free hit
counters
airbag light - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lightcore

airbag light

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm not positive, but I think you need a Tech-1 to read the SIR codes. A standard OBDII scanner doesn't work.....or at least I'm pretty sure mine doesn't.

You can read it via the OBD-connector, but only with a Tech-1 and the right 'data-cartridge' fitted in. As the usual OBD-code readers mostly only refer to the 'engine-pins' ...and not contact the Pin combination for the SIR/airbag-system.

The workshop-book illustrates the pin is there within the OBD2, but I've also no ability to contact/read it with my free-market tool. Also think you will need to contact a dealer for a assistance (code verification). But there still is some hope that for example Peter, with his useful engine-reader software will develop (with his obviously good contacts to the factory on that... :D) a other version that also contacts with the airbag-system in near future... . Peter, com on :D :D

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Erik -you have a S4.

But can *Espritmon* work on the later ('96 on) OBD confirmed/certificated systems too... ?

As this is the problem, keep in mind that the connector type on the Esprits has changed within production life !

Well, in the schematic of the MY '98, on sheet 23, the same pin of the DERM that is used in the S4 (A11) goes to a point where the text says 'to ALDL (SIR) see sheet 6'.

On sheet 6, which shows both ALDL and OBD2 connectors, the DERM wire (the orange one) goes to G of the front ALDL. This is the same as in the S4. Only, in the S4, the ECU, the ABS and the SIR are all connected to 'G' and to access either the SIR or the ABS, the ECU needs to receive the 'shut up' command (mode 8). After that, data from the SIR can be requested using $FA, and from the ABS using $F2. My guess is that at least in the MY '98 and possibly also in later years, the SIR still uses the old-fashiond ALDL, while the ECU has been upgraded to OBD2.

With Espritmon, the 'h' key goes to the SIR mode by sending the mode 8, and after that the SIR request ($FA etc.)

It's worth a try if your airbag light is on. Note that by default Espritmon is in the replay mode, so the lotus.cfg file needs to be modified, see the manual.

Good luck,

Erik

Edited by eriks4

Erik, thanks for the detailed descriptions -your thughts go in the same way as mine on this special ALDL/OBD interchange in the wiring-sheme... .

Up to now it was allways the problem to guide my diagnostic tool on the right way to use this special pin... . So if *Espritmon* is able to do it (as you say, it is worth a try!) -how can we with the OBD-system cars and our ordinary OBD-diagnostic tool get on a copy of the *Espritmon* software ?

And does the ALDL-interface used for the *free-scan* software work as well with this *Espritmon* system? It would make a good deal for Bibs -if all the V8 guys around could buy one additional to have an tool that is able to identify SIR faults ! ;)

Tried to google Espritmon -but no chance on this ?!

in the Stevens Esprit Technical Room there is the Freescan FAQ. In this pinned thread there is a link to my website.

This one: http://homepages.ipact.nl/~theunissen/

Somewhere below the plots generated by Espritmon there is a link to download it. It is a zip archive. Make sure you read the manual part about the configuration files.

I use a homebuilt ALDL interface, but basically every ALDL-serial or if you have USB ALD-USB interface should work.

Good luck,

Erik

tanks for that -sounds like I need some reading time now... will be a long night.

The DIY 'ALDL connector' needs some parts from the electronics-shop, but I like that. The soldering-iron is plugged in ;)

the best way would be: a GB based V8 guy could borrow someones 4-pot Freescan cable today, and runs on that the *Espritmon* system. Or someone with an ordinary 10pin ALDL/Rs232 [or USB] Adapter-Interface would verify that a SIR-system code can be monitored via notebook on a V8 car.

We have the same wiring, that's for sure... Erik, me and others - we all think as it is in the workshop-book , so it should be there for real rolleyes.gif ...after all it would mean a big improvement on serviceability and reliability on our V8 cars ! getmecoat.gif

Edited by Günter

This is all I saw in the 350. I've got Espritmon and a cable right here, just no-where to plug it into!

post-1-127004945161.gif

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Interesting, so at some point Lotus must have changed the interface to the SIR. I never realized the 350 did have SIR anyway.

the car in Bibs hands is actualy a GB- based S350 !! So there is no airbag, and therefore no 10pin ALDL ... (see the non-connected passenger inflator module wiring [yellow!]

