free hit
counters
Anyone painted the ally water pipes? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buddsy

Anyone painted the ally water pipes?

I was cleaning up my ally water pipe bits and they are really quite corroded and look a bag of ole shite. I was wondering if anyone has painted them? Either black or silver. I know they get some heat but not too much?

Cheers

Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've seen a few painted silver ones in here, can't see it being too much of an issue to be fair, although you may find the rubber hoses binding themselves to the paint over time.

I think it should be ok but like you say may scuff a bit where the tube goes on. I think I may paint mine black.

Buddsy

POR-15 works great.

Annodising would be fab as it would protect the inside too. How did it look? I was told poor quality alloy doesn't annodise too well.

I'm about to have mine fabricated as both the water return pipes and the heater pipes are corroded beyond repair. Anyone else done this and know what it cost? I'm hoping it's not too expensive given the tubes have a pretty standard bend. I also need to locate the rubber grommets in the correct size, which I know won't be easy!

Beware of pin holes when you clean them up. I cleaned one of mine, no prior leaks but it produced pin holes in the ally, so had to be replaced.

Thanks for the info Roger, mine is quite bad in places.

As Simon said I get alot of work Anodised but didnt think it would take very well on old ally?

I was thinking about making a new one. Either in ally or maybe in stainless.

Buddsy

Could you coat inside and out with the POR paint and build it back up? Would that work? It'd be very strong and no chance of it corroding back through?

Thanks for the info Roger, mine is quite bad in places.

As Simon said I get alot of work Anodised but didnt think it would take very well on old ally?

I was thinking about making a new one. Either in ally or maybe in stainless.

Buddsy

Got to say that the pipes were in quite reasonable condition before anodising, so didn't cause a problem.

Budsy, if you're interested I've got some instructions for DIY anodising; I thought that would be right up your ally!

Haven't tried it myself, but it should be very do-able and I don't think the setup will be expensive.

Kind regards

Brandt