free hit
counters
Some new trim and seals... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hylandmotorsport

Some new trim and seals...

Hi all,

I just listed some bits I have let over from my S3 restoration that I won't need now. The ad

I don't check the forsale section that often so for those that are just like me I've double listed (Sorry Bibs)sofa.gif and put a post in here too.

They are new parts (waist band trim, Bonnet and tailgate seals), if it helps get another Esprit looking a fraction smarter I'll gladly take a hit on the price.

Cheers

David

Edited by hylandmotorsport

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi David,

I might need the wastband strip for my car. I have a roll but I've never fitted this before and fear that I'll cock it up! I will let you know in the morning. my tailgate seal is also looking tired so I'll let you know on that too!

Did you fit your strip yourself? Any tips? If doing outdoors, do you have to wait until warmer weather? Do you need a heat gun?

Can you email any tips please? [email protected]

Regards,

David Walters

Hi Dave,

The waist band trim itself is very easy to fit, as for weather as long as its not freezing and the car is not wet or rain is not on the way its fine to do it outdoors, Just remove the old waistband trim slowly as some cars have been resprayed and the trim left on, not nice to see a bit of paint of paint come of so remove it carefully. Then clean down the panel/edge where the strip used to be as it will have dirt and sorts of crud that have been collecting for years!

Tools you will need are stanley blade or sharp pin snips, masking tape, and the adhesive sjs sells the stuff but i have used tiger seal its black and gives maximum bond!

Start at the front near the bumper and put the band up to the car and measure it up in place allowing a little extra to be on the safe side, cut it off apply adhesive to the inside of the band all the way along not to little as it wont adhere aswell and not to much or you will end up with it everywhere and its a bugger to clean off!

Then offer it up applying pressure as you go along making sure it sits well and correctly follows the contours of the body and then when you happy stick srips of masking tape every few inches to hold it in situ!

Its a very easy job providing you take your time and a job that defo makes the car look better, also another tip is to wear rubber gloves i.e the doctors type ones as for each bit you stick on replace the gloves as otherwise the black adhesive gets everywhere and also takes ages to clean of the car and your hands!

Also another tip is keep going out to the car once your finshed to make sure that non of the band is coming away last thing you want to do is go out a few hours later and see your hard work ruined by a bit that has come away!

p.s no hot air gun needed! Regards danny and good luck

A

Hi Dan,

That's a fantastic write up! It's given me confidence now to go and tackle it! The only thing I need to know now is what angle do you feather the ends down to? You see, my car was resprayed many years ago and wasteband never put on. So I don't know what it looked like before. Could you email some pictures of the angles you cut yours at to [email protected] please?

The old carrier on one door is still on but it's broken in the odd place. The other door the carrier is missing but I have two new carriers to fit.

My other worry is that because it's been resprayed, I don't know whether the additional paint over the seem around the wheel arches will prevent me from getting the trim on?

I spoke to my Lotus guy and he said I needed to do all sorts of fettling, use a guage or piece of trim and try it all the way along incase i need to shave some of the seam down. He made the job sound like a nightmare!? Iam usually quite handy but this out me off.

I really want to get this trim on in next week or so...

David

Guys, I've looked at SJs partlist and there seem to be different waistline trims used before and after 1986. Not sure exactly how different they are and thinking about it, the seams must be the same but might be worth comparing pictures of what you've got first?

Just a thought.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Hi Simon,

Well spotted! I will get the part number checked out today.

Once again, thanks for pointing it out.

Will put a post back on here.

Regards,

David

Yes it is different,

Dave from Belfast trim is part number B076U6005V but I've just checked the part number on mine and it's A082U5105V. Mine's bespoke to the Esprit whereas the '076 number is from another car.

It's a good job Dave put a part number on.

Duh me! Didn't even think to check, just asumed it was same part.

David

I fitted my waist trim over the newly sprayed car...no difficulties to speak of. Warming the trim up helps it to lay nicely and not try to stay curly...depends on how cold it is when you're doing it! Essential to mask above and below the trim position to make sure you don't get the glue where you don't want it to be!! A suitable brush was useful for the glue application process, too. The bits where it goes over the doors needed suitable wood carriers, 3/8" square iirc, fixed to the doors by self tap screws. A bit fiddly, but only a morning's work and down the pub by lunchtime!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The bits where it goes over the doors needed suitable wood carriers, 3/8" square iirc, fixed to the doors by self tap screws. A bit fiddly, but only a morning's work and down the pub by lunchtime!

Sorry, wood fitted to the outside of the car? I'm starting to think Morris Traveller...

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments, I think all the questions have been answered in one way or another.

One thing, Slewthy is correct, they are actually plactic carrier strips for the doors, I replaced both of mine and got them from Paul Matty.

The waist band trim is now sold but the tailgate and bonnet seals are still up for grabs.

I've also just finished fitting a Citreon C1 wiper are to my car, top modification BTW, I'd already bought a new wiper for the Esprit arm and it's now surplus to requirements, anyone want the wiper blade for the cost of shipping? First to shout gets it.

If anyone is interested in the Esprit wiper arm let me know, it is repairable (splines are worn) but I thought it more cost effective to replace the arm and as the Esprit arm in no longer available the C1 arm was the logical choice. I fitted the C1 arm as per Ajay's desciption but used an 8mm ball stud (rs cmponents stock number 689-394) as this is much more free than an 8mm stud but still as secure.

Edited by hylandmotorsport