free hit
counters
Lowering? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thom_77

Lowering?

What's the approximate height for these cars? The data on LEW says 46", but I've seen pictures and some cars seem to ride much higher than others as evidenced by the wheel arch gaps, particularly in the front. I attached a couple of pics, one is a press shot of a Turbo Esprit, and one of my car, and as you can see mine seems much lower. My shocks, springs and bushes are brand new, so I know its not sagging... did a previous owner lower the car?

Anyone know what the deal is? The other part of this is that if the car is below 44" I can probably save myself $500 a month in parking fees because I'll be able to get under the self-park gate without paying devil.gif

post-6400-126843403482_thumb.jpg

post-6400-126843404861_thumb.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The road is curved in that top picture, making it look much worse!

Your car is riding about the same as mine, which is also brand new, although adjustable and on its lowest setting.

What suspension do you have on her?

He's not dreaming it Si,

There has been much talk over the years about ride height on G-cars, factory shots like these kinda fuel it:

Lotus_Essex_Esprit.jpg

Some early Esprits are pictured with a couple of inches less space in the arches than later ones. I neither know or care why BTW.

:)

I actually don't know what suspension is on there... it was one of the things that was done just before I acquired the car. I don't think its adjustable though.

I also have an old Esprit print advert here that shows a gap in the wheel height of approximately the same size... maybe its a federal thing? Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic but I don't have a scanner here... trust me though it looks about the same height.

post-6400-126843719883_thumb.jpg

I know about the height differences, remember the photo of Dodgys and Grahams old S3T which showed it very well, but that first piccy is a little unfair as the road is falling away under that far side rear wheel, the front of the car is then even higher than the back. Thats all I was pointing out.

Low IS the future! :)

Don't be fooled by promotional photographs. They aren't completely honest to what the engineers actually recommend the ride heights should be.

That red looks great on the G car - what colour is it? I was thinking of painting mine red, but since Lotus are back in F1 - I am thinking of painting it the sam colour as the GP cars.

As far as the ride height - could be the difference between Federal and EU cars - the Federal cars were higher as I recall to meet bumper and headlight height requirements. I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure that with Turbo Esprits, U.S. models sit higher than European models; such is absolutely true for S1/S2.

- T

Edited by Tony K

i have an early euro spec S3, its front ride height it far too high for my liking. i would like to lower it close to the 4 lug compomotive essex press car pic but i hear there are various problems in doing so with the early S3 suspension set up.

You'd need stiffer springs / dampers to reduce the amount of travel so as to prevent it reaching the bumps stops too soon. You'd have to have adjustable read top links to correct the excessive camber it would create back there, possibly adjusted front top wishbones for the same reason.

Oh, you'd also need a road with very few chippings of more than 1/2 inch above the surface and a spine that can take a lot of hassle. It will give you a lower ride, it will give you a firm ride but you'll have to be very careful to reverse the undesirable elements of what you do by lowering it otherwise it will handle like a pig.

It may look nice, but it's not very practical with modern speed bumps.

thats exactly what im talking about... reduce travel + stiffer springs for less grip + excessive chamber + reduced camber gain and not to mention a roll center that moves 6 feet under.

lots of negative things happen to just to make it look correct. to do it correctly one will need to move the upper pickup point or custom hub geometry.

cheers

pp

Hi,

As mentioned in the above post, to try to get the early esprits to look right in todays eyes is a pain in the :D arse

I have spent ages fiddleing about with the set up on mine,using different shocks,springs etc and yes in my eyes it looked the nuts and the car could be thrown into corners and would stick like glue! In the end the cars total roof height was under 43 inches!

Downsides in the end make me re work it all due to massive negative camber on the front and rear wheels which for a race car is fine but road car the bearing load is way to much, speed bumps where an absolute nighmare, general road condtions where pants as even the smallest pot hole or uneven road surface would after bump steer etc, felt like a go cart great fun but the cons ended up out weighing the pros.

In the end still kept the aftermarket shocks but used new springs to set it up higher, still way lower than normal mainly due now to the larger wheels but at least i dont feel bumps and have no worrys with speed bumps and still handles very well!

Well worth thinking about before shelling out on new bits!

Regards danny

Hi,

Also though i may as well add this not sure if its relevant but also you could consider leaving the suspension alone, and purchasing a set of compomotive or image 3 peice billet or alloy wheels, size 18" rear and 17" front they make them in the style similar to the old lotus bbs alloys wheels,and to the correct pcds etc, although fairly expensive it gives you the a few perks in the fact that the buying the suspension wont be cheap so you save on that, tyres are easy to get hold of for the modern rim sizes, the bigger rims in my eyes look better and will fill the arches using due to the new size and pcd, just my two pence.

Regards danny

SF

you car looks fantastic at that ride height. any idea how much higher the spring rates u used? how did you address the bumpsteer and camber gain? did you use a spacer linkage for the steering arms?

Re the Essex - As was told that the factory removed some of the front suspension for the press photo to get it to look that low.

im sure the press car had shorter springs that werent on the standard essex car sold. most of the 4 lug S3 turbos essex looks a least an inch lower. hear the front suspension is different besides the 4 lug hubs? anyone have any detailed pics of a the essexs front suspension?

That red looks great on the G car - what colour is it? I was thinking of painting mine red, but since Lotus are back in F1 - I am thinking of painting it the sam colour as the GP cars.

As far as the ride height - could be the difference between Federal and EU cars - the Federal cars were higher as I recall to meet bumper and headlight height requirements. I could be wrong though.

It's the original Jupiter Red. Its actually a metallic with a clearcoat and looks really great. Rare too, as far as I can tell.

And yes, I believe you're right about the Federal requirements, which is why I think they lowered mine.

Hi,

As mentioned in the above post, to try to get the early esprits to look right in todays eyes is a pain in the :) arse

I have spent ages fiddleing about with the set up on mine,using different shocks,springs etc and yes in my eyes it looked the nuts and the car could be thrown into corners and would stick like glue! In the end the cars total roof height was under 43 inches!

Downsides in the end make me re work it all due to massive negative camber on the front and rear wheels which for a race car is fine but road car the bearing load is way to much, speed bumps where an absolute nighmare, general road condtions where pants as even the smallest pot hole or uneven road surface would after bump steer etc, felt like a go cart great fun but the cons ended up out weighing the pros.

Yeah, the ride is extremely harsh in my car. I can't drive over cobblestone streets faster than 5-6mph, and if I hit a pothole it will shake the car so hard it switches the wipers on. Is that normal?

As a starting point for early G turbo's with air-con buy a set of new S&J front springs, they are identical to the Lotus one's, but get the the none air-con version springs this will lower the front, the springs are not expensive.

Steve T