free hit
counters
Elite/Eclat/Excel picture thread! - Page 17 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
gghc87

Elite/Eclat/Excel picture thread!

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 08:26, phoenix said:

Hi William. I assume your car is an early 520 and very nice it looks too. I have one myself, same colour with Wolfrace wheels. The 520 which came out in 1976 was the entry level car and to differentiate from the more oppulent elite had skinnier Ford Steel wheels with a different smaller PCD.  That meant the GKN alloys of elites and later éclats would not fit.  Any 520 éclat with GKN alloys must have had the hubs replaced. Although Lotus had a contract with Wofrace to supply alloys for the 1976 and 1977 Esprits, I am not sure if any éclats left the factory with Wolfies as I have never seen any evidence like a spec sheet to prove. I would imagine such an upgrade was carried out at Lotus dealers although these wheels were massively popular and fitted to many English cars of the era. I hope that helps. 

IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9038.PNG

IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_4331.JPG

Regards Roddy

Hi Roddy thanks for the info. And here's me thinking my Eclat was unique with its Wolfies. How quickly the forums can shoot one down in flames!! I had heard the early Eclats were fitted with Plus2 hubs?? To use them up" a la Chapmans" frugal policy waste not want not!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
14 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Hi Roddy thanks for the info. And here's me thinking my Eclat was unique with its Wolfies. How quickly the forums can shoot one down in flames!! I had heard the early Eclats were fitted with Plus2 hubs?? To use them up" a la Chapmans" frugal policy waste not want not!!

I really don't know why Lotus should have gone to the expense of making different hubs for an 'entry level' model, the Elite and presumably Esprit already had Triumph hubs on the front, why not just fit Triumph steels from a GT6/Spitfire or Vitesse? 

Perhaps the offset of the Triumph wheels didn't give the right wheel track for the more stringent handling characteristics. that would have meant spacers which are a real pig.

That could be true, but Chapman would not have missed the opportunity to sell the Woolfies as accessories.

1 hour ago, GerardJPC said:

Chapman would have sold the air for the tyres if he could! Special Hethel air, of course. 

Almost as good and as scarce as Heilan Mist.

On the 520, there was a dealer option alloy wheel offered, but it was the "Electron" style alloy rather than the wolfrace, which I believe was only ever a popular aftermarket choice.

I'm told the steel wheels fitted to the 520 are of lotus cortina dimensions and are worth a fair bit nowdays... no direct knowledge myelf - just what somebody once told me.

10 hours ago, mpse14 said:

I really don't know why Lotus should have gone to the expense of making different hubs for an 'entry level' model, the Elite and presumably Esprit already had Triumph hubs on the front, why not just fit Triumph steels from a GT6/Spitfire or Vitesse? 

Who knows the inner working of the genius mind!!

I have 75 which is a pre production Eclat, she sits on triumph pcd. Colin must have had lots and lots of plus two parts available to break production to use up parts. But surely the parts book should answer the question?

I don't think so. (although my memory isn't what it used to be!) Many years ago when I first got the car and checked what brakes I needed to replace the ones that were on, they were totally different and I ended up just taking the old ones to the garage.  I found out later that the ones I had, were fitted to the Plus Two.

• The bloke was sublime, saved money using plus two parts up and then saved money skimping on the parts book. 

On 12.10.2017 at 16:56, pbharcourt said:

Grandsons picture of my Lotis:lol:

Start them young!

IMAG2355.jpg

Seems to me, that your car is slightly blowing.... :ph34r:

Time for some additions too.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_5919.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Jean, the interior is not in a top condition. I have tried to make it more usable and after this, it had to be overhauled for the complete front seats, the dash and the A pillar. But due to a change in my personal situation it will not be done in the next 1-2 years. Until this, I will use it in this state nevertheless. It does too much fun and of course they suffer from not being used.

IMG_0013.JPG.168678d79c4e1a7c5b261247972

• Like 1

That does look tempting! If only it had been for sale a year ago...

Anybody interested in an early Excel? :ph34r:

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Yo could be right Dan, I think he had about 6 cars in all that came from a clearance or something similar, but not sure.

I have a feeling that if the seller hasn't got a link to the now defunct "London Lotus Centre" he must have got them from a guy who has. There have been Lotus cars for sale on and off from that area for as long as I can remember, I heard that it was possibly the son of one of their employees from years ago. A friend of mine went to look at one of the cars years ago, but didn't buy one, eventually bought a used Elise from  Strattons

Hi Filip...No No........That excell should be in a nice dry garage.Looks great I like the early cars on the toyota wheels.Mery Christmas .....Mike