free hit
counters
Elite boot floor lining and carpet - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Herc

Elite boot floor lining and carpet

I'm restoring a '79 Elite and can't figure out how the boot lining and carpet was original done. Was there a board of some sort covering the floor and the fuel pump recess? Was it split into two to make it removable?

Also, my car has a fuel pipe running over the boot floor which seems prone to being crushed by lugagge. Surely the fuel pipes should all route around the sides?

Any thoughts welcome

Herc

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On mine (1981) there was the flimsiest bit of fibreboard "floor" covering the jack handle etc. The carpet sat on top attached by press studs to the fibreglass floor.

The board did not extend into the side recesses completely allowing it's removal, so just under the rear washer bottle (if you have one) is effectively unsupported carpet, and to the right is a tool/jack box covering the battery.

Lotus varied this kind of thing so often with production yours may not be exactly the same of course.

As I recall there was a battery cover made of some of the thinnest wood/cardboard know to British unions in the 1970's!

Most of these have now rotted away so you need to fabricate something yourself.

Dermot

Dermot

When I bought the car it was minus the batter cover, but I managed to buy one from a chap in Belgium via Ebay. It fits / matches a treat. I can also see two press studs on the floor by the battery, but none on the nearside. If LooseCannon is right, there never was a cover for the nearside. Weird, but not that hard to believe. I think I might make something up to cover it properly.

Cheers

Herc

My last post was incorrect - I can find on stud on the near side, in the far back corner.

Meanwhile, here is a rather poor quality picture of the strange fuel pipe routing. Ignore the hardura on the floor, that is definitely a modification, but the pipe across the floor is surely madness?

eliteboot.jpg

Cheers

Herc

That pipe looks like it's been carved into the floor, possibly to make access to the fuel filter easier. Mine filter was quite possibly the original when I bought it at 28 years old! It was a twat to get at without causing leaks, which probably explains my situation, and yours above.