free hit
counters
My Eclat website - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nickfire

My Eclat website

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Loving the work.

BTW, you say about getting rid of the ram pipes when you fit the air box, they belong inside the air box, so don't get rid of them

Edited by andydclements

Excellent job! You are to be commended for your patience and perseverance. Thanks for documenting your work in photos!

Really enjoyed taking a look at the website. Keep up the good work and keep posting updates, I'll be watching.

Love the website nick, it'll help me a lot as I do up my Elite S1!

You'll be hearing a lot from me over the summer me thinks.

looking at your resto on your car reminds me so much of the yellow S1 I did....

It will be a fabulous looking car when finished. In my opinion an S1 eclat in lotus yellow is the prettiest eclat there is. We have discussed this before and I know everyone has there own opinions, but for me, the colour combination on the one you have is about as good as it gets.

I know Nick has already seen what became of my yellow S1 on the facebook group, but for the others, it is the 521 in my garage.... not a pretty site. The fire happened 2 days after I got an invite to exhibit the car at Bromley P on the NK club lotus display. I had to phone Rodger back and tell him what had happened. Voice was cracking....

I'd done less than 400 miles since finishing the resto...

:-(

Where are you based Duncan? I used to go to NKLoG in Sevenoaks!

Nick,

Nice pictures, although I feel rather lucky that mine isn't such a lot of work.

Regards the interior, I see you have a beige nylon trim like mine. Are you scrapping that? If so, do you have the original matching headline material? I am restoring my old interior, and the headlining is the same fabric as the seats, and a very useful source of patching material. If the answer is yes to all of the above, I would love to buy the old headlining off of you.

Cheers

Mark

Where are you based Duncan? I used to go to NKLoG in Sevenoaks!

I'm in Purley/Coulsdon up in Surrey nowdays. Until 4 years ago I lived in Maidstone and would go along to the NK evening when they met at the White Hart in Sevenoaks (think they meet somewhere else now?). They were a nice bunch - Have happy memories of an indian at the Raj in Biggin Hill after Bromley Pageant, with a car park chock full of Loti. I think my 521 only made an appearance in Sevenoaks two or three times however, as most of the time it was being worked on in my garage.

It didn't last very long after it was finally finished...

I've been to one Surrey meet, (Dec) and intend to go on a more regular basis this year.

I'm in West Malling, used to head to Sevenoaks when I lived in Beckenham a few years back.

The Bromley Pageant was on our list of events but Howard Emes who runs NKLoG told me that new organisers have turned it into a farce so they no longer attend either.

yes, bromley does seem to have gone a bit saxo.

Although there was a great display of sporting renaults and some nice americana, the emphasis does seem to have moved from classics to max power. and there were some truly appalling chav mobiles on display last year.

There is a renault 21 turbo near to where I live that makes me want to sob whenever I see it and what the owner has done to it... it is like cruelty to animals. There should be a publically appointed moderator in every branch of halfords that takes the keys off people who spend more than 200 quid on "bodystyling", lurid paint and neons...

Howard was a good old sort...they all were. I'm not sure if he would remember me nowdays, but say hello to him from me if you see him. As surrey is not too far from kent, I might pop downt to one of their meets in the summer and see if the chaps from a few years ago are still around.

D

@nick

great web-page!! i like your sentence "The only way to really see the extent of the rust attacking the rear crossmember is too lift the body off"

this should be written on every garage wall of original chassis´ cars.....lol....

the rear crossmember on my 1st eclat looked similar to yours...the car had 30000miles driven by the 1st owner and the chassis needed to be replaced when the car was 12years old.

i´ve seen you refurbished the rear brakes and gave the diff a frsh coat of paint. i´m missing new (oil-)seals on the diff. i would recommend to do that to be on the safe side, even when you havent found any leaks.

the old oil seals will eventually start leaking when you re-activate your car after the restoration.

Thanks for all the kind comments.....

Herc....my headlining is ok....its the seat covers that need sorting.

Elite7....thaks for the advice on the diff oil seals.

I have just been to get some new bushes to put the rear suspension together and put the diff back into place....The price for the rubber bushes is silly....would have cost £200......had to just get a few to keep me going.

Really good to see people restoring these cars, for a while it seemed they were all destined to get really sheddy or hit Ebay as wrecks.

Is it me or does it seem there is a real revival in interest for these cars now?

:)

Gr8 Job you're doing there Nick,

My first reading through your journal has already put 2 additional items on my mechanics "to do" list, so thank you for trailblazing for me.

Seeing your chassis reminds me how lucky I am my car has lived most of it's life in sunny Thailand.

I've now got the beams out of the doors and I'm confident they are as sound as the day they were made - I hope you have the same good fortune (unlike your chassis)

Your site is now on my Favorites list so I'll be popping back regularly..............

Hi Nick. Great websight, looks like you are carrying on where Haynes left off. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Just read through the whole web site and it's brilliant. I admire your perseverance and your family's patience on this long road. You seem to have done nearly all the work yourself.

One question you didn't answer is why you started the project in the first place. What drew you to the Eclat?

The trials you had getting the chassis from under the car remind me of when I changed the chassis on my Elan +2. I had got it as high as I could or dared but the cylinder still wouldn't clear. So I had to let the tyres down. Success!

Should be a great car when you are finished. Well done.