..the engine-management is on the 16 pin OBD connector, as usual on our V8s

Edited by Günter

I forgot to mention that although Espritmon will show all information it can get from the SIR DERM, in terms of fault codes it will only show the numbers. At the time I wrote version 3, I did not have any more information on the specific meaning of the codes. Here is what I have been able to collect in the meantime:

FAULT CODE 14 Dual Pole Arming Sensor Disconnected

FAULT CODE 15 Passenger Initiator Circuit Resistance High

FAULT CODE 16 Passenger Initiator Circuit Resistance Low

FAULT CODE 17 Passenger Initiator Circuit Open

FAULT CODE 18 Discriminating Sensor Interconnect Open

FAULT CODE 19 Passenger Initiator Circuit Voltage High

FAULT CODE 21 Driver Initiator Circuit Resistance High

FAULT CODE 22 Driver Initiator Circuit Resistance Low

FAULT CODE 23 Driver Initiator Circuit Voltage High

FAULT CODE 24 Initiator Circuit Voltage Low

FAULT CODE 25 Initiator Circuit Short to Ignition

FAULT CODE 26 Driver Initiator Circuit Open

FAULT CODE 28 Current Sink Or Source Failure

FAULT CODE 31 Driver Loop Energy Reserve Feed Open

FAULT CODE 34 Dual Pole Arming Sensor Ignition Feed Open

FAULT CODE 35 Discriminating Sensor Open or Missing

FAULT CODE 36 Passenger Loop Energy Reserve Feed Open

FAULT CODE 37 ??

FAULT CODE 42 Loop Energy Reserve Voltage Low

FAULT CODE 43 Driver Source Feed Low

FAULT CODE 44 Passenger Source Feed Low

FAULT CODE 51 Frontal Crash Detected

FAULT CODE 52 Data Area Full

FAULT CODE 53 Driver Side Low High Resistance

FAULT CODE 54 Passenger Side Low High Resistance

FAULT CODE 55 DERM Incompatibility

FAULT CODE 61 SIR Indicator Circuit Failure

FAULT CODE 62 Redundant SIR Indicator Circuit Failure

FAULT CODE 71 Internal Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module Fault

FAULT CODE 73 ??

FAULT CODE 74 ??

FAULT CODE 75 Internal DERM Fault

FAULT CODE 76 ??

FAULT CODE 81 Driver Ignition Diode Open

FAULT CODE 82 Passenger Ignition Diode Open

In the next version I will add a screen that shows the text. Any information on the meaning of the missing codes 37, 73, 74 and 76 is appreciated

Good luck hunting down the cause of the SIR trouble code.

ErikS4

there is no 37 in the workshop-book,

code 71/73/74/75 -and/or 76 -Internal Derm Fault...

'Codes shown above is an indication of an intenal Derm malfunction and will set if any of the following conditions are detected: 1)Derm energy reserve voltage discharge time failure for three consecutive ignition cycles [Turn-On test], 2) Derm is unable to read from or write to EEPROM [testing during EEPROM read/write cycle], 3) Either *36VLR* power supply voltage is above a specified value for 500 milliseconds [Continious monitoring test], 4) Derm calculated number for the vehicle in which it is installed does not match the value stored in EEPROM

..and so on -see page 86 section WC.4

History code 83 -Driver Reserve Diode Shorted

...during [Turn -On test], performed at the beginning of each ignition cycle , the Derm delays the charging of the *Driver 36 VLR* and Passenger 36 VLR* power supplies. While the delay is active the Derm measures the voltage at the *Driver 36 VLR* terminal A4, *Passenger 36VLR* terminal A3, *DRiver Source Sense* terminal A5, and *Passenger Source Sense* terminal A6. When the driver reserve diode is shorted *Ignition 1* voltage is measured at *Driver 36VLR* from the forward biased driver ignition diode. When the voltage measured at *Driver 36VLR* is within a specified range of *Ignition1* voltage for eight consecutive *Turn -ON* tests history Code 83 is set.

++++++++++++++

History code84 -Passenger Reserve Diode Shorted

...sounds as above, with 'passenger' in the meaning..

Hi Gunther, thanks for the info, I will add it into the menu in Espritmon.

Do you have an electronic version of the DERM section of te workshop book you refer too?

I just noticed that fault 83 and fault 84 are only stored in the history part of the data, at the moment I do not decode them, will need to add this too.

