free hit
counters
Pulley Alignment ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bobfogle

Pulley Alignment ?

Has anyone had this problem ??

My S1 907 has been out of the car for new timing belt, new water pump, etc. When I re-installed the new water pump and the alternator, I found that the crank pulley, the alternator pulley and the water pump pulley do not line up. The crank has 2 pulleys - one lines up with the alternator and one lines up with the water pump. see picture below.

post-652-126887387877_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't all be on the same belt? If not - what is the correct belt/pulley layout.

The engine had an air conditioning pump which I don't want to reinstall.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Bob

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bob,

I'm not real familiar with the earlier models but according to the S1 parts manual you should have 2 belts, one for alt. and one for water pump. It looks like your setup is fine.

Hope that helps.

Jim

There's one belt for the alternator, which is adjustable for tension by moving the alternator on its pivot bolt then locking it with the other fixing. The waterpump belt is non-adjustable and has to be the correct length..and fitting it is a bit of a fiddle as you have to get the thing over the pulley!! Best done by getting it as far on as possible then turning the engine to do the final bit. Don't get your fingers caught...!!

Hi Bob,

If you become a full member of the forum you'll get access to the parts manuals ( in the sponsors and paid members discount section) which have some useful diagrams that you may find helpful.

CJ

Don't forget to install (or at least loop around) the alternator belt before you do the water pump belt! :thumbup:

Edited by Tony K

Hi Gang:

Thanks for the help. All you guys are great.

Bob