free hit
counters
no spark at all - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stink

no spark at all

I am having major startin problems with my s3 esprit 1986 , i have no spark at all can anyone help ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When did it last run? Has any work been done on it lately? Where did you check for a spark - at the plugs, or have you also checked the coil?

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

It last run on Sunday , it took ages for me to start it but eventually started and ran well , had problems on Monday thought it was the coil lead so replaced it , still no better today have no spark at all now , it has had a new battery , new plug leads, new disc cap , new rotar arm , new plugs , new coil , cant think what else i can do ?

Unfamiliar with the S3's, but do they use electronic ignition? If so, you might possibly have a failed ignition module or pick-up coil. I've had ignition modules intermittently fail. Work fine one day, bad the next, and again working the day after.

Yes has electronic ignition , and the timing is spot on but havent checked ignition modual , how would i check that ?

You generally have to have it checked on a machine. Most local chain part stores have the equipment to check the ignition module. You might call around to a few. If you're in the States, most Autozone stores can check the module for you.

Edit: checking the pick-up coil can be done using a standard ohm meter connected to the two leads of the pick-up coil. You'll have to check the specs on what your resistance range should be on the coil.....but I can tell you that if you get very high or very low resistance then the coil needs replacing.

Edited by freshcut

The Lucas ignition system has a three pin connector in the lead from the electronics to the distributor trigger.This often corrodes and then you get no sparks! Well worth a check. See if you have sparks from the HT lead from the coil...if you can get sparks from there, it's a distributor cap/ rotor arm problem; if not, then you're into the optical trigger, the 3 pin connector or the sparks box itself. Unlikely to be that, though, as I'm still using a spark box that spent months under water!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein