free hit
counters
S3 na sump removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jetace25

S3 na sump removal

If anyone has managed this please could they explain how to do it. Does the engine have to be lifted a little?

Many thanks in advance,

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sure Sparkys done this on an S4 which should be very similar if not a little harder as the sumps are a little deeper, just got to watch you dont damage the oil pickup pipe and strainer, oh and remove the dipstick first!

If Sparky doesn't pop up in here then drop him a PM :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon350S

Hi,

Yes is can be done as i whipped mine of a few years back, Undo both engine mount bolts and raise engine slighty, Its a bit awkward but it can done, a lot easier than pulling the engine, the hardest or most difficult part i found was putting it back on, because as there is no sump gasket you have to use the loctite orange stuff from sjs, put a bead around the sump and mind not to knock the lip on anything or it breaks the sealant line!

Most of all ensure both surfaces are dry,clean and grease free! I used very fine wet and dry paper to clean the surfaces and then cleaned done with brake and clutch cleaner!

Regards danny

Hiya - yes, did it on an S4 last year without lifting the engine. Pretty tight getting it past the strainer, but once you get the knack it's OK. Not sure about a G, but I'd certainly be giving it a go insitu!

Hi,

Yes is can be done as i whipped mine of a few years back, Undo both engine mount bolts and raise engine slighty, Its a bit awkward but it can done, a lot easier than pulling the engine, the hardest or most difficult part i found was putting it back on, because as there is no sump gasket you have to use the loctite orange stuff from sjs, put a bead around the sump and mind not to knock the lip on anything or it breaks the sealant line!

Most of all ensure both surfaces are dry,clean and grease free! I used very fine wet and dry paper to clean the surfaces and then cleaned done with brake and clutch cleaner!

Regards danny

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Danny, did you raise the engine with a hoist or support it somewhere underneath? I've been told to use Permabond A136 for the seal at £18.00 eek.

Thanks again,

Si

Edited by jetace25

Hi Si,

No engine hoist mate, just a normal jack and a bit of soft wood as a cushion, as for the location its been a few years mate and dont have the lotus engine anymore or i would pop out and have a look chap, but cant remember it been hard to find a place to put the jack.

Regards danny

Or just try it without lifting the engine.

The engine position is exactly the same on your car as it is on the S4 and the chassis is relatively unchanged so it should be possible