free hit
counters
rear valance fit with performance exhaust - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
docbtall

rear valance fit with performance exhaust

Hello All !!

I hope every one is doing well. Well I have a new challenge and I wondered if any one else has encountered this problem. Just to refresh all on me and my situation : I have wanted a Lotus since I was a kid but as life would have it I had to wait till it became part of my bucket list, ( as in I am getting ready to kick the bucket so better do it NOW), so I was able to find a much ignored 1978 S1 with only a little over 8,000 miles on it that has been ignored and a dealer who was going out of business sold it to me very cheap, so I could actually afford it. Any way it came needing basically some TLC but nothing dramatically wrong. One thing was the rear valance was off. I found out the reason was the previous owner had installed a performance exhaust and so the valance no longer fit. His resolution to the problem ? Just take it off. Of course it looks like Rhino crap, ( as opposed to elephant),. My only answer I have been able to come up with is to attempt to manufacture a custom rear valance which I am about to begin making a "one off" mold for. Before I commit a lot of time to this I thought I would ask if any one else has run into this and what your answers or suggestions might be. Essentially I need to create several inches of rear space to clear the exhaust. So any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to one and all for all your help with my previous problems and I am sure I will have more. In fact I am arguing with the headlights also right now which I think is a micro switch and bonnet mal-alignment problem, we will see. In return my only advice is to do what you enjoy now and not to wait in life until it becomes a part of YOUR bucket list, ( because none of us are getting out of this mess alive), enjoy life in the here and now do not wait for tomorrow, it may not end up being there. Thanks for the help !!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bruce,

Where are you? Your profile doesn't say. Depending on where you are, there may be help very close to you that can help out. :thumbup:

Does the original valance still exist? If so I would re-plumb the exhaust system to fit into the original opening. (There are plenty of aftermarket performance exhaust systems offered

by Lotus vendors designed to fit so I don't know why the previous owner went that route. If the old valance is not available I would search for one (likely available in UK scrap yards)

and have a muffler shop work with you to cut/re-weld to make it fit if you don't wish to fit in the correct aftermarket or original parts. (I have a wonderful Dave Bean 4-2-1 header into free-flow muffler that is all stainless steel that is still good looking after over 20 years on the car. Unfortunately, that particular exhaust is no longer made, but many others are out there. (the original Lotus system is restrictive and HEAVY -which is odd for a Lotus). The only difference noticeable, beside havong a nice stainless steel muffler on my car is the exhaust tip is

a single box style, vs the twin round conjoined pipes of the original. When I went the header route it was a bit of a bear to remove the original heavy (cast iron? exhaust manifold because of the limited nut access :thumbup:, but reinstalling the header gives much better access to the mount hardware should you ever need to go there again (I haven't needed to). :(

Bruce is in North East Ohio

http://www.thelotusf...05&#entry287205

I believe Tony K is in Toledo (I'm out Rochester, NY way and my local club is out of Buffalo.

SJ's do a rear valance for the S1, but I think it's a repro so some fettling will probably be required. Combine that with a new silencer you should be sorted.

SJ rear valance clicky.

Bruce -- I have a spare valance that has already been modified, sitting in a garage in the Cleveland area.

Not sure if it will fit for your situation, but I also have a modified exhaust system in good condition that does fit behind the valance that I don't want.

Check your email.

And if you still have the original valance, whatever you do, don't cut it up, please! (They are not available, and are different from the ones made for the the UK/RoW cars.)