free hit
counters
Replacing a broken throttle cable and alternator - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JinSC

Replacing a broken throttle cable and alternator

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, it's nice to meet everyone. Before posting, I used the "search" feature here, but I still couldn't find the answers I needed. I've also got the Lotus Esprit Service Notes, but it doesn't mention anything about throttle cable replacement and removing the alternator.

Anyways, I've got a 1988 Esprit Turbo(USA) and about one weeks ago, the throttle cable (attached to the accelerator pedal) snapped and I was left stranded on the freeway in the middle of the night. I towed it back home (almost 100 miles) and now it's sitting in my garage. I just recently ordered a new cable for it and it should arrive tomorrow or Friday.

My first question is, will I be able to install the cable myself or will I need to take it to a shop to have it replaced? I've got moderate mechanical knowledge; oil changing, tune-ups, brake servicing, etc., but I've never had to replace a throttle cable before.

I've read on the LEW maintenance page, the procedure for replacing the cable, but it was for a 1987 Turbo Esprit HC. I'm not sure if it's the same steps for my model year. If not, does anyone know the actual procedures?

Second, I need to remove my alternator to have it rebuilt. I've replaced quite a few alternators on my other cars (Honda, Nissan, Dodge, etc.), but this one looks quite difficult because of where it's placed. Again, the service notes doesn't state the procedures for removing it. Can anyone explain to me the proper procedures or direct me to website which can help?

Your help in solving these issues is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It really is all very basic. The throttle cable arrangement has changed little so the guide you found should not too dissimilar to your arrangement.

The only tip I'd give is that on the footwell sidewall there is a small bracket that holds the outer sheathing in place. It's easy for this to drop out when your connecting up

the engine end. It may be slightly different on your car so just take it one step at a time.

Take lots of photos and put a guide up for others in the future.

The alternator is again fairly basic, it's just slightly difficult to get to. To make your job easier it mat be worth disconnecting the tailgate gas struts and securing the tailgate at a much steeper angle.

Mark up your electrical connections and then remove the securing bolts and pivot rod and your done.

Again, if it helps, take some photos for reference, it may help with reinstallation later.

I honestly don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll probably work on the car this weekend. If I have any problems, I'll let you know.

I finished replacing the throttle cable :)

It was actually quite simple. I took some pictures of every step as Simon350s had suggested however, I accidently stepped on my digicam and broke it :) , although I believe the memory card is still intact. If that's the case, I'll post the pictures here later. The following are the steps I used to install the new throttle cable (Please note, I removed the steering wheel to gain easier access to the pedal and cable).

1) Peeled down the carpeting on the side of the driver's footwell near the accelerator pedal to expose the throttle cable.

2) Removed the "C" clip which holds the cable in place.

3) Removed the throttle cable from the throttle body.

4) Due to the age of the vehicle, the black outer cover of the cable was sticking to the clear/yellow, plastic throttle cable conduit/tube. I sprayed a good amount of penetrating lubricant (i.e., WD40, Zep45) into the conduit/tube to help the cable slide out easier. It's a good idea to raise this tube vertically to allow the lubricant to travel as far down as possible.

5) After a bit of slight tugging and pulling at both ends of the cable, it finally unstuck and began sliding back and forth through the tube with ease. I then pulled the old cable out from the engine bay.

6) I fed the new cable into the conduit/tube until it emerged in the footwell. The penetrating lubricant which I sprayed into the tube earlier made this step a lot easier, but be aware of excess lubricant which could drip from the footwell end of the tube.

7) Fed the new cable through the carpet and then attached it to the clevis on the accelerator pedal.

8) Attached the cable to the "C" hold-down clip and replaced the carpet.

9) Attached the new cable to the throttle body.

And that's pretty much it. I test drove the car for several miles and everything seems to be working perfectly.

As for the alternator issue, it looks to be too much work for me to undertake, so I'm just going to bring it to my mechanic. Again, thanks for the tips and advice everyone. Take care!