free hit
counters
ABS light permanently on - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
arbell9

ABS light permanently on

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Espritmon will communicate with your ABS, give that a go so you can see the error codes. Might just be a sensor has come unclipped/popped out/knackered.

Have a look at this topic a couple down the page...

Thanks Bibs, i will need to get ecu cable and software to check that. The wheels will come off on sunday so i can have a look and the sensor.

Alex,

Bring your car round to mine on Sunday and I'll have a look at it.

PM or email me. You also have my number.

David

HI all,

my ABS light is permanently on. Where do I start to find the fault?

cheers

Alex

Note that Espritmon will NOT work with the Kelsey-Hayes ABS !!

I don't know what's in your GT3, but since Lotus switched to the Kelsey Hayes in 1996 you may need to verify you still have the Delco Moraine IIIA

Good luck,

Erik

Alex's GT3 is the last ever made 4 cylinder car so it should be fitted with the latest sytem so as youve just said Erik, Espritmon may not be any use at all.

Can't offer any advice on fixing it mate as its most probably a computer diagnostics job to identify which sensor is at fault, if indeed that is the case. Could be as simple as a faulty conection as its an outdoor car that you use in all weather.

Your first fault with your car Alex, not too bad at all!

Well, i have looked at bits i can see and take off. The sensors on the wheels just look normal form the outside, i took each one off and cleaned it up and gave the brakes and wheels a good clean to. Popped it all back togther and the light is still on. I checked the fuse and its fine.

So that means I will have to take it to a garage to get diagnosed. I am off over easter so will probably do it then.

Also whilst i had my hands mucky , I took the dump valve off and stripped it down and cleaned it. Sounds quieter now, dont know why.

So unless anyone in the northwest knows how to fix the ABS, it's going to cost some cash.

Alex,

Simon mentioned but you didn't confirm if your system is the Delco-Moraine or the Kelsey-Hayes. Which is it?

Jim

You might try checking your brake pedal switch and brake light fuses and high mount stop lamp if you have one. On the Delco system the brake light system and abs ecu are interconnected and if there is a problem with the lamp wiring it will throw the abs light.

I'm not sure if the K/H abs system is wired the same as the Delco but this is worth a look. I do know that the brake switch is an integral part of your system.

Hi Alex,

Bring your car round anytime and I'll have a look at it. Might even be able to borrow a sensor or two. I can test each sensor for you.

Give me a bell.

David Walters

Hi All,

eventually had to take the car to Chris Neills to get the fault diagnosed. It was a front right ABS sensore blown or an open circuit somewhere in the wiring. So i went for the replace the sensor which I did at home tonight. Its a tricky bugger to get out of the fixing plate and a bugger to put the new one in. Anyway, I was patient with it and managed to get the new one in a fixed up. NO ABS light, yay, :) I fixed it.

So i cleaned up and took her out for a spirited drive and some test braking to see if the ABS was functioning normally. 25 mins and all ok.

2 mins form home ABS light came on again, and also simultaneously the flickering odometer started. So something has blown it or another sensor again or there is some duff wiring connection!

Where do I start with finding the electrical fault, will any good auto electrician be able to pip in down.

Looks like it may have to go to the dealer for another diagnosis.

Talk about the ups and downs of owning a car like this. Sheeesh :)

Alex.

I'm joining the Faulty ABS Club! Light permanently on.

Alex - any resolution yet?

Dave - I have Espritmon up and running so we'll have a good look on Thursday.

I have the T000T1307F calibration module - just need a Tech 1 now. :X

Gary I went out for a drive with Espritmon and it only tells me when I stop that my lights are on. No errors found? But it will be a leason for us both to find the error's on our cars.

Edited by Petrol feet driven