free hit
counters
Fuel Quantity Indications 89 SE - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Qavion

Fuel Quantity Indications 89 SE

Hi, gents.

I have an erratic fuel quantity indications. Sometimes the reading will drop by a quarter of full scale (activating the low fuel level light in some cases). I thought my float resistor card had worn out. I had that replaced by a VDO service centre, but the problem persists.

Could it be an indicator... or is it more likely to be wiring?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Ian.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I believe there is no dampening in the gauge. Someone on here found another gauge whcih fits and fixes it but the original gauge swings all over the shop.

It's a feature... :thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I understand that there might be variations when accelerating, corning, etc, but mine is dropping for quite long periods. Sometimes it doesn't return to normal.

The float arm doesn't seem to be binding.

There is a "Low Fuel Warning Lamp Delay Module" shown in the wiring diagrams (in the forward luggage compartment). Would this be some sort of capacitor? I guess I could try reseating or replacing this.

Cheers.

Ian.

Ian,

Oh ok. Might be an earth or the relay. I did have an issue with my stereo in my car after having the battery disconected for awhile. Not a security code unit either. Sort of worked but then it wouldn't. Pulled the fuse out to check it. All ok. Put it back and no more issue with stereo.

Another feature. :thumbsup:

Maybe try reseating the relay.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Thanks, Michael.

Seems I am going senile. I just remembered that I have already replaced the relay, so it's either the gauge or the wiring/earth.

I'll try some wiring shake checks with someone sitting in the cockpit.

Cheers

Ian