free hit
counters
Wategate Adapter - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
R33S GT

Wategate Adapter

I'm looking for a wategate adapter that sits between the manifold and turbo - mine appears to be cracked. Anyone got any ideas where I might get one from?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Where's it cracked to?

If it's the valve seat that's cracked and it's not too bad I shouldn't worry too much. I've onward some havenlooked into getting the seats machined and inserts fitted but not seen one in person.

Post a photo if you can ;)

South west lotus have them for over £500 for one unit!!!!

No pics unfortunately as some idiot had the digital camera in his back pocket when he sat down! I've not had it out yet, but doing the best I could today without it on ramps I could see smoke rising from the top, somewhere near the exhaust manifold end.

There have been a couple going cheap on ebay recently...

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45f180139a

Tim,

Be careful, I had a look at that one and its NOT suitable for our G cars without changing to the later turbocharger with built in wastegate.

That one on e-bay has no flange for the external wastegate.

If you ever want to pop round and use Sue's car as a reference or borrow tools or even just talk things through, please feel free, just PM us to make sure we are in.

I'd offer to help but I've currently got a long list of jobs to do to keep Sue's car going. (and as its her everyday car I can't put them off)

John

For anybody following the various debates on stainless steel manifolds, I would think that it would not be too difficult for a bespoke exhaust manufacturer to make one in stainless or mild steel. But to modify the design to use a proprietry self-contained external wastegate (so it doesnt require a valve seat or secondary waste pipe...).

suitable 2nd hand ones are pretty rare (as are wastegates).

I did see the one on ebay and realised it was for turbo's with built in wastegate, shame otherwise I'd be bidding, even if just to get a spare. I won't rule out and oil leak until I've had a proper look, but I really don't think that's the cause.

Sadly no time today as on my way to a christening.

John - might have to take you up on your offer, you don't have a compression test kit do you, got a feeling I'll be needing a new head gasket too.....

John - might have to take you up on your offer, you don't have a compression test kit do you, got a feeling I'll be needing a new head gasket too.....

Tim,

I have a standard compression tester (screws into spark plug hole) that you are welcome to borrow. As its a two man job I'm happy to come round and help one evening.

Sadly I haven't got 'leak down test' facilities but it might be a start.

John

Compression test will be good enough for me to start with! I'll PM you later find out when you're free ;)

Back to the adapter.... Looking at the part numbers listed for the adapter - C910E1389, D910E1389 and E910E1389. Is this because there is a difference in the wastegate fixing?

If its cracked and leaking exhaust gasses you'd hear it for sure. Is there any

Smoke shouldn't be coming out of your exhaust unless you've got bigger issues to worry about though.

Do you get smoke out of your tail pipes? If not then its pretty unlikely its coming from a crack in your manifold.

Its very common for these to leak onto the manifold. Its worth a good look around. Maybe a clean up of the area with a good degreaser and see if the smoke still happens?

Well the good news is that there is smoke out of the exhaust, I'll find this week if there is any oil sitting on it. I have plenty of degreaser!

No smoke for the purpose of this thread! There are some other problems which I'm sorting, fingers crossed the adapter won't be one of them.