free hit
counters
well soon see if this fits - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr.oogieboogie

well soon see if this fits

hello everyone. well i will be test fitting my stainless manifold, had a look at it today and will be fitting in a week or two, much lighter than the cast one happy with how its put together, the only dimensions that are different is the overall pipe is thicker so it will be a bit closer to the engine. if it dont fit then they will modify it

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

hello everyone. no the arms not gold , camera phone, pic was taken at reasonable quality but compressed to get them all on. this may look a bit better . i have had it made without studs as it was much easier to access and remove when i used bolts on the cast one

That's a lot of dosh!

It does look lovely, however I still preffer the flange to flange bracing leaving the pipes to flex, expand, sag, whatever, as they see fit. It does look well made and I sure hope it works long term :thumbsup:

Chunky Lover

yes not cheap, but after having a southwest uprated one fail (think they come in at around £660) i thought knackers to it and decided to get a stainless one made (was more determed after the ones from the usa fell through), took a while to get the guy to agree do it i left my manifold over christmas with them so they could look at it at their leisure.

they wanted £950 for one or £850 for a run of three but i said i only wanted one and would pay £850 and they began work on it.

it was good of dr hess to send me details on how he made his and what to watch out for so the guys could read up on it

i know the guy who welded it is ex rollsroyce aerospace and the welding looks top drawer a big weight saving over the original as with the stainless cat they made for me last year

I am well pleased with mine, although I would not under any circumstances recommend the supplier, is sounds absolutly fantastic sham its not on show on top of the engine. Not got it hot yet but hey time will tell.

The three fitting issues will be the front engine mount (hopefully yours will be ok (mine hit the mount by some 2 inches) the oil return from the turbo (open holes up and you can move the connection to clear. And finally the gearbox, you should be ok here it looks like yours will clear.

Best of luck.

I would have provided a picy here but the system will not let me (over the quota) ...................

The workmanship and aesthetics look great. Hope it fits the first time and hurry up and get the video posted. :thumbsup:

1995 S4s

well thanks for the support, i will take a few pics once its on and try to get a video sound clip when i fire it up, just getting some nuts and things together as i need to finish fitting the stainless cat (left it loose it loose in case i neede some movement getting the turbo onto the manifold 1st)

well i got the manifold today, and its almost on,just needed to have two sections dressed and the holes made abit larger, a bit more trickey to fit (get the nuts on etc) as the tubes are a bit wider and access is tight. i have bolted (loosley) 7 of the 12 studs (as the light was going and it was raining) i also got three bolts on the turbo so i should have it finished tomorrow one good thing is that the engine mount fits bang on with no catching.

well it fits now, finished it yesterday, lost count of haow many times i had it on and off (must have been around 8 times) its now possible to remove teh manifold leaving the turbo and the engine mount in last time i took it off it took me around 2hours, lots of flow through the tail pipe, and sounds nice, a bit of popping (even with the cat on) and a couple of other noises (which i thought was the manifold not sealing on a cylinder but after listening to the cylinders with a hose i can not hear any leaks and blocking up the exhaust pipe causes no visible leaks ) now think its possibly some unburnt fuel as the car is in learn mode and i dont get it all the time i will try to get a sound file or some more pics later as i need to put the undertray back on and take it to be warmed up, then its in with the chip

Peter,

That looks great. Funny how after repeated times it just gets easier and easier. It will be of interest to see how both yours and Dave Freeman's manifold performs in the term. You sound much happier with your fabricator than Dave does.

Looks like your efforts have paid off. Hope all is well with you

hello Christopher. yes pretty happy with the manifold and also the customer service, just annoyed that i have the intermittent problem at the moment i think i refitted a couple of times thinking the manifold was leaking but when its running correctly on all 4 you can feel the flow from the exhaust pipe from around 5 or 6 feet away from the car, when it has the noise the flow from teh exhaust pipe is much less, pretty sure its lead or injector issue. i hope that either manifold holds up as this may give others another avenue when the cast ones crack