ErikS4

what I have is the printed hardcover-books... and an pdf-file version -I have got that via the university's fibre optic limitless access lines. But the electronic version is 63MB, it is one you can find in the *www* ...my analoge 'call by call' @home is not able to upload 63MB again into the web.

Erik, can you post the exact wiring-shematics of your 10-pin interface system. What I can see in the web is various references , especially for GM 6/12-pin controlers But I'm interested in an exact circuit drawing with id-numbers of IC, capacitors, resistors, diodes of the RS232 [serial] to 10-pin ALDL system that works with your SIR in the car.

Special point to mention: In all those wirings in the *www* is no information on 'sensitivity' of those circuits, in other words ...do I need to buy higher rated (special tolerance classes) resistors, or does it work with the cheaper resistors available in every DIY-electronic stores ?

thanks !

Hi Guenther,

I built both interfaces (with a small difference), and they both work. The first one requires fewer components and the Max232 can drive the ALDL line, no additional two transistors like in the second schematic are needed to achieve this.

The value of the resistor in the schematic is not very critical.

Now about the small difference. There are many different versions of the Max232 available (varying in cost from 1.87 to , and some only require 100nF capacitors for the internal charge pump. The schematics show 4.7 uF and 1 uF respectively, which increases the size of your interface and you have to watch the polarity of the capacitors.

On conrad.de they sell the one I used for 2.61 Euro: IC MAX232ACPE+ DIP16, Best.-Nr.: 170043 - 62

Good luck,

Erik

post-419-127063118602.gif

post-419-127063119466.jpg

I see you're on the same trail as I'm .. :)

*Conrad* would be my first choice, as I have this dealer network locally an can get my electronics stuff from there normally.

So I will give it a go, and try it out on next possible time. We will see if it helps to find the 'long old fault' living in the system now for years... .

update:

the first one is for the 12-pin ALDL, as I see ...the Data-line looks like it is on a different point ?!

as you say -technically it should work with this small set-up with the fewer parts adopted for the 10-pin ALDL ?

other question, is the thyristor any specific ? ..can't identify it in the shop.

Edited by Günter

Hi Guenther, the first schematic does work, but as you point out it is for the 12 pin ALDL. Instead of pin M for the data, you should use pin G. Also, on many/all? 12 pin ALDLs (not used in the Esprit as far as I know, but present on many older US cars), there is no 12V, so people building these interfaces need to use another source, e.g. the cigarette lighter. A friend of mine who has an old ZR1 (The Corvette C4 with the Lotus engine) uses this approach. So, you can use the first schematic, but with the connections for +12V, GND and data shown in the second one (10 pin ALDL).

If you decide to build the second one, almost any NPN transistor will do, because you use them as a switch. So, the BC547, BC549, they are all ok.

Good luck,

Erik

Thanks again - I will see what I can get in Berlin if time is up.

Today was an other day for parts 'search & hunt' for the Elise. Luckily there is less electronics stuff in there -I simply use a hammer and a spanner to 'turn the aluminium bars on the right side as it should' ...not recommended as serious road-worthy way ..but a lot of fun ! :)

SIR light is on again, so I need to have this Interface thing working..

what I can confirm is:

steady 13.3 volts between Pin A & F with 'ignition on' or 'off' ...and from the software side: it is possible to switch between various screens by pressing on the keyboard letters in the *Espritmon*-program. The com-port number was sucessfully changed in the program setting file. The replay mode is changed to 'log to ECM'-mode. Not sure that this is enough to be able to work on the different screen layouts?!

My real problems are: to find the best 1024x600 high/low-resolution settings for the computer display. The monitor is only an 8" type as it looks, so the numbers on the edges do not fit within the screen. (sidenote: do I need to have the *version & copyright* information mask [with the wight background] open steady ?!) and more importand -I do not know how to change the mentioned *HKEY_Local.....\...\system\S2pr* file to 8200baud . My computing skills are not good enough to find that within the registry/system/windows data.

Do I have to bridge the rest of the RS232 Sub-D 9pin female connector, like it is shown in the second of the wiring plans -or is it enough to have the pins 5/2/3 contacted like it was shown in the first wiring-plan ?

The soldering worked easy, overal cost was around 6 Euros :)

Eric, I need some advice please :(

Edited by Günter