers no doubt. You can't count the suspension and braking systems as they are advertised vendors.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Indeed - I have a Civic too and noticed the same! very functional at least :D

Peter Stevens used the same Citroen mirror on 6 cars including the Esprit and Mclaren F1, it's common practise. Lambo's have calibra leccy window switches, why re-invent the wheel :D

http://www.peterstevensdesign.co.uk/mclaren.htm

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I remembered the Morris Marina door handles or whatever they were, that some Esprit owner reminded me they had in the early days (Okay that was external I know)

And internal, they were BL too! but they were also used on MG's Triumphs and Range rovers. People just want to pick Marina to make them sound naff. IMO the 'later' door handles everyone seems to prefer on the Esprit are much more dodgy having come from the Calibra, one of the most chavvy town boy cars ever made, they might as well stuck Opel manta handles on and have done with it!

And the 'new dash' cowl comes from vauxhall corsa parts bin!

I wonder if there is a car in the whole world that does not have one part, even a relay or a bulb, that is also used on something dire?

:D

Would not mind betting the BL door handle (on the Landrover discovery too BTW) has to be the longest use of a door handle in automotive production? I bet some low volume maker still uses it even now???

IMO the 'later' door handles everyone seems to prefer on the Esprit are much more dodgy having come from the Calibra, one of the most chavvy town boy cars ever made, they might as well stuck Opel manta handles on and have done with it!

Heh Paul, Didn't know that about Calibra handles but what was wrong with Mantas? I had 2. thumbsup.gif They were much better than the competition at the time - the Capri. I know as I had 4 of them from 1.30~2.8i also. Gulp. whistle.gif What have I started? Probably shouldn't admit it but I did also go looking for a Calibra Turbo 4x4 as well but that was a huge disapointment when test driven, (tiny power band very high up) so thankfully didn't buy or you would only slag me. welcome.gif I don't know where it scores in Chav World but that time I ended up with a Celica. (Can't remember the designation, but was L reg) The one made famous by Calos Saintz and with the pop up headlights. It was same colour as my Evora and one of my favourite cars. I saw one recently and a bit like the Esprit the shape is once again cool and the car looked great. sofa.gif (Okay I'll bend over now. Go gentle with me please. I blame drink and age)

Anyway just in case anybody misunderstood my original post I wasn't slagging Lotus for pilfering others parts bins. Why not indeed. Better from many different vendors and have lots of the best bits than verything from one manufacturer.

• Like 1

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Was that the model if Celica that supplied the tail lights for the Stevens Esprits?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Was that the model if Celica that supplied the tail lights for the Stevens Esprits?

Sadly no. The celica Al had was the Calos Saintz GT4, a 4WD turbo to commemorate his rally successm many of them rolled out with a huge 'Calos Saintz' signature down the side of the car. Bonnet had lots of grills and vents, rear had a huge for the time (like the later supra and evo) raised wing. The esprit back light IIRC came from a hideously generic Corrola?

Apparently the S3 esprit number plate lights were used on the Rolls Royce. One wonders if the Elise/Exige/Evora's are the only lotus road cars with rear lights made by Lotus maybe?

I think the outside mirrors are the same as on some newer Jag models I've seen on the road. I have not been able to confirm but if someone has a newer Jag and can take a look...

I remember my 91 M100 had part bits from lots of different places.

It didn't bother me because Lotus is the master at taking all those bits and creating one awsome car!

Love Lotus!

smile.gif

No, the Fiat X19 lights on your S1 are the right way up. The SD1 lights on the later cars are upside down.

i belive Lambo Diablo lights are off a Nissan 300zx?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I think the outside mirrors are the same as on some newer Jag models I've seen on the road. I have not been able to confirm but if someone has a newer Jag and can take a look...

I was told personally by no less than Roger Becker himself at the post Motor Show launch tour of dealers in Sept. 08 that he had had to sign off on some ridiculous sum to get the wing mirrors mouldings as designed as the original mule cars had used a Corsa set or something. He had felt that it was very important that something like this was unique to the car and not a copy.

Now why he thought that for wing mirrors but not other parts I have no insight. They maybe wouldn't then have whistled annoyingly when travelling higher than 50mph with windows open..... anybody else noticed this? If I touch the end of mirror somewhere whistle stops. Happens on both. This last few weeks was first time I've driven any significant distance with windows open since delivery in September due to typical fine Scottish weather. It was noisy enough for 'er indoors to tell me to slow down or put up window.

I’m glade Lotus had mirrors made just for the Evora but they still look very similar to the X, XK and S-Type mirrors. Oh well love the Evora if they are with or without Jag mirrors rolleyes.gif

post-9120-127423666087.jpg

post-9120-127423666785.jpg

post-9120-127423667706.jpg