free hit
counters
Headlight Pod Mask - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superdavelotus

Headlight Pod Mask

I am just putting a few bits of trim on my car and have the headlight pods masks to fit. The holes seem much bigger in both the mask and the pod than any of my other Esprits. My other Esprits just had self tapping screws but I think the G shape cars have something different like a plastic expanding panel screw perhaps? Or those metal bolts with rubber/bras inserts that bulge out when you tighten it up?

Any help will be appreciate

David

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Dave,

I know this sounds nuts, but on my S3 i used plastic collapsing expanding fixings meant for plasterboard. There are loads of sizes about and they fit flush then espand to create a tight fixing, also, unlike the rubber/metal insert things Lotus use, there is noting to corrode them tight and you will always be able to get them undone. Rattle free too.

Plan to use the same on the elise fog light/reverse light grills as believe it or not Lotus STILL used these 'rust up and spin round forever' rubber fittings on the elise...

:)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting me know. I spoke to Pete at PNM this afternoon and he confirmed the same type of plastic fixing. He's going to order some in the morning for me. Unless anyone knows where I can buy them off the shelf? I get so impatient sometimes, I just want to fit them!

I am going to pop to Halfords in the morning to see if they do any in the 'bits and bobs' section. I found one or two from some speakers I removed from a V8 but not quite right size.

These would be perfect for your fog light etc. They are same on V8 lower lip spoiler except a bit bigger.

David

Any big DIY shop will have many many different types of plastic expandinding fixings, go look and there will be one for every purpose.

TBH if Lotus had gone to B&Q and spent £10 on each car they would be much easier to take apart now. Was really shocked to see the same rubber/rusted insert fixing that i had to drill out of my 1983 Esprit, still being used (and rusted solid) on my 1999 Elise. I figure they bought a 'job lot'.

:)

I'm pretty sure my car has these things holding the headlight mask on (very well despite several removal and refits.

fix29.jpg

Or something similar. These are from vehicle wiring products at 22p each but I'm sure there are better fixings/prices out there.

Edited by slewthy

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein