free hit
counters
Spillage when fueling - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thom_77

Spillage when fueling

Hey guys - out of curiosity, do you need to be very careful when fueling your cars? Like, by not letting the pump run at full speed?

I ask because whenever I fill up, no matter how empty or full my tanks are, I need to just barely squeeze the pump handle to let the petrol flow very slowly, otherwise it just spills right up out of the filler and ruins my wax job.

Its really not that much of an inconvenience, just curious.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, me too..they don't fill quickly. I do find that, if you find the right angle of dangle for the nozzle, the stuff does go in quicker, though. My old Airtourer aeroplane was slooow filler too...refuelled it at Norwich once en route to Amsterdam...it filled so slowly that the Veeder counter on the bowser didn't work, and we had to negotiate how much we'd had with the bowser driver!!

On my S2 I've found inverting the nozzle gets deeper into the filler neck and pumps quicker.

And of course I'm assuming that you remove the filler cap on the opposite side as well?

I don't know if its psychological but I feel like it should fill quicker that way so I always remove both.

I have only fuelled my Esprit S2 on three occasions so far and have not cracked how to fill up quickly yet. Its always been a very slow job.

Meeting an S2 expert tomorrow and will be asking him how its done!

Remove both fuel caps when filling, even if your fueling just one tank. This allows the expelled air to escape - fuel in one neck, air out the other. Do this all the time with my S1, never had a problem with flow or blow back.

I sometimes have better luck if I rotate the pump handle/nozzle to some un-natural angle in the neck. It usually works better for me with the nozzle/handle "upside down" in the neck with the hose pointing up somewhere from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. I can usually find a "sweet spot" like that and fill it up faster.

Just to be safe, I always grab a few paper towels and wrap them around the nozzle where it goes into the neck, to prevent splattering/reduce spilling.

- T

Interesting thread, I usually end up with petrol down the side of the car.

Often wondered if removing the other petrol cap really makes much of a difference as it doesn't seem very airtight to me!

Which way does the filler pipe actually go down to the tanks once it goes into the car? I seem to find i gas up quicker when I point the nozzle towards the front of the car when filling.

Adam

I always rotated the nozle until I got the least messy feed. It usually ended up upside down and pointing towards the front to get the nozzle further down the tube. I usually took the other cap off anyway as I ususaly filled the car.

Geting the last coupld of gallons in was always a slow process, mind you.

Been thinking about this since I first filled up.

I was wondering about some sort of 'bib' I could carry in the car. It could clip over the open filler hole and hang down, protecting the paintwork from inevitable spills. Could be a nice soft material car side and a petrol impervious material on the other.

Could even be really clever and funnel the spilt fuel into a small pot which you could then empty into the tank at the end. Not sure about that last bit! would save your shoes also though. Depends on how much spill we are getting I guess.

Anyway, you could wipe down the bib at the end with service station towels so your car doesnt smell more petrolly than usual!

Just something for everyone to be aware of. According to a fuel station over here, the nozzles auto click off on back pressure only operates correctly when the nozzle is in it's normal position.Though by the sounds of things, most of you guys don't have an issue so maybe the click off works in any position?

easy fix

get an old radiatior slight bent radiator hose and cut to 6-8 inches as an extender. fills without it slashing back at you

cheers pp

Like that, please expand...