free hit
counters
Need help with my electrical window motor, - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Need help with my electrical window motor,

Hi everybody,

I live in France and i've got an Esprit Turbo 88,

Since my left eletrical window motor (left hand drive) doesn't work anymore and the right one seems quite "tired", I'm trying for months to find new ones or the way to repair it,

My nearest Lotus dealer (300km away...) told me that the spare part were no longer available from Lotus in the UK,

Do someone could help me in finding guenine/alternative motors or a technique to repair the current motors ?

Here are some pics of my left motor :

Moteur_dessus.gif

Moteur_plongeant.gif

Thanks for your help and sorry if my English is bad,

Have a good night...

Vivien

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Hi everybody,

I live in France and i've got an Esprit Turbo 88,

Since my left eletrical window motor (left hand drive) doesn't work anymore and the right one seems quite "tired", I'm trying for months to find new ones or the way to repair it,

My nearest Lotus dealer (300km away...) told me that the spare part were no longer available from Lotus in the UK,

Do someone could help me in finding guenine/alternative motors or a technique to repair the current motors ?

Here are some pics of my left motor :

Moteur_dessus.gif

Moteur_plongeant.gif

Thanks for your help and sorry if my English is bad,

Have a good night...

Vivien

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the problem with your motor do you know...Lubrication could be an issue....causing many things...Does the motor windings smell burnt !!!

What condition is the brush gear...what condition is the Communtator copper segments that the brushes rotate on...

Check for worn bearings etc...

I am an Auto Electrictrian

Sorry not able to help with parts or spares..be happy to answer any question

[email protected] or 07976 609881

As Rob says lubriction can slow the windows - try some silicone oil in the frame felt (poke it into the channels), I done this to my car and the windows go up and down mcuh easier. See if that helps first.

Again Rob is spot on with the things like commutators and cleanliness - it's worth stripping it down and cleaning it all up.

Not sure about the motors, Dealers probably won't have stock, specailists like the ones on Lotus Esprit World might. I would try e-mailing them and see what happens.

Failing that Donnington Parts fair is on in the UK very soon - I will try and keep an eye out for any there - I would suggest putting a 'wanted' post up closer to the date (18th March ?) so people remember.

Hope that helps !

(PS) your English is fine, much better than my French anyways :)

facebook = [email protected]

Aren't Lotus Windows motors from the GM parts bin? I found some GM early Corvette? window motors in my 91SE that some owner had replaced. Jaguar motors might be more easily obtained in Europe.

Check Dr. Hess's site for alternatives, he has a 88 also

http://home.flash.net/~hess/crystal_princess.htm

-Chandra

91SE

Thanks to all for your replies !!

Rob C & Jonathan --> In my case the "electromagnetic screw" doesn't work at all (in the driver door). In the passenger door (motor just "tired), you shoud be right and a good cleaning may solve the problem, I will try this WE,

Jonathan --> What is Donnington Parts ??

Chandrab --> thx for the link ! there is an intersting link inside to track all the jag window motor being sold on ebay, very usefull I find a motor which seems exactly the same (a bit expensive and I have to convince the seller to send it to France... but if it solve the problem then it may worse it),

CNH --> You're right a rebuild would be the perfect solution but I didn't find any adresse in Europe yet,

I sent severals emails to parts providers in the UK (listed in LEW/your posts) and the answer is always the same :

Lotus no longer supply the 10 tooth motor as in your photo.  We now have to supply a motor which has 8 drive teeth and a regulator to match the new motor.

The cost for the motor is

You should be able to find an electric motor shop to rebuild the motor in your town if you live in a major city. A place that rebuilds alternators and starters is a good place to start. If they can't fix I bet they know where to have it fixed.

Not not tell them it is a window motor from a Lotus or the price of the rebuild may magically rise every time you use the word Lotus or Esprit.

Hi there, both of my window motors eventually died after re greasing everything and replacing small parts. This worked for a while but we have now fitted a 88XJ6 Jag left hand side motor for drivers side (right in NZ, left for Euro) and right for left (work that one out Lol), seems to work well for now. I got mine from a Jaguar car wreckers and got them to test it for me before I bought it.

Regards,

Kylie

350.gifNo.23

• 3 months later...

Just for the feedback, I finally ordered 2 motors from "window lift motors" (http://www.windowmotor.com/),

the seller sells via ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-XJS-...sspagenameZWDVW

it fits perfectly in my 88' Turbo as they are stricly identical to the original ones...

They are not cheap but the price is reasonnable, these motors are rebuild and they are working fine and strong,

Hope it could help, Nice evening,

how come you don't order the parts from SJ Sportscar UK??

I ordered mind there

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the 10 teeth motor is not available from SJS, I asked [email protected] before,

this particular motor (cf picture), which is the same on somes 90' XJS, is not easy to find,

I guess it's not the same on the SE ?

+

• 4 months later...

When I had this problem a few years ago I discovered that the permanent magnet of the motor was not attached anymore to the (rusty inside) motorbody and as such the magnet touched the anchor of the motor which could not turn arround anymore. I just glued the magnet back to the motorbody and then the window motor was working again. A few months later it happened a second time and after fixing again it seems to be solved now.

you can buy a bosch window motor. it fits 100%. it is actually the same as the lotus part.

i even know of lotus parts sellers that sell these motors as is they where genuine lotus parts

they cost about 1/3 of the lotus price (

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing