free hit
counters
Anti Roll Bar Problems - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
garytvr

Anti Roll Bar Problems

I removed the stirring rack from my S1 to replace the rubber boot and also the ARB for a little cleaning.

After replacing everything the stirring rack ball joint is now hitting the ARB. It didn't before.

The ARM has a slight curl up at the ends - maybe 6 mm (1/4 inch) - when placed on the floor.

What could have happened?

Thanks

Gary

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On the later cars the ARB was orientated such that the ends (that attach to the lower wishbones) were horizontal (or near enough) when in place. Would that indicate if the ARB is the correct way up?

Hope that's of some help.

Andy

Hopefully this will help show which way round the ARB should go.

Pete

DSCF3689-1.jpg

Pete thanks for the picture. My ARB looks nothing like the one pictured. If you were to lay mine on the

floor it would be almost flat. Installed and the springs compressed the ball joints hit the ARB and you can't

get full lock.

Sorry Gary, I assumed S1/S2 ARBs were the same. Anyone?

I have an early S2. Unlike Petes I have a flat ARB and an upright radiator like the S1.

Apologies for the poor photos.

Paul

Gary

After I rebuilt my S2 years ago and came back to to get it on the road recently I found that there was no adjustment left on the track rods to get the tracking right, I eventually found that that the rack is height adjustable ie it can be clamped at different heights on its mounting points. If you unclamp the the rack and try raising it, the steering arms should clear the anti roll bar.

Regards Chris

I really don't see much adjustment in the ARB height. I thought maybe the flat ARB was something somebody made up. However, there is a parts chassis not far from my house. I looked at that roll bar and it looks like Pete's so I bought it and now there is plenty of clearance.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Gary

It's the steering rack that's moveable up and down.

I'd rather find the problem rather than manufacturing a solution, somethings not right now, if the rack is too low and is causing the interference then there's also a possability the spline for the rack where it fits into the steering column universal joint is not in far enough and that's a worry!

On the Elan, you raise or lower the rack to eliminate the bump steer. Isn't it the same on the Esprit? If so, you shouldn't go moving it up or down from the factory settings without thinking carefully.

On the Elan, you raise or lower the rack to eliminate the bump steer. Isn't it the same on the Esprit? If so, you shouldn't go moving it up or down from the factory settings without thinking carefully.

I'd agree but the rack has been removed from the car and put back on so there is a good chance that the rack is now mounted at it's lowermost position hence the interference.

Trevor, what are the factory settings? When i removed my rack i did'nt realise it was adjustable otherwise i would have marked its position. The mounting slots are approx. two to three inches long but where do you mount the rack, half way, threequarters? I bolted mine so it cleared the anti roll bar but it was only a guess.

Chris